UKC

Mourinho sacked!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I didn't see that coming - i don't like him but I thought 2 champions leagues and multiple domestic honours would at least get him through to the new year...

Will the poor treatment of the team doctor earlier in the year turn out to have been the thing that led to his downfall...?
Post edited at 15:30
 drunken monkey 17 Dec 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

They are in relegation form with little sign that's about to change.
 goldmember 17 Dec 2015
In reply to drunken monkey:

Its a joke. The club should have backed the manager gotten rid of the shite in January.

Too much player power.
 Timmd 17 Dec 2015

I don't follow football much but it seems a bit unfair to me given his successes in the past.

Im surprised too. One iffy season a bad manager does not make.

He has a track record only beaten by the likes of Fergy and at multiple clubs in multiple countries. Too rash in my opinion.
In reply to goldmember:

Can you even contemplate Chelsea sitting in the relegation zone come Jan? With his budget?

He's lost the changing room if he cant get results with the resources at his disposal.

And I like the guy as a manager.
In reply to goldmember:

In general I agree- ferguson made it clear that no player was bigger than the club, or him, and any that challenged that were quickly shown the door, no matter what their reputation.

I think mourinho could have expected more loyalty from abramovitch but then I shouldn't necessarily be surprised that he didnt get it.

The only thing that would change my mind was if he'd lost the players' respect over the carniero incident- in which case good for them. Though I'm doubtful that that was the case

Leaves a big name looking for a club with a number of managers on shoogly pegs- most notably van gaal. I thought that Man U were waiting for guardiola to come available in the summer, but will they wait that long...?

Why on earth would Man Utd sack VG when they are in 4th, 6 points off top spot?

Because they're playing dreadfully. One of my colleagues is a season ticket holder- LvG is booed at every home game, they can't buy a goal, the players look baffled as to what he expects them to do and they aren't even well organised in defence.

4th place is only because every other 'top' team is deeply inconsistent too. I think he'll get sacked in the new year, and giggs will be in temporary charge til the summer and they can get guardiola, unless by some miracle they start playing effective attacking football...
 Chris the Tall 17 Dec 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Im surprised too. One iffy season a bad manager does not make.

Not even half a bad season - to be sacked so soon after winning the championship is ridiculous. Yes he's been making a fool of himself a lot this season - his grasp on reality seems to be lacking - but even so it's strange. Is it all down to player power ? If so, god help the next manager.

Cant see it. Unless they drop into mid table mediocrity.
 goldmember 17 Dec 2015

> charge til the summer and they can get guardiola,

This ship has sailed to the blue manchester
 coinneach 17 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Aye Guardiola is off to The Ethiad.
In reply to goldmember and coinneach:

I thought the lure of OT would have been stronger- Man U have the history, and reputation for entertaining football, and then there's the chance to be the one who brings back success after Fergie's retirement.

Cos it doesn't look like van Gaals going to manage that...
 abr1966 17 Dec 2015

It's all downhill since he was a nob to the doctor. Respect for him disappeared in the staff. A mate who is a physio in a div 2 team reckons it's all down to this. My guess is they'll start playing again as soon as there's a new manager...
 nathan79 17 Dec 2015

I'm surprised it's happened, but I think it was what needed to be done. Their league placing says it all. He gives a team a great couple of years before his ego causes cracks.
Not a fan of him as a manager but his record says it all regarding what he can do. Will be interested to see where his next move takes him.

Given his severance agreement, one might speculate that, having won last year, he'd got bored, and engineered his dismissal...

Ka-ching and free agent...?
andymac 17 Dec 2015

Only surprised it wasn't this coming weekend.after another defeat.

He'd lost the dressing room.and it was beyond repair. He's best off out of it.

Fabregas surprised me last week when he went public ,saying players weren't earning their wages.I thought he might have been one of the problem players.but I now think otherwise.

coinneach 17 Dec 2015

City have been planning to recruit him for years. Totally revamped their youth system and have ex Barca staff on board waiting to welcome him.
In reply to andymac:

> Fabregas surprised me last week when he went public ,saying players weren't earning their wages.

