UKC

Tim Peake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 15 Dec 2015
Just watched the successful launch, they are now in orbit.

It's always tense watching these space launches and I still find it thrilling to see after all these years.
In reply to Trangia:

If he's ever on Countryfile, I bet they call him Tim Peaks.

T.
 Shani 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> If he's ever on Countryfile, I bet they call him Tim Peaks.

> T.

We have a winner.
 chris fox 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Whats the odds on him getting Knighted ?
 broken spectre 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Docking now... https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Should be docked by aprox 17:25
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:
I wonder why some media outlets are referring to him as Britain's first astronaut? Pretty sure Helen Sharman beat him to it.
Post edited at 18:51
 MtnGeekUK 15 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Explained on radio earlier...

Apparently when she went up, was part of a commercial venture, so wasn't wearing a union flag patch.

I thought there was a bloke or two a few years ago too, but apparently they didn't count (now at least) as they held (hold) dual citizenship.

There's no getting around Tim's status, so calling him the first.

Tbh, I'd be miffed if I was one of previous ones...

That being said, great TV this morning. Especially liked him giving a thumbs up to the camera!

Also liked the pointy sticks the crew were using... Reminds me that back in the day, US spent LOTS of money creating a pen that would work in zero gravity - the Russians issued pencils!
 yorkshireman 15 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> I wonder why some media outlets are referring to him as Britain's first astronaut? Pretty sure Helen Sharman beat him to it.

First ever British official, taxpayer-funded via the ESA apparently. At least that's what I heard on Radio 4 this morning.
 yorkshireman 15 Dec 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

> Also liked the pointy sticks the crew were using... Reminds me that back in the day, US spent LOTS of money creating a pen that would work in zero gravity - the Russians issued pencils!

As much as I'd like that to be true, unfortunately it's a myth.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

As the story says, pencils aren't a great idea in space - and the pen was developed privately.
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:
Great to see the launch. Does anyone know what the box they each carried with them was?
Small job, connected to each cosmo/astronaut via a thick flexible tube.
Post edited at 19:34
 aln 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

A Brit a Yank and a Ruskie on a joint mission. Why can't real life be like that?
In reply to aln:

I think if you got 3 random people together for a drink it would be. Politicians ruin anything they get involved in.
 Shani 15 Dec 2015
In reply to aln:

> A Brit a Yank and a Ruskie on a joint mission. Why can't real life be like that?

You know, why don't we send a Saudi Wahabbist, a radical zionist and Donald Trump (or someone from the NRA), up to the ISS for six months? Would be great TV and settle things one way or another.
 aln 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Shani:

Move over Celebrity jungle your time is up. Shani has just suggested the best gameshow EVER!
 Indy 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Good news but as ever why the f*ck does it have to breathlessly be reported in minute detail on every possible news channel?
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

> First ever British official, taxpayer-funded via the ESA apparently. At least that's what I heard on Radio 4 this morning.

Weird logic that. What's the funding got to do with it?
 DaveHK 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Indy:

> Good news but as ever why the f*ck does it have to breathlessly be reported in minute detail on every possible news channel?

With you on that. I'm waiting for Master Chef to come on and we're being treated to them talking to their relatives. Dull.
 birdie num num 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Six months! I hope he's taken his fleshlight
 yorkshireman 15 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> Weird logic that. What's the funding got to do with it?

Dunno, I was trying to keep the cats out of my porridge saucepan when I heard it so it might not have been verbatim.
 Skyfall 15 Dec 2015
In reply to birdie num num:

> I hope he's taken his fleshlight

The ' Barbarella' version ?
 Brass Nipples 15 Dec 2015
In reply to birdie num num:
> Six months! I hope he's taken his fleshlight

Fleshlight, the sex toy for when you're away from the Mrs
Post edited at 21:49
 Martin W 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Great to see the launch. Does anyone know what the box they each carried with them was?

> Small job, connected to each cosmo/astronaut via a thick flexible tube.

My guess would be some kind of portable life support unit, to keep the suit operating until they can plumb it in to the systems in the Soyuz capsule. The Apollo astronauts used to carry something similar on their way to the launch pad. If I understood correctly what they were saying in the programme this morning, the suits they wear in the capsule aren't fully autonomous like the EVA suits: they're just to keep them alive if the atmosphere in the capsule itself fails.

Anyone see the footage of the successful use of the launch escape vehicle when the Soyuz launch vehicle blew up on the pad in 1983? That's why the crew members wear nappies inside their space suits...
In reply to Martin W:

Ah thanks Martin, that makes sense.
 Chris the Tall 15 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> I wonder why some media outlets are referring to him as Britain's first astronaut? Pretty sure Helen Sharman beat him to it.

Yes, but not only was she a woman, she was up north, so she doesn't count, apparently. Certainly got a lot less media attention.
 MtnGeekUK 16 Dec 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:
Well, you learn something new every day..

Post edited at 05:57
 summo 16 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

first true Brit on merit. Others have been dual nationality and gone under USA flag or paid their way.

