UKC

New family car - views please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 15 Dec 2015
I have been driving a Ford Fiesta for the last 18 years or so, since we first had a car. Now on the third such, and they are jolly good little cars. The current one, named Spotty for various reasons, is ten years old and starting to feel elderly.

So I need a new family car; my kids are large teenagers, my husband and son fold up uncomplainingly, but really I'd like a car in which tall blokes are comfortable. I do most of the family driving but my very tall husband does some driving so needs to be able to get his knees under the steering wheel. Currently we manage holiday clobber by using a top-box which looks a bit daft (Spotty feels embarrassed).

So - thoughts please on a car that is large enough for a family of four with outdoor clobber, reasonably economical, nothing too big and flashy.

Yes, I know, it sounds like a girly question. It's actually a question from an incredibly busy lawyer with too many caring responsibilities and too little time to do the research so why not ask a friend. So please indulge me and tell me about cars you've enjoyed.

Thank you so much!

L
In reply to BusyLizzie:
Could there *be* a better time to say: Skoda Octavia Estate? UKC's perennial favourite and my um just got one and really likes it.

Alternatively the focus estate seems to get good rep.
Post edited at 20:45
In reply to BusyLizzie:

How tall is very tall?

T.
Who was 6'4" when measured a wee while ago.
 LastBoyScout 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

I really miss my Focus estate - cavernous boot for the size of the car.
OP BusyLizzie 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Very tall is indeed 6'4" ... perhaps that is a popular size for tall men. (My husband once went into Marks and Spencers looking for trousers with a 34" inside leg and was told "no sir, 32" is the most popular size").

I am not 6'4". I am 5'8".
 Skyfall 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Have you thought about a small people carrier type thing? Generally lots of headroom and big boots. Sort of like estates but 'higher'. Can be surprisingly fun to drive as visibility is great and some do genuinely drive ok. You would probably get used to the size pretty fast too. If you get a 4WD version they make surprisingly good climbers cars for all weathers and conditions.

On the other hand you could get the ukc favourite... The Skoda Octavia Estate ...
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Well the good news is that I fit in plenty cars, so height shouldn't be too restricting. And if you're used to a Fiesta then most things will feel palatial.

So then it's questions like budget that may restrict - or alternatively, help narrow what is still a wide range of possibles. Any thoughts?

T.
6'4" - the choice for the stylishly tall man...
 Oldsign 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Somebody will be along shortly to tell you to get a van...
 The New NickB 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Go and sit in a few, but I've had a newish Seat Leon for just over six months. I've got a hatchback, but an estate is available. Basically the Seat version of the Golf / A3 / Octavia, but noticeably cheaper and certainly a nicer car to look at, inside and out, compared to the Octavia. Seat have really upped their game on quality of trim and finish on their newer cars.

I'm not particularly tall, but I have a long body relative to my height and have had problems in some cars, I'm fine in the Leon.
 Bulls Crack 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'd recommend something bigger than a Fiesta! If you like Fords a Focus or SMax. You may get a good deal on a Volkswagons and Skoda's a great. Basically anything bigger's going to do the job since you can;t be that fussy!
 Neil Williams 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:
I'm 6' 4" (though upper/lower leg proportion can have more effect) and most newish cars are OK, except those where the dash curves round for a dash mounted gearstick rather than a floor mounted one. Those prevent me from lifting my foot off the clutch.

Because it can vary so much I would suggest some test driving.

For instance I used to have an old style Berlingo, it was huge with tons of space for the taller driver. The new one despite being a bigger vehicle isn't as good because of the shape of the dash.

Neil
Post edited at 22:40
 Neil Williams 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:
M&S do 35" leg in some styles, though you often have to order it in. Otherwise they are mostly in odd numbers I think.

Neil
Post edited at 22:39
 Cardi 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:
I'm a mere 6' 2" by comparison, but I feel his pain in needing a 32" waist max and a minimum 33" length.

On a side note, I got told by a receptionist today that wearing trousers too short for you is the first sign of insanity...(I was wearing NHS issue theatre scrubs though, which seem to come in only 2 sizes; too big and too small)
Post edited at 22:51
 Philip 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Audi A7.
 Axel Smeets 15 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Volvo XC60

Reassuringly sensible choice. Solid car. Large enough for a family. Not flashy but an understated quality that Volvo do very well. Will feel big after a Fiesta. Boot is cavernous. You'll get 50mpg out of the new 2015 D4 engine.

