UKC

UK slab climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Feast 15 Dec 2015
I've been climbing for about 6 months now, been outdoors to Portland and lead climb around 6a/6b.

Whilst i typically enjoy climbing over-hanging routes, i would like to find out if there are any areas in the UK with a good variety of slab climbing in a similar grade. Any thoughts or information would be most welcome.

Thanks
 Doug 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:

Etive ?
 scott titt 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:
If you mean you climb F6a/b (Sport grades) then Australia has lots Australia
Other than the slate there are not many bolted slabs in the UK.

For trad slabs then Fairy Cave Quarry or Baggy Point have got lots in all grades.
Post edited at 15:11
 Jon Stewart 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:

The Culm coast has a lot of slabs. But don't expect bolts (or indeed any worthwhile gear at all).

I think Llanberis slate is your best bet for bolted slabs.
Feast 15 Dec 2015
Sorry, I should have stated that I am looking for bolted slabs ideally.

Feast 15 Dec 2015
Thanks.

Baggy Point & Fairy Cave Quarry both look great.
 deepstar 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:

Sandford Quarry might suit you, several sort of hybrid routes like Brackets, Eco Line, King of Sandford Hill. Finnetta which are partly bolted.
 jezb1 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:

If it's bolted then the slate in North Wales is hard to beat.
 The Ivanator 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:

As others have said Llanberis slate is the best bet for bolted slabs in the 6s.
There are other bolted options scattered elsewhere, for example:
Shakemantle Quarry (Ruspidge Slab Quarry) - gets trad grades, but most lines on the main slab are fully bolted.
On Gower:
Watch House Crag
and Barland Quarry have a few decent routes in the 6s, the 50m 2 pitch route Don't Jis on my Sofa (6a+) is well worth seeking out.
 jsmcfarland 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:

If its bolted slabs then you have to head to the slate quarries of north wales. Avoid Fairy cave unless you are a competent trad climber, it can be scary there =P
In reply to Jon Stewart:

In N Wales, in addition to the slate (special mention for Australia and Peppermint Slab in the grade range of interest), the A55 crags in also have a fair amount of good quality bolted slabs in the F5 and F6 ranges. Penmaen Head, Trench Wall and The Gallery are often off vertical and technical but mainly/entirely too steep to be classed as slab. However There are good, genuinely slabby, routes at Castle Inn Quarry. Penmaenbach Quarry has many good slab climbs in this grade range and there are other good slab climbs at Creigiau Cigfran (Llanfairfechan). Penmaen West Quarry also has good bolted slabs but unfortunately climbing is currently banned there.
 sammiKrogers 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:
I second harold on the a55 crags. Dyserth Castle Slab is great with routes at every grade from 4 to 6b+
Post edited at 08:10
 The Ivanator 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Feast:
Another one is The Holcombe Quarries , it has a few slabby routes in the right grade range, although there is no official access - I've been a couple of times and not been turfed out, park away from the entrance and keep a low profile, same true of Barland Quarry which I mentioned up the thread.
In reply to sammiKrogers:

Yes, I meant to include that on my list

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...