Well, really, it does rather come down to the players... If they're not playing because they're a bit sulky, they need a kick up the arse. I'm sure RA knows a few nice gentlemen who would oblige...
 goldmember 17 Dec 2015
In reply to coinneach:

It seems mad for city to replace the current gaffer. Second in the league cracking draw in the champions league.
 wbo 17 Dec 2015
He has form as a typical 2 season manager. You stir up a lot of 'them and us' feeling, get a lot of stress going and get results quick. But after two years everyones knackered and doesn't like it any more, and start to stop trying. See also Rafael Benitez.

He probably doesn't know how to turn it around as it doesn't fit his methodology. And thus he's out
 Babika 18 Dec 2015

It seemed obvious after Monday night at the King Power - his rant signalled that he knew it as well. But the Chelsea statement was very gracious and complimentary, it does genuinely seem a mutual agreement as he couldn't rally the troops for some reason.

I thought Chelsea were still hanging out for Pep Giodiola? Going for a caretaker to tide them over?

My money's on McLaren being the next casualty. Bit of a mystery how he's lasted this long although the last two weeks have been a bit better.
mick taylor 18 Dec 2015

Plenty folk saw it coming (esp Liverpool - hence early signing of Klopp before Chelsea got him).

Basically - not enough quality brought in during the summer, then the total fiasco with the doctor, all mixed in with bad results for the start. This has been his downfall. In many ways, surprised he lasted as long as he did. His more recent comments have been unbelievable.

Here's a thing - heard BBC pundits saying that whilst the top teams in other leagues (Spain/Germany) would whip our arses, the vast cash in the prem league has meant the middle third clubs have really improved..........making the prem league better overall..........and perhaps assisting with Chelseas demise?

I have a big soft spot for Man Utd, but, even though I kinda like Mourinho, really hope Man Utd stick with LVG...........now is the time for some stability.
 drunken monkey 18 Dec 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

The premier league has not improved IMO. All that £££ kicking about mostly goes overseas. The leagues benefitting from the ridiculous cash in English football are not in the UK. Most of the money spent on huge transfer fees goes overseas.
Parrys_apprentice 18 Dec 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Im surprised too. One iffy season a bad manager does not make.

The thing is, an iffy season for Chelsea is coming 4th or 5th, not relegation talk and losing to lowly teams consistently.
mick taylor 18 Dec 2015

Dont get your point. Whilst the cash is being spent abroad, the prem league clubs are bringing in better and better players (esp. the middle chunk of teams). Check this out:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/leicester-city/english-football-teams/leice...

And a result is there are more clubs more able are getting points of the top teams. The gap is shrinking, and we are not seeing as many complete demolitions (like I used to see watching Ronaldo/Rooney/Giggs at Man Utd, when the gap was massive), but we are seeing more closer battles.

Jeremy Vine reckons it was Docgate that did for him...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35129915

The more that comes out, I think he's probably right
 felt 18 Dec 2015

No way did Vine and daughter watch Chelsea at home every week. It's a nice article, but it almost makes me feel a tad queasy.

Having said that, I can't really take this thread seriously without a contribution from IainRUK.
 Roadrunner5 18 Dec 2015
In reply to felt:
He's gone...
 Roadrunner5 18 Dec 2015
In reply to felt:
I think doc gate killed him too but he also has bad characters in that team who he should have shown the door. Van gala or fergie would have got them out.

Fergie built a great team spirit and managed players well but the moment there was bad blood the air was cleared, or the player left.

He's a good manager, not the best, he can't be an all time great until he has stability and can rebuild a team.

But doc gate, she was well liked but team spirit. This happened before when they sacked Ray Wilkins and ancellottis team collapsed and he was sacked. I think Jose was just throwing her under the bus to avoid attention to the team playing badly but it just snow balled and he seems too stubborn to be able to recover relationships.

I'm surprised he's gone, they had looked better until this last week. He deserved time and another window but even with no players added that team was good enough but costa and cesc and have been awful this year. Costa may not recover, he can't hack physical abuse and just gets in petty fights constantly. I think he's been worked out in the premier league.

> No way did Vine and daughter watch Chelsea at home every week. It's a nice article, but it almost makes me feel a tad queasy.

> Having said that, I can't really take this thread seriously without a contribution from IainRUK.

Roadrunner5 18 Dec 2015

Agree, we may yet win the league but against Bournemouth it was atrocious. I can't remember us losing so meekly, no fight, no surge at the end. We limped out of that game.

Take away de gea's form and add a few teams with consistency and he'd be under huge pressure.

