UKC

NC500

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cousin nick 18 Dec 2015
Following our successful JOGLE ride in 2013, the latest bout of beer-fuelled enthusiasm has had us considering the NC500.
As a bunch of blokes from Cornwall, we really enjoyed the landscape of northern Scotland - so different from down here, hence the appeal of NC500.
We did JOGLE as a large group (15 riders, 3 support drivers). This worked really well - we were able to ride road bikes with minimal kit, since all our stuff was in the van. As a large, all male group we mainly stayed in YHA accommodation and organised our own catering. Since this system worked so well, I think we'll probably repeat it this time, although we'll probably have fewer riders (10 or 12).
For various reasons, we are limited to one week in September. As with JOGLE, this means booking all accommodation in advance, with no flexibility in the schedule - we have to get from A to B, no matter what.
I've had a good look at the NC500 website:
http://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx
As a result, my first stab at a plan is as follows:
Day 1. Inverness to Applecross (inc. Bealeach na Ba!) 132km.
Day 2. Applecross to Gairloch. 103km.
Day 3. Gairloch to Ullapool. 93km.
Day 4. Ullapool to Durness. 153km.
Day 5. Durness to John O'Groats. 144km.
Day 6. JOG to Helmsdale. 83km.
Day 7. Helmsdale to Inverness. 115km.

My main concern about this, is that the 'best bits(?)' are our long days, but the location of suitable accommodation is the limiting factor.
I'm not to concerned about the distances - I'm probably the slowest rider and average 25kph on 100k rides here in Cornwall. Some of the others are in the 30kph+ range. We've all done 150km+ days before

Obviously these are early days in our planning, but I'm keen to gather advice from anyone with local knowledge of cycling the NC500 route.
Thanks in advance.

N
 tim000 18 Dec 2015
In reply to cousin nick:
it was featured on countryfile last sunday . did you see it ?
OP cousin nick 18 Dec 2015
In reply to tim000:

Yes, that's what prompted the idea.
N
 Brass Nipples 18 Dec 2015
In reply to cousin nick:
At the quoted speeds your longest day is only around 5 hours , so not that long at all. I'd suggest slowing down a bit and enjoying the scenery more. Since your bikes with be unloaded that'll make a for nice pootle round the NC500 and make it more a tour, rather than trying to get to the overnight as quickly as possible.
Post edited at 12:27
In reply to Orgsm:
Yes, I realise that. In fact on JOGLE we rarely exceeded 20kph average due to stops, punctures, headwinds, pubs etc. We definitely don't want to rush!
I'm also tempted to go off the NC500 and bypass JOG (been there!) and the busy A99/A9 stretch. Perhaps do the A897 direct from Melvich to Helmsdale instead along the Halladale river. We did JOG - Bettyhill - Strathnaver - Alltnaharra on the JOGLE ride and loved the ride along the R Naver.

N
Post edited at 12:41
 Dax H 18 Dec 2015
In reply to cousin nick:

I think you are band on skipping Jog and instead of starting at Inverness maybe think fort William and up to Skye for a bimble round the top of the island. Go up to Portree and round the top of the island, either clockwise or counter clockwise is stunning then back on plan to Applecross
In reply to Dax H:

Yeah, the more I look at it, West is best!
The NC500 route is all well and good, but in my (limited) opinion, that eastern section lets it down a bit.
Inverness was chosen as start/finish because some guys are on a limited 'pass' and will need to fly in. Others (me!) will drive the bikes/kit up in the van.
FW start means doing the A82 (which we did on JOGLE) - not a particularly 'fun' ride due to traffic.
Its early days yet though, so plenty of time to plan.
I enjoy this stage too - turning the idea into reality - great stuff for wet winter evenings!

N
 Brass Nipples 18 Dec 2015
In reply to cousin nick:

The way to tackle the busy roads is to start early and get them out the way, then have a late and lazy breakfast. Busy roads are rarely busy 24 hours a day. Depends on how fixed on the NC500 you are, or whether you're just using it as an outline for a trip.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...