I love mine anyway
 Skyfall 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Sort of what I was getting at. Probabky best bang for buck in that sector.
 BnB 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

What you're getting at is called a crossover and is the fastest growing sector in the car industry. The original is the hugely successful and much copied Nissan Quasqai but everyone makes one nowadays. Essentially a mock SUV on a hatchback platform, the raised height makes for easy ingress and exit, and they satisfy mum's desire for extra visibility, dad's wish for something a bit macho -looking, and the kids aren't embarrassed because everyone in the playground has got one. In addition to the Nissan, see Ford Kuga, Mazda CX-5, Honda CRV, all at moderate prices.

Mercedes have even built a hot crossover, the much lauded AMG GLA at a mere £45k, which is the first entrant into what is predicted to be the next niche.

OP BusyLizzie 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

> M&S do 35" leg in some styles, though you often have to order it in.

Bless you, thanks, he has discovered the 35" M&S possibilities.

L
In reply to Cardi:

> not, I got told by a receptionist today that wearing trousers too short for you is the first sign of insanity..

This is undoubtedly true.

L

In reply to BusyLizzie:

Wow, what a lot of replies - this is just hugely appreciated!! Having your ideas as a starting point makes the process so much more manageable and easier to face!

I need to take a little time to read and re-read all suggestions and then look at some prices etc

Wishing you all the happiest of Wednesdays.
xxx
 Ridge 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'd also look at Kia, a lot of vehicle for the money and a 7 year warranty. Mine failed it's first MOT at 6 years old with 86,000 on the clock. It was just bushes on the front suspension, which I'd expect, and all done under warranty, which I didn't expect.
 Neil Williams 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Cotton Traders also do 35" leg in some styles.
In reply to Ridge:
My parents have got one (the mini MPV) and other than the long warranty they aren't impressed - comments like it being a bit Aldi - good value but a bit basic and cheap feeling.
Post edited at 08:36
 Fraser 16 Dec 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> Go and sit in a few, but I've had a newish Seat Leon for just over six months. I've got a hatchback, but an estate is available. Basically the Seat version of the Golf / A3 / Octavia, but noticeably cheaper and certainly a nicer car to look at, inside and out, compared to the Octavia. Seat have really upped their game on quality of trim and finish on their newer cars.

Hmm, my experience varies somewhat! I've been using a hire car Leon estate over the past 3 weeks and although it drove well enough (quite sluggish though as it was the TSi model) the whole interior trim was incredibly cheap and nasty. Perhaps it was just a very basic model, but the plastic trim everywhere was horrible, even for 'plastic'. The seats weren't very good or supportive either. I was more impressed with the various Fords I've hired in the past ... and I don't really like Fords!

Space-wise however the Leon was excellent.
 The New NickB 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Fraser:
I find the Focus dash over cluttered, so didn't test one. Thought the Leon compared well to the Golf and plenty passengers have complemented me on the interior of Leon. Different tastes I guess, but most of the reviews I have read have agreed with me on the interior.
Post edited at 09:17
mattlee 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Loads of choices.....Octavia Estate has to be up there, other VW Group Cars - Passat Estate, Golf Estate. From other brands and following the small people carrier theme - Vauxhall Zafira, or go for the 4x4/crossover stuff - Ford Kuga, Land Rover Freelander, VW Tiguan....this market segment is a huge, so I'd say take your time, continue to be nice to spotty and wait until something feels right.
 stp 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

If you want to stick with Ford then a diesel Mondeo is a good choice. I've had mine for 10 years and its been great. Very fast, handles well, and very economical too. Lots of space, large boot with the hatchback version, reliable and with the build quality of decent German makes according to a review I read.
 Morgan Woods 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Do you have a budget in mind or are you just going to spend whatever? I can't go past estate cars for practicality. Loved my Focus estate which was (as said above) very roomy for a small car. Also really liked my Volvo V70 but that was on the big side.

The Focus estate might be a good next step up from the Fiesta. Plenty of tall peeps manage just fine with them.
 LeeWood 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

In France the Dacia Logan is v popular. We have just bought the larger Lodgy which seems comfy & VFM. Are Dacia's equally available inUK ??
 jkarran 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

A 6'4" chap will fit comfortably in the driver's seat of any modern car unless he has freakishly long legs or back (as I do but thankfully only 6' total).

There's nothing wrong with using a roofbox for occasional extra loads, it saves lugging an over-sized car around behind you on the 350 days a year you don't need the extra space.

