UKC

'New' Petzl Elios 2016 - any changes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewmc 16 Dec 2015

I am planning to buy a new Petzl Elios. Taking my current one caving has resulted in a) me banging my head moderately hard when I slightly fell in a hole, so I'd rather save that helmet for caving and get a shiny new one I trust for climbing, and b) getting it all dirty :O (plus I probably want to bracket mount a caving light on the old one).

Decathlon (and Go Outdoors) are doing '2014' Elios helmets very cheap at the moment, but I have noticed that the Elios is shown on the Petzl website as a 'new product' to be released January 2016.

http://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/New/ELIOS?l=INT#.VnFood8Vx7g

Does anybody know if they have actually made any changes and whether it is worth waiting until it is released (and available) and getting a 'new' one? I can't see any changes based on the images...
Post edited at 13:39
 HeMa 16 Dec 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

From a quick glance, sliding shutters (akin to skiing helmets) seems to be the change.

So I'd prolly get the old cheap one than wait for the new model.

Or better yet, get the Sirocco. Looks stupid, but uber comfy.
OP andrewmc 16 Dec 2015
In reply to HeMa:

My Elios has the (somewhat sticky) sliding shutters so that's not a new feature. I plan to use it for mountaineering/winter climbing etc so would rather stick with the slightly more beefy Elios.
 PPP 16 Dec 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Seems like it got that stupid magnetic buckle I hate on Meteor/Sirocco. For some reason it gets muddy or catches a small piece of rock somewhere inside and does not shut then. I am always afraid of breaking it, but it did not happen (yet!).

It sounds like a great concept, but not so useful. It's not that you take the modern lightweight helmet off and on more than couple of times a day. At least I don't.
OP andrewmc 17 Dec 2015
In reply to PPP:

If that's the only change I might get the old one! Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...