UKC

Camping over Christmas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Morning,

Anyone else mad enough to to consider going camping over the Christmas holidays?
I break up today for 2 weeks and am seriously considering it at least for a couple of nights.

:-D
 Tall Clare 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Onion magnet:

It's a great time of year for camping! Generally not that many folk out on the hills either, so it can be more peaceful than at other times.
 Andy DB 18 Dec 2015

With the unseasonably warm weather you might not even need the 4 season sleeping bag!
 John Kelly 18 Dec 2015

Go with the weather, bound to be a dry (ish) spell at some stage during the 2 weeks, New years eve can be fun
In reply to Tall Clare:

> It's a great time of year for camping! Generally not that many folk out on the hills either, so it can be more peaceful than at other times.

My thoughts exactly. If its clear some excellent sky watching could be had.

mp3ferret 18 Dec 2015

yup - going hammocking for a week somewhere near kielder but on the scottish side of the boarder. Counting the days till the 27th then I'm off with son #1 - can't wait. A bit of peace and quiet after the manic build up to christmas
In reply to mp3ferret:

> yup - going hammocking for a week somewhere near kielder but on the scottish side of the boarder. Counting the days till the 27th then I'm off with son #1 - can't wait. A bit of peace and quiet after the manic build up to christmas

That sounds awesome . I hope you have fun

toad 18 Dec 2015
Getting a wood burner for the tentipi has made winter camping a really lovely experience, so long as it isn't hammering down continuously
In reply to toad:

> Getting a wood burner for the tentipi has made winter camping a really lovely experience, so long as it isn't hammering down continuously

Show off

elliott92 18 Dec 2015

Winter's the best time! I'm planning on either bivvying somewhere in the Snowdon horseshoe or if the weathers bad getting some hammock time in the forest of Dean or new forest
 Ramblin dave 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

Bothying is also a good option.
 Welsh Kate 18 Dec 2015

Yep, that's my plan provided the weather's not too horrible, and maybe a bothy if it is. I'd love to wake up on Christmas morning to snow outside the tent so fingers crossed for the forecast!
Gilad N 18 Dec 2015

How can I miss such a long holiday? Out to do the Pennine Way, Yorkshire Dale section over 3 days. Hopefully will get some snow and not just rain. Been looking forward to be able to go for more than one night at a time.
Jim C 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> Bothying is also a good option.

And there already is a Bothying thread with Christmas meal suggestions .
Post edited at 17:51
 balmybaldwin 18 Dec 2015

Spent a fabulous new year in great langdale a few years back. 1ft snow on the ground, -15 overnight, and the campsite was so full people were bivying in the hedges.

DerwentDiluted 19 Dec 2015

Camping over Christmas?

I'm freeee
 Trangia 19 Dec 2015
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Great idea, but take your sun cream and an umbrella............
 toad 19 Dec 2015

> Show off

Oh yes. If you've got it, flaunt it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...