I'd suggest going and having a look at a big showroom, see what you like in your budget. Modern cars are all pretty good. Once you have a better idea you can either buy it or set about finding a good example at the right price from a bigger pool (assuming you're not buying new).

Personally I've really enjoyed all the BMWs I've owned. The two cars I'd buy again in a heartbeat if I could find a good example would be an early 90's BMW 3 series and an 80's Toyota MR2. My taste in cars doesn't really match your needs

jk
 BnB 16 Dec 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> Personally I've really enjoyed all the BMWs I've owned. The two cars I'd buy again in a heartbeat if I could find a good example would be an early 90's BMW 3 series and an 80's Toyota MR2. My taste in cars doesn't really match your needs

Good call. I had both of these. The MR2 was a highlight. What a go-cart. We may have gone off thread however.
 Mike-W-99 16 Dec 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

> In France the Dacia Logan is v popular. We have just bought the larger Lodgy which seems comfy & VFM. Are Dacia's equally available inUK ??

Yes, my dad has one and seems pleased with it. They are renaults cheap brand?
 Mike Stretford 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie: Any modern medium to large estate will be a huge improvement on what you've had and feel good (cars have got better). Focus, Octavia ect for medium, and Mondeo, Passat, Aventis for large.

I'm quite tempted to test drive an Auris estate hybrid next time, just fancy trying something different.
 Mooncat 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'm fed up with the soulless efficient blandness of new cars so just bought a 2005 Lexus LS430. Nice size, fairly thirsty on shorter runs (low 20's possibly high teens mpg) but not bad on motorway runs (high 30's mpg). Cheap big and very comfortable, servicing isn't cheap but they're ultra reliable. Probably not what you want but worth a look.
 BnB 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Mooncat:

> I'm fed up with the soulless efficient blandness of new cars so just bought a 2005 Lexus LS430.

Bit of an irony bypass here
 d508934 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

I'm 6 foot 4 and focus estate is fine for me to drive - but seat does have to be quite far back, which is ok for us as only have little kids in the back, if had teenagers/adults in the back often then may have to look at a 'proper' estate. yes the boot is roomy, but chassis is same as hatchback so not huge leg room for rear passengers. having said that it's been perfectly functional for 4 guys on annual winter trip to scotland from south east - passengers just have to rotate with front passenger seat.

overall a great car though, cheap parts, easy to do some yourself etc. we get 45 mpg, that's mostly around town
 galpinos 16 Dec 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

Dacia's are available but the Logan gets a 3* NCAP rating, compared to the 5*s pretty much all modern cars get it is understandably not that popular.
 Bob Hughes 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> I'm quite tempted to test drive an Auris estate hybrid next time, just fancy trying something different.

i rented one for a few days over summer and hated it. It makes a horrible noise on the motorway - the engine seems to hit a specific rpm at around 70 - 80 mph which makes it make a mind splitting drone - and the steering has absolutely no feel at all to it.
 galpinos 16 Dec 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> I find the Focus dash over cluttered, so didn't test one.

It was hideous but the new face lift focus has a re-modeled dash which, though still not elegant and stylish looks less like it was designed by a 12yo Japanese gamer.

I do like the look of the Leons, not driven one though.
 galpinos 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

We sometimes get an Auris as hire cars at work ad they feel so soulless to sit in, horrible things.
 Mike Stretford 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:
> i rented one for a few days over summer and hated it. It makes a horrible noise on the motorway - the engine seems to hit a specific rpm at around 70 - 80 mph which makes it make a mind splitting drone - and the steering has absolutely no feel at all to it.

Ok, thanks, I won't bother.

There's a bloke at work with a citroen DS5 that will go at a good price. Anyone tried one of those?
Post edited at 12:25
 Mooncat 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

> Bit of an irony bypass here

You're not wrong but it's relative, steering is really numb but compared to the later models the response to everything makes it feel like a caterham. Makes motorway driving at least bearable.
 Ridge 16 Dec 2015

> My parents have got one (the mini MPV) and other than the long warranty they aren't impressed - comments like it being a bit Aldi - good value but a bit basic and cheap feeling.

I've got a 2009 Ceed. The dash is a bit bland and the plastic on the door interiors is a bit cheap. However the build quality of the chassis, the engine, the rustproofing and overall the reliability are excellent. Also quite a nice 1.6 turbodiesel engine, 6 speed box and stable handling with good feedback.