But as it is we'll see. I don't think we will make a change mid season unless all was lost, and it's not due to this crazy season.
 felt 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks....

Such a shame. I was loving his work this season. I really thought he might get them relegated.

Still, it must be a comfort to FCR fans to know they didn't sell Cech to a direct rival after all.

jcm
 Roadrunner5 18 Dec 2015
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: piers Morgan (yeah I know) was calling him the greatest ever in his article..

He's done well but his career could have been very different bar a spozzy win over United where we had an on side goal chalked off and then they scored from a Howard blunder.

He's done well since but I don't think exceptional. He's won where he should have, I'd say inter was his toughest job.

He did ok at Madrid, tbh I don't think he's been that good at Chelsea each time, spent lots on already good teams but needs longevity to be comparable with the greats.

andymac 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:
> But as it is we'll see. I don't think we will make a change mid season unless all was lost, and it's not due to this crazy season.

I'm not so sure.

After seeing his (Van Gaal) post match ,I d say he was on his way.

The rudder is broken ,and he is not the man for the job.

It's never pretty ,but some Emergency surgery is required.

Now!

Mourinho could be in place by January 1st.
Post edited at 21:28
 Yanis Nayu 19 Dec 2015
In reply to andymac:

Mourhino hasn't got the class to manage Man Utd.
andymac 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Mourhino hasn't got the class to manage Man Utd.

Who does?

The Mourinho is on the market .It has a few dents and scratches,has just had a few engine management glitches,but presents an excellent investment opportunity.
 Ian Jones 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Man Utd. are classy?

Moanio wouldn't fit their liking for all out attack. He favours a counter attacking style. He is far better suited to the Italian game and will probably return to Inter Milan at some stage.
Simeone is the obvious long term candidate for Chelsea. I suspect that Guardiola will go to City. I would like to see The Dark Side get Cantona and Keane on board. Much as I like both of them I'm sure they would make an arse of it.
In reply to Ian Jones:
Man Utd haven't won anything for coming up for 3 years now. They haven't won in 6 games. Their fans are booing them, and they're starting to have the look of a club where the players know that the manager is on borrowed time. They're out of the champions league this year, and its starting to look like they may not be in it next year either.

Mourinho's style may not be what the fans want, but- and as much as I don't like him- he's the closest thing to guaranteed success there is in football management. The Glazers just can't afford another season of failure; the worldwide fan base they need are unlikely to stick with them through lean times. Would they trust Giggs with the task of saving champions league qualification? he didn't exactly set the league on fire when he stood in following Moyes' sacking. It would surprise me now if they *don't* replace LvG with mourinho in the new year. Lose to stoke on Boxing Day and i think it becomes a certainty....

Edit- and he may only be good for 2 years, but if that 2 years brings a league title, then my guess is that the fans will put up with his negative style for a bit...
Post edited at 23:13
Lusk 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Agree, we may yet win the league ....

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

United are finished. You're just a contender now with the other 5 or 6 , at best!

Just need a good Citeh result on Monday.

Roadrunner5 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Lusk:

Its a crazy league.

Beat City and we can win.

But today was awful. This and last week make me think LVG has lost the dressing room. Under Fergie we often lost with 10 men, we faught and cheated til the last, this last 2 games nothing.. we limped out again..

I thnk today was our worse game I've ever watched. They were lucky in that they scored from two chances but we created so little. We miss Schweinsteiger, he's the only one who believes he's a winner.

I cant see LVG lasting. We have had runs as bad but never so meekly. I think Mounrinho will be in within 2 weeks.. I'd rather we give giggs the chance and time TBH.
 Roadrunner5 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Mourhino hasn't got the class to manage Man Utd.

I think that's gone.. We are a busines.. We need short term success. I would rather see Guiggs get 5 years but do think we will go for immediate success.. i.e Mourinho.
 Roadrunner5 20 Dec 2015
In reply to andymac:

> I'm not so sure.

> After seeing his (Van Gaal) post match ,I d say he was on his way.

> The rudder is broken ,and he is not the man for the job.

> It's never pretty ,but some Emergency surgery is required.

> Now!

> Mourinho could be in place by January 1st.

Agree now. Today was awful. I think he has lost the players. His style was boring but he improved us, now we have neither style nor success and I think he's lost the team.

