UKC

spicy leg of lamb ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 16 Dec 2015
Hi, Cooking vegetarian curry food for large family group (few currys, dahl etc), but also bought a leg of lamb for us minority meat eaters. Any ideas on 'curryfing' a leg of lamb, slow/cool cooking vs quick/hot cooking etc.
 toad 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

easy peasy. you need a spicy marinade. try blending ginger and garlic with yoghurt and a drop of vinegar and adding ground spices - cardomons, peppercorns, cinnamon cumin, coriander, bay leaves and however much chilli you like - slash the fat on the leg joint and rub this lot in and leave it at least overnight. roast it like a leg of lamb - 20 mins per 500g at 180 plus 20 mins seems to be the default timing, need to be careful if you tend to roast hotter and quicker not to burn it.

keep an eye on it and baste if it's getting dry.

it's sort of from Anjum Anand - or you could try this (just found it looking for the above recipe)

youtube.com/watch?v=3sy9UcxFId0&
 iksander 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Slow cooked is definitely good, I did something like this http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/s/slow_cooked_lamb_wi...

but rubbed the lamb with ras el hanout first
 toad 16 Dec 2015
In reply to iksander:

always thought slow cooking is a bit of a waste on a leg, better for a shoulder or an older animal, but ras el hanout makes everything better
mick taylor 16 Dec 2015
In reply to toad:

Sounds good. I could slow roast in a big covered tin (which I know is not technically roasting), and finish with a quick uncovered blast for colour/crispyness.

Anyone know if slow roasting a leg produces tender meat? Only slow roasted shoulder, and the fat and texture works well for long and slow. (just thinking how some beef cuts don't roast as well doing the long/slow method).
 MonkeyPuzzle 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:
> Anyone know if slow roasting a leg produces tender meat? Only slow roasted shoulder, and the fat and texture works well for long and slow. (just thinking how some beef cuts don't roast as well doing the long/slow method).

If you want meltingly tender, I recommend cooking it 'dum pukht', in a pot sealed with dough, or at least with a tight-fitting lid. There are thousands of recipes out there and they're probably all good.

Edit: give it a hot blast at the beginning rather than end, otherwise you'll need to rest it for longer.
Post edited at 14:58
 climbwhenready 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

I've slow cooked (as in a crock pot, but you can do the same in an oven on a low heat) a leg of lamb, comes out absolutely gorgeous. I'd highly recommend it.
mick taylor 16 Dec 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:
Thanks all,

Slow roast it is, with the above marinade, in a dough sealed pot. Day before Christmas eve meal is:

Pre starter: popadums with usual suspects
Starter: Onion bhajis, with tonnes of my now ready IPA.
In betweener: blackberry vodka granita (some left over from the weekend, may as well use it)
Main course: Dahl, couple veggie currys, slowed roast leg of lamb, naan bread. Elderberry and damson wine with main course.
Afters: Pavlova with hedgerow fruits and damson sauce........with my home made elderflower champagne (which is totally bloody gorgeous).
After the afters: Loads of my home made port, perhaps with cheese.

Only 4 meals left.....................
Post edited at 15:56
 coinneach 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Hairy bikers do an excellent morrocan lamb ( you may need to buy the book as I can't find a link )
 John Ww 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Madhur Jafrey does a fab one called Raan Masalador - there's a Youtube video of her preparing it.

Hth, JW
 full stottie 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Have you considered a lamb tagine? I've done this often using the meat taken from a leg of lamb, served with cous-cous, you can do it without having to use a pukka tagine, just prepared on the hob and cooked in the oven. Loads of recipes around, plenty on youtube like this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=bR5Cqu84S_k&

or just search lamb tagine recipes. You can add as much spice as you like.
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5191/lamb-tagine.aspx

Dave
 aln 16 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

>Day before Christmas eve meal is:

> Pre starter: popadums with usual suspects

> Starter: Onion bhajis, with tonnes of my now ready IPA.

> In betweener: blackberry vodka granita (some left over from the weekend, may as well use it)

> Main course: Dahl, couple veggie currys, slowed roast leg of lamb, naan bread. Elderberry and damson wine with main course.

> Afters: Pavlova with hedgerow fruits and damson sauce........with my home made elderflower champagne (which is totally bloody gorgeous).

> After the afters: Loads of my home made port, perhaps with cheese.

Can I come to yours?

Chris Harris 16 Dec 2015
In reply to John Ww:

> Madhur Jafrey does a fab one called Raan Masalador - there's a Youtube video of her preparing it.

Second vote for Raan.

https://girlinterruptedeating.wordpress.com/2010/05/20/madhur-jaffreys-spic...
 JJL 17 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

I'll probably be burned as a heretic, but butterfly it, then marinade then cook on a rack (or fire up the barbeque, it's mild enough)
 Scott K 17 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

I would go for the lamb tagine as well. Lovely and even better made a day before.
 Hat Dude 17 Dec 2015
In reply to JJL:

> I'll probably be burned as a heretic, but butterfly it, then marinade then cook on a rack (or fire up the barbeque, it's mild enough)

+1 for this -
Butterflying the lamb that is, not burning you as a heretic!
mick taylor 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

I'm now starving...............thats New Year sorted then as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...