UKC

Are ice screws allowed in hand luggage?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon de Leyser 19 Dec 2015
I expect not, but does anyone know whether British Airways permit ice screws in hand luggage? Would have caps on obvs.
Thanks,
J
 marsbar 19 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

It's not up to BA but the airport staff. Chances are they won't like the pointy bit.
 Roberttaylor 19 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

I'm going to go with no.

Quickdraws (with no krabs on), slings, dense clothing, a helmet, bigboots (on your feet), a ton of clothing on your body with socks and gloves stuffed in the pockets on the other hand...
 leon 1 19 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL: Lets see. ... The bag is put through the X Ray machine at security gate. It shows long tubular metal items with handles.(maybe about the shape of a modified weapon ?) Security then inspects the bag and finds a number of items with very sharp machined ends.
Do you really think that they will allow them to go through or will they confiscate them there and then ?

JayPee630 19 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

No! Kinda obviously.
 Dell 19 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

No, they raise an eyebrow at hand grenades too.
 leon 1 19 Dec 2015
In reply to Dell: What about if the grenade had a plastic cap on it ?

nniff 19 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

No. One packed by accident was rejected at Glasgow a few years ago. Not exactly surprising. Your flammable litre of spirits in a glass bottle is fine though. Premeditated mischief-making rather than impulsive mischief is the problem, unless you plan to create some impulsive mischief, in which case there might be a flaw in the system.
Removed User 19 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

No I was stopped at Luton Airport with two in my hand luggage but a nice lady took them in my small rucksac and put them in the hold. Could have been expensive if they'd confiscated them,have lost a sewing kit and a knife and fork (allowed me to keep the spoon) on previous occasions. Once got arrested at Naples airport with my swiss army knife in my pocket, the policeman harangued me in Italian and his lady secretary said to me in English that I had been told off but he was letting me go - phew. I retrieved the knife in Manchester it had travelled with the flight crew in the cabin - I still have it. I check these days and remove anything risky from my hand luggage not worth the hassle.
 Sir Chasm 19 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

Yes, you'll be fine. Pack them next to your Stanley knife and duct tape.
 3leggeddog 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

The confusing world of airport security, there is a victorinox stall through security at Geneva airport.

Can anyone explain that?
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> The confusing world of airport security, there is a victorinox stall through security at Geneva airport.

> Can anyone explain that?

Geneva allows knives <6cm in length through security.
 Babika 20 Dec 2015
In reply to JonmapDL:

No.
Nor axes, crampons or walking poles, even if foldable.

But friends, wires, carabiners and rope have been ok in my hand luggage on a number of occasions at Luton, Stansted and Birmingam.

Climbing tape however.......that was confiscated
J1234 20 Dec 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

I have seen that, I wonder if they have some system for purchases to be placed in the hold?
 Jamie B 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Babika:

> But friends, wires, carabiners and rope have been ok in my hand luggage on a number of occasions at Luton, Stansted and Birmingam.

I've had a rope plus karabiners moved to the hold. I guess you could use a krab as a knuckle-duster but the rope is harder to comprehend.

Basically if we're trying to squeeze more baggage onto the plane by putting climbing stuff into our hand-luggage we really do just have to suck it up and accept that we're putting ourselves at the mercy of airport security.

And for the 5 millionth time on this forum - it's not the airlines that apply the policy!

jkarran 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

I had to give up a rope at security in Manchester a few years back. I asked why and was told it could be used to restrain someone. I kid you not the same security woman let me keep my cable ties. Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense but what can you do...

jk
 3leggeddog 21 Dec 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Yeah, it is crazy at times, basically, if you have to ask then put it in the hold bag.

When the pound is strong against the euro it approaches making economic sense to travel with hand luggage and buy budget rope and draws at decathlon. Obviously not a winter trip
 Dell 21 Dec 2015
In reply to jkarran:

I bet you were wearing a belt too.
 nutme 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

> Geneva allows knives <6cm in length through security.

If UK airports you can carry up to 3 inches folding non fixing knife. I personally did that on dozens of flights and never had problem or even asked anything.
ice guru 01 Jan 2016
In reply to JonmapDL:

no. definitely not. Dont even risk it I tried it and it caused me no end of greif. Some airlines don't even allow ropes, carabinas, or helemets. But definitely not ice screws or crampons, and don't even think about picks!!!
 Wsdconst 02 Jan 2016
In reply to JonmapDL:

You'll be fine ,if I was you I'd probably try to hide them, maybe put one in each barrel of a shotgun or mould them inside sticks of dynamite. Security will never find them.
 Jamie B 02 Jan 2016
In reply to ice guru:

It's not the airlines that make the call, it's airport security. They don't work to any sort of prescribed list
 Stone_donkey 02 Jan 2016
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I travelled to San Francisco from London last year without incident - arrived at the hotel and emptied out my laptop bag which had gone as hand luggage only to see my old Stanley knife fall out (which I'd taken to work a couple of weeks previously and forgotten about), so security's not all it's cracked up to be, not that I'd do it again knowingly...

Travelled to Seattle in pre 9/11 times with crampons and 2 ice axes in my hand luggage (internal US flight). The security guys did have a bit of a paddy, but were ok once I'd wrapped the pointy bits in some scraps of cardboard - happy days....
 net 03 Jan 2016
In reply to JonmapDL:

A few years ago got stopped for having a Petzl Tikka + headtorch in my hand luggage at Manchester security. The discussion between the security staff was along the lines of 'is this too bright?''Hm yes I think so'. Got out of it by handing over the batteries. Then bought some more in the Boots in the airport...
 ADAMSTUBS 03 Jan 2016
In reply to JonmapDL:

I flew with BA to Geneva, in their small print it says they allow ice axes and crampons in the hold luggage, so i figure ice screws would fall into this category.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/liquids-...

See the 'list of security prohibited items' at the bottom of the page.
 TonyM 04 Jan 2016
In reply to ADAMSTUBS:

For avoidance of doubt, you mean items they *don't* allow ice axes or crampons in the cabins of their aircraft

"...passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles into security restricted areas or on board an aircraft, on either their person or in cabin baggage..."
 JJL 04 Jan 2016
In reply to JonmapDL:

You have got to be a troll. 4/10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...