By contrast Mrs Ridge's VW is an expensive source of niggling faults, leaky hoses and rotting exhaust parts. If every a car company traded on past glories it's VW.
In reply to galpinos:

I can't see any reason to buy the new Logan - it has moved from its practical 7-seat van-derived form to a mediocre small 5-seat estate. I doubt many people look at the NCAP rating as the main reason to buy or not buy, to be honest.
 Babika 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Whatever you do, block out a Saturday and arrange a few test drives with the family in tow.
I'm amazed at the number of folks who buy cars just by looking at them and sitting in a showroom. (Of course,not so easy if you're buying second hand)

Im an obsessive OCD type of person who whittles the choice down to a few then does a spreadsheet with scores for all the various attributes that are important to me....

Good luck!
 More-On 16 Dec 2015

Other than its price compared to others in the same class, its decent fuel economy and its very big boot?
These points would put it near the top of my list if I had to replace my elderly T4 tomorrow.

In reply to More-On:

Possibly, though I think I'd rather buy a used car than a built-right-down-to-a-cheap-price new one.
 More-On 16 Dec 2015

A good point regarding new vs old, and a whole other thread!

With regard to the Logan, I'm being swayed as a colleague has a Dacia and it seems well put together and runs well. The lack of kit doesn't bother me either as my T4 is very basic too.
 Siward 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

We succumbed to the people carrier idea many years ago and kept it until the kids had all grown up. We opted for a proper big people carrier, a Mazda, which we are still in the process of driving into the ground. For carrying three kids, plus a couple of friends, plus two dogs, plus kit and clobber, nothing else comes close (although we had to resort to a roof box for longer outings). It's also truly van sized when the seats are out.

It's also surprisingly car like (mazda 6 underpinnings) when just used as a daily driver.
In reply to More-On:

I'd buy one tomorrow if the original 7-seat van-a-like version had been brought to the UK. Presumably Renault were concerned it would impact on the sale of Kangoos - but they've withdrawn that from the UK market as well!
 More-On 16 Dec 2015

Hopefully then the 'new' Lodgy will come here.
Dreadful name, but looks like it would be a suitable replacement for my wife's Zafira.
 Scott K 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Skoda Yeti gets great reviews and seems to have very good head room.
 Skyfall 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB ahd jkarran:

Yep, loved my MR2 (Mk 2). Baby ferrari. I used to get all types of people (including white van men) opening windows at lights to tell me how gorgeous they thought it was. Fun to drive and easy to own as well. In red, of course. Police magnet, of course.

Other than that, and reliability aside, I'm a bit of a BMW fan (mostly for the drive).
Removed User 16 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

> Yep, loved my MR2 (Mk 2). Baby ferrari. I used to get all types of people (including white van men) opening windows at lights to tell me how gorgeous they thought it was. Fun to drive and easy to own as well. In red, of course. Police magnet, of course.

A colleague has a Mk2 Mr2 turbo, it is pretty impressive.

> Other than that, and reliability aside, I'm a bit of a BMW fan (mostly for the drive).

Me too. Reliability has been fine and costs have been low. Since owning it I am somewhat baffled as to why anyone would have anything else unless they needed more seats or less seats.
In reply to Removed User:

> Me too. Reliability has been fine and costs have been low. Since owning it I am somewhat baffled as to why anyone would have anything else unless they needed more seats or less seats.

Until such time as they want to drive on ice, snow or other slippy road surfaces. Rear wheel drive is fun in good conditions, but is hopelessly incapable when road conditions are poor. That alone would put me off ever owning a BMW.
Removed User 16 Dec 2015
Meanwhile for the other 360 days of the year...

Winter tyres and if necessary a load in the back will solve that one.
Post edited at 17:17
 BnB 16 Dec 2015

Living in the Yorkshire Dales, I run winter tyres on my little Beemer from November to March and prance(!) merrily past summer tyre-clad SUVs in ditches. Night and day.
In reply to Removed User:

> Winter tyres and if necessary a load in the back will solve that one.

True. I was heading towards a view that we should make winter tyres mandatory, and then we have had 2 warm winters so far since...this may also coincide with my having bought an ice axe and crampons and not having had chance to use them...
 jkarran 16 Dec 2015

I've had a mixed bag of experiences in the snow with rwd. My 540i with autobox was a complete animal, just constant stress and misbehaviour at all speeds including stopped where the big v8 and torque converter would overwhelm the back brakes unless you properly stood on them leaving the back end wandering down the camber at traffic lights. The Z3M with more power and less electronics is a pussycat by comparison and perfectly useable on the snow thanks to the LSD. I used it through the series of hard winters we had a few years back never getting stuck or spinning when plenty of others were.
 Timmd 16 Dec 2015
>

> True. I was heading towards a view that we should make winter tyres mandatory, and then we have had 2 warm winters so far since...this may also coincide with my having bought an ice axe and crampons and not having had chance to use them...

