UKC

Suggestions for good to average Gear for a walk in the Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
frankboase 14 Dec 2015
Thinking of going for a walk in the Pyrenees, any useful suggestions for inexpensive gear, much appreciated...Thanks
 Doug 14 Dec 2015
In reply to frankboase:

if you want useful replies maybe add where, what season, etc?
 JJL 14 Dec 2015
In reply to frankboase:

GR10 summer. Doable solo. Normal uk hiking gear.
HRP summer. Doable solo. Ice axe and crampons.
GR10 winter. Doable solo. Ice axe and crampons.
HRP winter. Not sensible solo. Rope, axe, crampons
 Doug 14 Dec 2015
In reply to JJL:

anything in winter - skis or snowshoes
In reply to frankboase:

Good to average would probably describe most Decathlon gear (readily available in France & UK) tho compared to high quality kit it is cheap tat. Alpkit do some good stuff too.
 BnB 15 Dec 2015
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

> Good to average would probably describe most Decathlon gear (readily available in France & UK) tho compared to high quality kit it is cheap tat.

Blimey Nik, I hope you've got your hard hat on

Doug 15 Dec 2015

have you ever bought/used anything from Decathlon ? its not all their own brands, and much of that is pretty good
In reply to Doug:

Oh yes indeed - my expensive kit is Decathlon own brand. I like Decathlon. My opening line was that good to average would probably describe most Decathlon gear. My cheap tat comes from Aldi (I'm very satisfied with my £7 Crane Sports softshell trousers & £8 jacket - they take loads of abuse without upsetting my wallet) or charity shops. But if it's quality/branded kit sold in Decathlon, then it isn't really Decathlon kit. Compared to the waterproofs (jackets only!!) recently reviewed on these pages costing from £280 - 440, my new £5.99 Decathlon own-brand is a steal (will it keep out snow? maybe, hopefully) but probably counts as cheap tat!! Those who pay hundreds of £££s & more to kit themselves out would likely/ generally/probably consider Decathlon own - brand/budget kit to be distinctly inferior (otherwise they'd be dressed differently with money jingling in their pockets). Personally I cannot judge the improved qualities of the expensive products, as I have never splashed out for high spec/high cost kit. My earlier comment was more a judgement on the £1000 one could be recommended to pay/parted from for some waterproofs & a down jacket - do they outperform the Decathlon equivalents for £250 by 4 times. However, Decathlon own-brand rock shoes are tat!!
In reply to BnB:

Ha!! Nik
frankboase 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Doug:
Hi Doug, Yeah ok guess early summer, I am definitely NOT planning to make an epic of this (of course who knows how it may turn out)
Post edited at 04:11
frankboase 26 Dec 2015

Hi, Wow I'm amazed that so much good gear is available.
I'm, living in Philippines and we have nothing like this
In reply to frankboase:

The choice is amazing, & the range of prices quite startling! Have fun shopping around, & enjoy your Pyrenean adventure. Nik
Removed User 26 Dec 2015
In reply to frankboase:

I've done a complete traverse of the Pyrenees using the GR10,HRP and GR11 over 4 holidays. Started off with fairly cheap kit .50litre sac about £50,Gelert 1 man tent £25 (like sleeping in a coffin) not tested in heavy rain, Gelert version of pocketrocket stove about £10, sleeping bag from Lidl £25 (these are brilliant for the price- 3 season but a bit heavy if youre trying to go extra light) . The changes over the next three years included a superlight 60 litre sac from gossamer gear £180 and upgraded the tent to a 1 man terra nova Zaphyros (1.5kg) £140, Katoola crampons £45, and dbs of inflatable mats at £130 (need a bit of comfort for my old bones). Last 2 years I've used a 2 season bag a bit cold at 2300m in July (lots of snow around late last year. It seems the lighter you go the more you've got to pay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...