UKC

Via ferrata in Ronda

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Salt 18 Dec 2015
Going to pass by Ronda Monday coming and hope to spend a day or two there. I hear there's via ferrata there but not too clued up on it myself. Can anyone provide direct links to topo images for the routes. Also, are there any companies in Ronda that do kit hire?
Cheers
 adam06 22 Dec 2015
In reply to gkrgeorge:

Hi, i am interested in this too and am trying to find info.
if you find any info about it or via ferrata's nearby.

im heading out at new year
 bigsecret 23 Dec 2015
In reply to gkrgeorge:

I don't have a topo as such but we did do the route a few years ago. We parked here (google maps link) and walked back up the hill to the path on the left.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@36.7376393,-5.1688469,3a,75y,330.87h,64.48t/...

Follow the path initially up hill then down and to the left.The path eventually bottoms out and heads back right towards the base of the cliff. We passed though a "cave" with obviously recently improved access before finally coming to the base of the route. There were three lines of staples going up the wall but only one had a new cable so the choice was clear.

I'd say it was on the easy/medium difficulty end of things being mainly vertical on staples with the occasional short traverses. The top out is at an obvious selfie spot with a great view of the bridge.

To get back to the car simply follow the path from the top out away from the bridge and you'll join the path you initially took from the road after about 3 minutes.

adam06 23 Dec 2015
In reply to bigsecret:

thanks for the info. is there anywhere to hire gear?
In reply to gkrgeorge:

hi
I don't think any where hires gear but you can buy at Intersport Cary in Ronda.
Very good via Ferata in Montejaque 15 mins from Ronda and also one by the road on the way in Benaojan.
One at Guacin is supposed to be good but not done it.
On some you are advised to have a pulley suitable for cables for tyroleans. You can bypass the tyrolean at Montejaque by walking around the gulley to the other side. The directions to the start of the Montejaque one are on a board by the cemetery to the right as you enter the village.
Wish we were holidaying there at moment given the excellent weather compared to 2 months of rain in Kendal! Some details at:-

http://www.spanishhighs.co.uk/via-ferratas-andalucia-spain.php

Enjoy
Martyn
Www.casadelimon.co.uk
OP George Salt 23 Dec 2015
In reply to bigsecret:
Thanks for the info. Ronda got missed out on our way down to tarifa which is gutting but i guess that gives me a reason to come back!

OP George Salt 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Martyn Nicholson:
Thanks. Me and my friend didn't get to Ronda in the end as we just hit the surf in Tarifa but will definitely be coming back sometime next year. This info will be useful then. Muchos gracias for the advice! Yeah, it's 18 degrees here in the windy city and there's been no rain for 2 months apparently.
In reply to gkrgeorge:

Keep in touch if you are back as I have gear for 2 and if I am visiting at same time could meet up
Go to our house there a few time each year for cycling, climbing etc
Martyn
Www.casadelimon.co.uk
In reply to gkrgeorge:

I

Keep in touch if you are back as I have gear for 2 and if I am visiting at same time could meet up
Go to our house there a few time each year for cycling, climbing etc
Martyn
Www.casadelimon.co.uk
OP George Salt 25 Dec 2015
Will do. It'd be hard to pass up an opportunity to come back out here!
George
 adam06 28 Dec 2015
Hi Martyn, thanks for the info. Are the via ferratas you mentioned easy to find? Or can you locate them on a map for me?
In reply to adam06:

The tourist office in Ronda by the bullring should have information.
For the Montejaque one, park by the cemetery just before entering the village. Bare right up an old roman cobbled zig zag track noting details of the via Ferrara on an info panel. When you get to the chapel , bare right just after it to the top of a broad gulley. Descend this to the bottom of the cliff and bare right until you see the rungs and cables heading back up. This seems improbable as you can see the via ferrata from the main road, but unfortunately the land owners won't allow direct access so you have to follow the above route. Probably takes around 2 hours car to car.
Martyn
 dondon 01 Jan 2016

Possibly a bit late for you, but I was there in November. The best place for information is:

http://deandar.com/ferratas/en/Andalucia/vf

It's in Spanish, but I don't speak a word and found it very useful. There are a lot of easy to follow details on precise route locations, topo, and level of difficulty etc.

There are 2 short routes in ronda itself in the gorge on the old town side - head right from the bridge along the top of the gorge and take the obvious path down to the right after a few hundred metres. You'll need a car for other routes, I think there are about a dozen within an hour or so of ronda.
 adam06 11 Jan 2016
In reply to dondon:

thanks all for the info.

also found this PDF which is very useful:
http://deandar.com/pdf/post/dossier-ferratas-serrania.pdf

Did tajo de ronda 1 and tajo de ronda 2.

Tajo de ronda 2 is very easy with not much exposure. great for beginners.
Tajo de ronda 1 was steep and slightly difficult due to the rain.. put my girl friend off via ferrata's so unfortunaly didnt get chance to visit the others.

there are many other via ferratas in the ronda gorge not in the PDF. the 2 in the PDF are the only 2 with cables running from the ground up.

I checked one of the un-cabled ones out, but the rungs just ended after about 10m.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...