I dont want to throw the rest of the team under the bus. Rooney isnt the player he was but he's not as bad as he currently is.
In reply to Roadrunner5:
Heck- we're all in agreement that mourinho is the next man u boss. ..

Which can only mean one thing - he won't be now!

Edit: you're right about schweinsteiger and the 'winning mentality'- Fergie's teams just 'knew' they were better than the opposition, and that they would win, even if they weren't.

That belief has gone. The team looks what it is- very ordinary. I don't know how you get that mentality back.
Post edited at 08:13
 Roadrunner5 20 Dec 2015

Klopp may be available soon..
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Aye- his 'honeymoon period' didn't last long!
Removed User 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I'd hate to see Giigs put in now. Too much too soon. I'd almost prefer him to go somewhere else first.

LvG is done but I just can't see Mourinho in the job, too much Chelsea history.
 Roadrunner5 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed User:
I think it could be too soon too but would like him to stay at the club.
Removed User 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

So would I but I'm just not sure if he wouldn't b better off spending a little time away to cut his teeth on another club. I wonder if he could be put out on loan as a manager?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35144474

Well it's not unexpected but to which one of the four? United, City, Chelsea or Arsenal.
 Roadrunner5 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):
I think he's going to city. But I suspect United are busily lining someone up so may hijack city. I think it will be Jose though.
 Roadrunner5 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

strange year.. united 3 points off city, their manager is safe.

All to play for yet, a strange twist would be united under Jose claiming the title...
It would surprise me now if they *don't* replace LvG with mourinho in the new year. Lose to stoke on Boxing Day and i think it becomes a certainty. ..

Stoke 2 man u 0

Jose in by Monday?

Edit: man u play chelsea on Monday- cant see mourinho wanting that to be his debut. So one last throw of dice for van gaal?
Post edited at 22:44
 Roadrunner5 27 Dec 2015

Sounds like he may resign.

Dropping Rooney was poor, he's not the player he was but in that team we have no leaders, only Rooney and schweinsteiger. 2-3 years ago we had Rio, Vidic, Neville, Vera, Rooney, giggs, who would drag the team up. At least Rooney put some fight in. With schweinsteiger injured, Rooney dropped, we were totally leaderless and that showed in the first half.

I think we won't make a change until after tomorrow but just can't see him lasting. Bad results are one thing but the lack of style and even worse a total lack of fight spells the end.

It's a pity as I felt he stabilised the club, built a defensive base, strengthened key areas but now we've shot backwards again.
Gone for good 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> I think we won't make a change until after tomorrow but just can't see him lasting. Bad results are one thing but the lack of style and even worse a total lack of fight spells the end.

>Very true.
Mourinho is very definitely not the answer to Man Utds problems though. If anyone is cut out for this job it's Pepe Guardiola although he's not available until the end of the season so maybe Giggs in charge until then.

Roadrunner5 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Gone for good:
I think we will go for Jose. The club under Ed Woodwood think shorterm, they need success quick. Mourinho gives you that.

I agree Jose may not be the right choice, he's divisive, plays fairly poor football, but he has won trophies everywhere.

I think it is too early for Giggs and Peps gone to City according to the reports.
Post edited at 16:19
Removed User 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:
I still think Giggs needs to go somewhere else first. Did I say that already?
Post edited at 17:11
andymac 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed User:
Giggs has not earned the right to be the manager of Manchester United.

That he was allowed to take the reigns at the end of last season was a bit of a joke.

What is Giggs doing atm to help turn things around?

If Mourinho comes , I can't see him wanting Ryan about.and quite rightly so.
Post edited at 18:35
andymac 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Dropping Rooney was exactly the right thing to do.

Actually seemed to energise him.

For someone making £300,000 per week he's just not doing it.Hes fading fast.

Dave the Rave 27 Dec 2015
In reply to andymac:

The Fergie days are gone, but no one will convince me that there's not a host of talent in the youth and scouting set up that isn't as good as Giggs, Scholes and the Neville's . They need a big clear out, perhaps Rooney included, and a Manchester manager. I get a bit sick of 'you've got to have a foreign coach and players' routine.
Mourinho is a 'heeder' and shouldn't be let near the club. Moyes was there at the wrong time and his sacking a shame.
Giggs? The players would respect him and I'm sure Sir Alex would lend a hand.
andymac 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

In that case I would have Agent Hughes before Giggs.

