UKC

Waterval Boven info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex the Alex 14 Dec 2015
Hey all,

I'm in SA in February and was hoping to spend a few weeks in Waterval Boven whilst out there. I've tried to get in touch with the hostel out there but havnt had much luck so thought I would ask here. Does anybody have any recommendations for accommodation there? Preferably at the cheaper end of the scale. Also is it necessary to hire a car out there or can you get there on public transport and get around the crags easily eneugh once there?

Cheers!

Alex

jon 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Alex the Alex:

When I was there there was a campsite on top of the crags. We had a tent but there were also bungalos for rent. One advantage of the tent was that each night I had a fresh scorpion on my pillow. Ah, those little luxuries...
 chris m fisher 14 Dec 2015

Check out Tranquilitas camp ground - it's a nice little spot at the top of the valley, with plenty of (great!) climbing within walking distance.

If you're based there, the only problem with not having a car would be getting into Boven for food/supplies, as it would be a bit of a trek on foot, though I'd imagine you'd be able to blag lifts of others staying there.

Anyway, great spot, enjoy!
 cat22 16 Dec 2015

Boven is fantastic, I loved the climbing there! We were there for a week in September 2014 and stayed at Tranquilitas campsite as mentioned above, which is a great place. It would definitely be much easier with a car if you're staying there - it was pretty quiet midweek while we were there. The nearby areas have the best easier climbing (<Fr6b).

Alternatively you can stay in the town - is this the hostel you tried? http://rocrope.com/ These guys gave us useful beta while we were there.

The guidebook is available for download here, if you haven't seen it: http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Waterval_Boven - it has some useful info on logistics.

Another advantage of having a car is that you can go to Kruger for rest days
Rigid Raider 16 Dec 2015
It's a stunning area. I went climbing there but somebody had already shinned up the route and left all the protection in place, which reduced it to an exercise in gymnastics.

While you're there get in touch with the owners of Heysbrook Lodge (can't find their website but this is the place: http://www.safarinow.com/go/heysbrooklodgewatervalonder/ ) and ask them to allow you explore the gold mine on their property, as well as the Boer war cemetery they discovered near the railway, which also has the graves of some people killed when a train left the tracks on the downhill curve. Ask them to tell you the story about the young son of the visitor who saw three British soldiers waiting under the big tree at the cemetery; the most convincing ghost story I've ever heard. If you fancy some real luxury, go and stay at the lodge. I haven't checked the prices but with the Rand at its present rate, it might turn out to be affordable.
Post edited at 08:37
OP Alex the Alex 17 Dec 2015

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated! It looks like Tranquillitas might be the best bet then. The gold mine sounds really interesting too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...