UKC

Nancy Smith's Bunkhouse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Does anyone out there know anything about Nancy Smith who used to run a bunkhouse at Fersit right next to the West Highland line. I stayed there in 1981 and recently obtained a book from a Scottish source belonging to a Nancy Smith of Darwen - I wondered if it was the same person.
Post edited at 12:26
 Jim Braid 13 Dec 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I know a wee bit about Nancy. I was a frequent visitor to Glen Doll YH in the 1960's which she ran with her husband Danny. They split up and Nancy ended up running the bunkhouse at Fersit, I think with her son. She was a very strong hill walker - lots of stamina/endurance. I've no idea what the Darwen connection could be.
Removed User 13 Dec 2015

Hamish Brown might be able to help you.

http://www.hamishbrown.info
llechwedd 13 Dec 2015

Try asking Peter MacGowan Kemp via the FaceBook group 'Of Big Hills and Wee Men'.
In reply to Jim Braid:
Thanks for this contribution. When I first came up to Scotland (Stirling) I looked at several areas to explore and Glen Doll was one of them. I soon found that the YHA was long gone but thought there might be a campsite there where I could go with the campervan to get an early start. No such luck - no overnight parking and a hefty day rate. What a shame we aren't encouraged to visit these areas.
 Billhook 13 Dec 2015

There's been an obiturary I think on this site a few years ago and that had, I think quite a bit of history.

I stayed there with a friend who told me it was worth a visit away from the crowds. It was too. Lots of wood, lots of nice clutter and a genuine feeling that you were sharing her front room with her.

Nancy died quite a number of years ago. I last saw her at the summit of Ben Nevis back in 1986- she was attending the wedding of a mate of mine (also a friend of Nancy's) at the top of the Ben. I have fond memories of her hostel at Fersit from the 70's and 80's. One of her permanentresidents around then was Davie Glen - he of the Jock's Road incident and the building of Davie's Burach. I think her hostel even predated Gerry's at Achnasheen.
AS you say she was also a strong hill-woman. Sadly missed.
 HB1 13 Dec 2015

I stayed at Nancy's (not what I would call a bunkhouse) late 60s through to the late 70s. Always a great welcome from her and Davey Glen, her partner who was (he claimed) a Scottish champion "diddler" (I can do it, but hardly explain it). He and I used to make up songs together. Nancy knitted me the most marvellous Fairisle jumper (with beret to match). I have it still, but wear it only occasionally as it is very delicate (and old now, of course). I lost touch with them and the place. I remember the last time I called in it had an abandoned look. Nobody about, except a couple of cats the worse for wear

Nancy's, along with Gerry's in Achnashellach and Dave & Liz in Torridon were, I believe, the only independent hostels around at the time. Very fond memories of two of them!
In reply to HB1:

I was lucky enough to use all 3 hostels back in the early 1970's. Dave and Liz ran Glen Cottage right at the foot of Liathach. until 1973 when the NTS would not renew the lease. Liz stayed in a caravan at Gerry's for a number of years before moving back south. Dave has been living at Rosehall west of Lairg for over 30 years. Asa young climber new to the north-west in those days they were all wonderful havens - full of great characters, music and song. Dave's "January Man " is in my opinion one of the best songs ever written.
In reply to HB1:
Thanks for this - I am intrigued by your comment - 'not what I would call a bunkhouse' - can you expand on this please.
 streapadair 13 Dec 2015

Peter Kemp posted about a dozen photos of Fersit on an epic thread on Scottish Hills, mainly about Bad Bob. They're round about this page
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...
and following ones.

Some of Gerry Howkin's place too.
 HB1 14 Dec 2015

Nancy's was just that - her home, which she shared with those oddballs who liked that kind of thing. it predated the whole independent hostel/bunkhouse thing. It had soul
 Fat Bumbly2 14 Dec 2015
In reply to HB1:

Says it all. Nothing like anywhere I have stayed since, apart from perhaps the odd Norwegian hut with locals in. A truly amazing place run by a truly amazing woman.

There was very much a set of regulars who you would often meet there, and Fasgadh was very much a second home during the 1980s. Nancy was a keen traveller who would get around - remember her hitching back from Manchester Airport on Christmas Day. She also hitched to Edinburgh for our wedding. Sadly missed, and thanks for posting this thread, made my day.
 Mick Ward 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Made my day too and sadly I know nothing of these people, apart from an obituary some time ago. Our world needs more characters such as these!

Mick
 dek 14 Dec 2015

If you Google Forfar and district Hillwalking club, June 2009 Newsletter 33. You can download the Pdf, with some old photos, showing Nancy, (whilst a YHA warden at Glendoll) humphing a load up to Davies hut on Jocks Road, and Davie's photo in a group of walkers somewhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...