UKC

Star Wars. The Force Awakens.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arch 13 Dec 2015

We've watched the first 6 films together on numerous occasions.

I'm 51, my Daughter is 23. She can't wait. I hope I'm not the only "Oldie" in the cinema.

You going ??

Edit:

My Daughter is 23. She can't wait.

.................Neither can I.
Post edited at 18:48
Graeme G 13 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

Last three destroyed it for me.

No.
In reply to arch:

Nope. The English language doesn't contain words that can describe accurately the extent of my disinterest. Never seen any of the films all the way through, just caught the odd bit here and there when someone else was watching and I was eating my tea, or similar. It's not just Star Wars either; Star Trek too. I've organised an event for Stargazing Live but just can't bear the programmes. I think it's pretty much 'Star...' anything.

It's me, I know. Plenty people my age love all that stuff but whatever it is, I'll be doing something else.

Hope both you and your daughter love it and have a tremendous time.

T.
 Dax H 13 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

Looking forward to watching it but it won't be at the cinema. Far too expensive.
I will wait for the dvd.
OP arch 13 Dec 2015

In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Last or first, there is a difference you know.
Graeme G 13 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

> In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Last or first, there is a difference you know.

Pedant. You know fine well what I mean! The original three were rubbis. The ones with Ewan McGregor were mmuch better
OP arch 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Ewan Mahogany was particularly poor I'll agree, and the first ( 1 to 3) were bad, but 4 to 5 (Different director for 5) were ok, 6 was back to normal But, but it's Star Wars. A little like Jaws, crap, but good in the same film.
 toad 13 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

<spaced> Was it Jar Jar Binks? </spaced>
 ScottTalbot 13 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

I'll be going to see it. From the trailers, it looks like it'll be great! I didn't mind the prequels, to be honest.. They weren't a patch on the original three, but I still enjoyed the over all story.
 goose299 13 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

Got tickets to midnight showing on Thursday
Can't wait!!
 Coel Hellier 13 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

So, for someone who has not been following the hype ...

Where is this one in the sequence?
 Siward 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Coel Hellier:

It's episode 7.

The original 70s films were episodes 4, 5 and 6

The ludicrous newer films were episodes 1, 2 and 3.

Episode 7 is the first instalment of the final trilogy.

Hope that's clear ...
 Mal Grey 13 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

I absolutely loved the original three (4-6), but I was the right age, and the excitement of going to see those at the cinema was brilliant. Yes they've aged, but that original magic has never gone away entirely.
The prequels did little for me, the first being truly awful, just not the same at all.

So, part of me says avoid like the plague. But part of me says, "but its got Han Solo, Chewie, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker in it, how could I not go and see it".

These days I rarely go to the cinema, so I'll probably end up seeing a load of mixed reviews, not ever quite get round to going, and see it on the telly in 2 years time...
 Philip 13 Dec 2015
There are only 3 star wars films. It's not normal to count parody films when numerating films in a franchise.

I'm not taking chances this time. I'm being hypnotised first, then if I like it I tell a friend, after the film the hypnotist will make me forget it. Then my friend will let me watch it (again) if i liked it.
 ThunderCat 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Philip:

Everyone is so quick to forget the Star Wars Holiday Special

youtube.com/watch?v=Z4CtXcjib4o&

"The special from 1978 really didn't have much to do with us, you know. I can't remember what network it was on, but it was a thing that they did. We kind of let them do it. It was done by... I can't even remember who the group was, but they were variety TV guys. We let them use the characters and stuff and that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but you learn from those experiences." ~ George Lucas
 didntcomelast 14 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:
There are a group of 12 of us in total going to watch the film, me, my daughter (23) her partner, his family - parents 62 & 60 respectively, my brother in law and several other friends of various ages.

The force is strong within us all.
In reply to arch:

Off to see it with old school friends this Friday at 9.
Really looking forward to it .
I hope JJ has done a good job.

:-D
 LastBoyScout 14 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

Really looking forward to seeing - need to find someone to go with, though, as my wife isn't at all interested and I'd like to see it on the big screen.

Some interesting articles about that I've stumbled across:
youtube.com/watch?v=wGieq00_yfE&
http://decider.com/2015/12/11/the-radicalization-of-luke-skywalker-a-jedis-...
 The Pylon King 14 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

Wont be the same without Jon Pertwee.
 Clarence 14 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

I remember dragging my dad to the cinema to see the first film in 78 and safe to say he wasn't a fan. Half a lifetime later and he is dragging me to the cinema to see the latest one and I'm the one not keen on going. Probably won't go until later in the run though.
 neilh 14 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

Yep. Sometime next week with my 16 yr old daughter, my 19 year old is not interested. My brother in law is mad keen and has booked tickets for his lot straight from school on Thursday, his children are twins @ 6 and 1 at 8. The excitment in their house is something to behold( very funny).
 planetmarshall 14 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

Watched the first film "Episode IV" for the first time in a while the other day. It was a bit rubbish, and the dialogue was atrocious. "Give me the location of the secret rebel base!" FFS... really? The VFX still hold up pretty well, though.
 Welsh Kate 14 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

I hated what JJ Abrams did to Star Trek. I hope he doesn't do the same to Star Wars since I will be going to see it. I can still quote huge chunks of dialogue from the original movies, there is nothing memorable (at least for me) from the more recent trio.
cap'nChino 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Dax H:

> Looking forward to watching it but it won't be at the cinema. Far too expensive.

> I will wait for the dvd.

I can't quite get to grasp with that concept.

IMAX 3D of Star Wars costs £15 which I probably about the price of the DVD. Granted you own the DVD, but how many times will you watch it?

Now if you wanted to avoid the cinema so you don't have to put up the gobshites in the general public I could definitely grasp that.
 ti_pin_man 15 Dec 2015
In reply to arch:

Yep, going next Thursday as a 'team building' exercise for Xmas, still no idea how we got that past the boss. The original three (4, 5 and 6) were ace and I was also the right age/generation to appreciate them. The second three were ok (1, 2 and 3), not offensive but didn't truly knock me out. I look forward to this one, trailers look more like the originals, a little less cgi looking, a little more dirt. We will see. Cant wait.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...