UKC

Nevis range - Poor conditions recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 partz 14 Dec 2015
Hi all

So our long awaited (and paid for :/ ) trip up to Nevis range is this weekend and to say its looking tropical is a bit of an understatement. Im assuming my "mint condition" plan is out the window, so can someone reccommend a summit route (I suppose up to III but I suspect lower is more likely) to Ben Nevis this weekend? I was thinking the CMD arete again, but if an alternative exists I'd rather do something new. Im also looking for something a bit more challenging than the tourist path ...

Many thanks in advance! Lets pray for a miracle

NottsRich 14 Dec 2015
In reply to partz:

Do you have transport? Can you go elsewhere?
 KA 14 Dec 2015
In reply to partz:
Ledge Route would be a reasonable option, which can be climbed under most conditions, and is fairly sheltered from fresh SW winds. You then have the option of descending via the CMD Arete if winds aren't too strong. There's a lot of snow up there are the minute, quite a bit of which will survive this upcoming thaw.
Post edited at 13:49
 CurlyStevo 15 Dec 2015
In reply to partz:
Yeah given the cold summer we had up here this winter has been quite disappointingly mild so far (with some weather just about cold enough for climbing high up here and there). Still its very often quite mild around this time of year, its common to get a few weeks of mild wet monsoon weather with freeze thaw on the higher tops in mid December.

There seems to be no end in sight for the trend of the current weather systems at the moment.

I would have thought the wind would be as bigger issue as anything else for this weekend btw.
Post edited at 09:40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...