The Class of 92 have quite a lot of influence in the background ,but the only one of them who might be manager material might be G Nev.depending on not whether throwing himself into the deep end at Valencia makes him or breaks him.

In reply to andymac:

> In that case I would have Agent Hughes before Giggs.
Yep. He's done a good job at Stoke. You would be shit scared of him as a player.

> The Class of 92 have quite a lot of influence in the background ,but the only one of them who might be manager material might be G Nev.depending on not whether throwing himself into the deep end at Valencia makes him or breaks him.
He says he doesn't want it. Don't blame him either. Glittering career and if he fails he's let them down. I wouldn't want to manage a team of prima donnas with no interest except for the pay check.
andymac 27 Dec 2015

Sparky was a hard bar steward .

But a fair bar steward.
In reply to andymac:

> Dropping Rooney was exactly the right thing to do.

> Actually seemed to energise him.

> For someone making £300,000 per week he's just not doing it.Hes fading fast.

Not so sure. Is he just beliguered and disillusioned with the playing style. Van Gall seems to have spent a lot of time developing a style of play that isn't working and only he thinks is good.
I would respect him more tomorrow if he threw caution to the wind and just played with tempo whether they let in 3 and scored 4.
In reply to andymac:

> Sparky was a hard bar steward .

> But a fair bar steward.

I wouldn't want him kick a boot at me like Fergie . Saw him down Stoke in the 80's with Robbo. His quads were effin massive!
andymac 27 Dec 2015

My abiding memory of Sparky was smashing it in from a tight angle in Rotterdam 91'

Legend.
andymac 27 Dec 2015
Didn't realise you were of a Red persuasion ?

I thought guys from Stoke were all Port Vale fans and England football hooligans.
Post edited at 19:31
In reply to andymac:

> Didn't realise you were of a red persuasion ?
They're my premier team.
> I thought guys from Stoke were all Port Vale fans and England football hooligans.

I'm a vale fan. Most are Stoke fans. There was a fella from Mull who used to come to our home games for a bet.
andymac 27 Dec 2015

Vale and United?

Poor soul.

I'm Celtic and United.

So I'm in a dark place too.
In reply to andymac:

> Vale and United?
Yep. I love a good kicking.
> Poor soul.

> I'm Celtic and United.
My Scots teams are Aberdeen and Fort Bill for amusement . They never win.
> So I'm in a dark place too.
Hahhahahh

Was she a Witchdoctor?
 Roadrunner5 27 Dec 2015
In reply to andymac:

> Dropping Rooney was exactly the right thing to do.

> Actually seemed to energise him.

> For someone making £300,000 per week he's just not doing it.Hes fading fast.

Had we had other leaders then yes... But not with this team. We need him and schweinsteiger. Both have seen better days.

I'm not convinced Rooney is finished, mata, depay, martial all look average under Van gaal. I think we should keep them all. I think we have the makings of a solid team. We need a center back and a number 10 or attacking midfielder. This te should be comfortably top 4.

I still have hope Herrera can step up, he's class. But I do want more youth, allow them to grow.

But you need a core of hard players who will look after them. You still need to win the fight. The last few weeks we've been physically knocked about too much.

All top teams, United, Chelsea, the invincibles had a spine you wouldn't want to meet on a dark night or at least have a bit of the devil in them to make sure they never backed off a fight. They had talent off that spine but they always earned the right to play football, and even when they played badly they could battle anyone and squeeze a result. Only city have real power at the moment.

Roadrunner5 27 Dec 2015
In reply to andymac:

> Sparky was a hard bar steward .

> But a fair bar steward.

He was as hard and nasty as most players have been. I remember walking past him when I was 13 or so, I was taller than him. I was amazed at how short he was, immense power though.

But that 92-95 team was as hard as any team has been, Ferguson did well to keep them together as it was full of massive personalities. Schmeichel, Bruce, palister, ince, Robson, keane and cantona, Hughes, Dublin up front. Full of big powerful leaders. You look at the team now and you see very few who would scare you.
andymac 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:
Aye.

I was looking at a photo of the Rotterdam 91 team.

What a line up.

Had forgotten about Lee Sharpe.what a player he was when he came through.

He faded,went to Giggsy's party ,then he was gone.
Post edited at 22:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...