I do think it's been a little under played by the media to some degree and more could be made of it, to inspire kids etc.. to get into science etc.. perhaps there is more PR to come over the next 6 months.
Post edited at 06:48
 summo 16 Dec 2015
In reply to aln:
> A Brit a Yank and a Ruskie on a joint mission. Why can't real life be like that?

it's only that way because the USA doesn't have a launcher anymore. Give it ten years and the USA has a space programme, they'll go all secretive and borders will reappear. I think the astronauts prefer the current system, as they probably don't really care about politics as long as they get to space. It does mean they all have to learn Russian, along with everything else, which is some achievement in itself.
Post edited at 06:52
 hokkyokusei 16 Dec 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

> Explained on radio earlier...

> Apparently when she went up, was part of a commercial venture, so wasn't wearing a union flag patch.

Apparently not.

http://www.normanfield.com/diary61_files/image012.jpg
 Pedro50 16 Dec 2015
In reply to summo:

she was a cosmonaut not an astronaut
drmarten 16 Dec 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Helen Sharman was the first Briton in space. Michael Foale holding dual UK/US nationality was a British citizen so second. Tim Peake is the third. All go back one place if we accept Lionel Jeffries made it to the moon in 1899.
 Denni 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Saw on a Facebook feed yesterday. "Now that Tim Peake has left the country to join ISS, should he have his passport revoked and be banned from the country?"
 hokkyokusei 17 Dec 2015
In reply to drmarten:

> Helen Sharman was the first Briton in space. Michael Foale holding dual UK/US nationality was a British citizen so second. Tim Peake is the third. All go back one place if we accept Lionel Jeffries made it to the moon in 1899.

I think that was, at least partially, my point. The post I answered implied that Sharman wasn't considered the first because she "was part of a commercial venture, so wasn't wearing a union flag patch". So I posted a link to an image of her wearing a union flag path on her suit. She was the first.

Though I would prefer to be able to say it was Lionel Jeffries
 DaveHK 17 Dec 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:

There's obviously something to be gained by somebody claiming he is first. Probably just profile / publicity.
 summo 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Pedro50:

> she was a cosmonaut not an astronaut

Cosmonauts are titles are for those who with the Russian Space Agency

Astronauts are those that fly with ESA, NASA, CSA, JAXA..

They do the same job, fly the same missions, it is only their parent agency behind them that applies a different title.
 kwoods 17 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> There's obviously something to be gained by somebody claiming he is first. Probably just profile / publicity.

The media have jumped all over it, but equally you can tell they aren't quite comfortable talking about spaceflight on their televised discussion programmes. They're not quite sure what to make of it, compared to say, their familiar world of politics. The quality of coverage on the day was much improved when Dara O' Briain etc got on it.
 summo 17 Dec 2015
In reply to kwoods:

> . The quality of coverage on the day was much improved when Dara O' Briain etc got on it.

that because he's studied physics, so at least he probably has a science interest, as well as his other comic and presenting stuff.
drmarten 17 Dec 2015
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Though I would prefer to be able to say it was Lionel Jeffries

Now there's a film I could happily watch over the Christmas period.

hokkyokusei 17 Dec 2015
In reply to drmarten:

> Now there's a film I could happily watch over the Christmas period.

I have a copy somewhere, so I think I might
 planetmarshall 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Shani:

> You know, why don't we send a Saudi Wahabbist, a radical zionist and Donald Trump (or someone from the NRA), up to the ISS for six months?

Or just shoot them into space and tell them they're going to the ISS. Would be a lot cheaper.

Darron 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I wonder how many of the school kids, all over the country, who are supposed to be inspired by Tim Peaks mission will think "hang on a min..........he wasn't the first!!" in afew years time when they discover Helen Sharman was. It suits the current news agenda to try to label him the first but I would think some are going to feel conned.

Flight remains impressive stuff mind.
 summo 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Darron:

> I wonder how many of the school kids, all over the country, who are supposed to be inspired by Tim Peaks mission will think "hang on a min..........he wasn't the first!!" in afew years time when they discover Helen Sharman was. It suits the current news agenda to try to label him the first but I would think some are going to feel conned.

Or they'll go Sharman won a trip to Mir, she spent 8 days there.

Peake is there on merit, beating 8000 other people just to get on the ESA programme due to his skills or talents, 6 years in training and will all being well spend 6 months on ISS doing experiments, maintenance etc..

There is no comparison, but yes technically she was the first Briton physically in space.

Removed User 17 Dec 2015
In reply to summo:

> There is no comparison, but yes technically she was the first Briton physically in space.

At the very least Tim Peake will be the first Briton called 'Tim Peake' in space.
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> At the very least Tim Peake will be the first Briton called 'Tim Peake' in space.

The way I see it everyone is in space. It's just our spaceship is planet sized.
OP Trangia 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Denni:

> Saw on a Facebook feed yesterday. "Now that Tim Peake has left the country to join ISS, should he have his passport revoked and be banned from the country?"

I agree there is a lot of scope for confusion
 broken spectre 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Some really atmospheric photo's are being posted by Tim Peake @astro_timpeake. It's worth a follow!

Apparently he phoned his parents today from the ISS but they were out and he got through to the answer machine!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/12062668/Tim-Peake-called-par...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...