UKC

Help: starting winter mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Csimp1 17 Dec 2015
Hi

I'm 16 and love for the mountains. I want to start winter mountaineering/ Scottish gully climbing but many courses will not take me due to my age and my family is uninterested. Can anyone give me some advice to get going and learn.

Thanks
 lone 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Csimp1:
Luckily you are 16 and have loads of time ahead of you, keep living the dream of what you want to do regardless of others dis-interest and when you are 18 you can get out there and do it ! You should join a club, there you would have plenty of resource to go and do Winter Mountaineering under the guidance of seasoned members.

Opportunities are bound to be plentiful if you join up ...

I'm not a winter mountaineer but I love the hills in Winter too, keep motivated by going climbing and walking, you'll be 18 before you know it and you can make a start ... with energy like aspiration and desire to push you, there is little in your way if you look at it with a broader view.

Go and seek out the people who are interested in helping you for what you aspire to be

L
Post edited at 08:49
Rigid Raider 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Csimp1:
It's a pity you can't find a climbing buddy roughly your own age. Between you, you could get out and start gaining winter experience walking in the hills. Of all the winter skills you need to learn, I'd say that straightforward mountain sense is the most important; in other words the ability to judge conditions and anticipate likely dangers. No training course will substitute simple experience although a week at somewhere like Glenmore Lodge is invaluable for learning about navigation, avalanches, weather etc.

At your age you also need to be building physical fitness, stamina and mental toughness; I would recommend that you take up road cycling as an enjoyable way towards this goal. Your body is awash with testosterone and it will be easy to build muscle and improve cardio-vascular fitness.
Post edited at 08:55
 nutme 17 Dec 2015
If you already have basic skills of navigation, camping and hiking out of trails then the best way would be to look for climbing club or school / uni climbers community. If you are not that confident in the mountains then it's still good idea to find a club who would be willing to take you.

Rock climbing will come very handy in Alpine mountaineering. Many Alpine routes have sections of rock climbing. It is usually very easy to get in to. Find a local gym and visit few times a week. And will help to find climbing friends and girlfriends

Thing about your age is that 18+ partner may have a bit of trouble with your parents and police if you would happen to die on the mountain.
 Andy Hardy 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Csimp1:

As others have said you need a few things outside of "just" climbing skills. Number 1 would be some mates to go with, number 2 is fitness (which you don't need to get to hills for) and number 3 would be good navigational skills. With those in mind, what do your local explorer / cadet groups do? (if they go winter climbing - bonus!). In any event it might be a good way to meet like minded people, of similar age outside of your family.
Rigid Raider 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Csimp1:

*cough* The ability to buy beer in pubs will help as well....
 ModerateMatt 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Csimp1:

Its worth posting in the partners thread, someone may want to show you the ropes so to speak.

Also the best advice I would give is to go on winter walks. Get the right kit, learn nav, understand avalanche risks and in general learn to survive on the hills in winter.

And try the MCofS for courses.
OP Csimp1 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Csimp1:

By the way. I play rugby, hockey and cricket. I also climb regularly at my local wall. I'm in the cadets and was in scouts for 7 years.

Cheers for the advice

Mr-Cowdrey 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Csimp1:

If you're in the Army Cadets or CCF then have you heard about CCAT?

http://www.armycadetadventure.co.uk

They do everything from summer hill walking to ice climbing in Norway. Depending on your experience, you'll possibly have to do a few of their foundation courses and/or basic courses in hillwalking and rock climbing before you can progress onto winter climbing through them.

Anyway, have a look on their website and talk to one of your adult instructors in cadets about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...