It's 'your' fault then.

My dad's rear wheel drive Vauxhall Senator was never very good in the snow, was a lovely car though. He bought it cheap because he went car shopping when it'd been snowy for ages, and most car dealers were desperate to make a sale.

A rather random top tip, I guess, wait 'till it snows.
Post edited at 18:45
 Skyfall 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

I've gone 4WD and winter tyres (amusingly given the current mild weather). Still a lot of fun to drive.
Post edited at 18:35
 alasdair19 16 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Back on topic, though the digressions have been diverting.

Ford mondeo. Very good price for what you get as it's huge. my dad hates driving it round Sheffield mind. has the very efficient 1.6 diesel that u find in vw, volvo, citroen etc.

mate rates his seon people carrier alhambra I think.
In reply to alasdair19:
Beware of that 1.6 diesel (the one you find in Pugs etc). It has a habit of eating turbos if the engine oil is not changed precisely following the manufacturer's instructions - which includes *not* vacuuming it out as Kwik Fit etc do (rather, taking the time to drop it properly), and I think includes flushing the engine out each time. If it eats one turbo, it will continue to do so - the problem is basically not reversible without an engine rebuild, as the cack amounts up in too many places.

I would not buy a vehicle with that engine used unless it had a full main dealer service history.
Post edited at 19:05
Removed User 16 Dec 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

> Back on topic, though the digressions have been diverting.

I think the rules of ukc car threads dictate that having done the Octavia/Mondeo thing and the BMW/snow debate we must now move on to exotica where nothing with less than 400bhp and/or cheaper than 80k may be recommended, unless it's an eBay banger.
 Tall Clare 17 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I think something bigger sounds like it's definitely required, but just to say that the latest Fiesta seats four people with ease - my husband is 6' 4 (it seems they all are!), I'm 5'10, his daughter is 5'9 and his son's catching up. And the dog is quite big too! I have a 63 plate one and am very impressed with it. Our other car is a Volvo XC70 and that's just enormous :-/

I also looked at the latest Focus and imagine that, being bigger but not huge, would be great for your needs.
OP BusyLizzie 17 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

... just going through all these comments now and making notes so I can go and look things up. Huge thanks again!! I feel empowered and inspired!
Lizzie
 ballsac 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

i'll offer another Mondeo recomendation - i've got a 2010 2ltr deisel estate. its 5 adults comfortable, it will take a maaahooosive load in the back, if driven at 65mph on the motorway it will give 60+mpg, if driven fast (85+) it will give around 49mpg, and its great fun to drive both on fast A roads and wiggly country lanes, as well as being incredibly comfortable for long (9, 10 hour..) drives.

with winter tyres its fantastic on snow/ice.
 cfer 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

We have just got a Mazda 5, lovely car to drive and I like the way the seat in the middle folds up and away into the other chairs, not strictly a 7seater and mazda advertise it as a 6+1 but it has loads of room, surprisingly big rear seats, usb charger in boot. economical and fun to drive
 iksander 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Maserati Quattroporte GTS, obviously
 nniff 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I've just ended my run of small cars (the wife has had the bigger car for years). I've just got a Mercedes C250 estate and it's very pleasant - comfy on a long run, with a very effective 'hooligan switch' that changes its character completely. Loads of headroom. Fine for two adults in the back, bit pushed on shoulder room with three in the back. Highly recommended against VW and Ford people carriers, Nissan Qashqai (most hateful car we ever owned), Volvos of various shapes and sizes, Audis and BMW.

Now that I have the bigger car, wife has a BMW Z4, which is completely different.

The warm weather is our fault - winter tyres on, temperature up.
OP BusyLizzie 18 Dec 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you again. I like the Ford Mondeo idea, I think...

Will keep you posted if and when I do the deed/deal...

L
Columbia753 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Oldsign:

You are so correct...................100 %.

Have a wee van myself and have now insulated it and plyed it out. Oh the joys of been able to load it up for work, camping, kipping in the back. Hope to be buying a wee awning to put on it. Oh and its not white its blue...........ex gas board Izuzu engine. )
Kipper 19 Dec 2015
In reply to iksander:

> Maserati Quattroporte GTS, obviously

Looks like the correct answer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...