UKC

Climbing trousers what shall I buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 themattyshep 19 Dec 2015
I want to purchase some trousers for indoor bouldering as I am sick of using jeans or soft shell trousers. I would like them to have an elastic waist, be comfortable and roomy and be able to cinch around my ankle so I can see my feet.

I was thinking along the lines of Parana Continuum or the Moon Cypher pant?

Can anyone give me some reviews or some better suggestions? the cheaper the better.

Cheers Shep
 tehmarks 19 Dec 2015
In reply to themattyshep:

I got a pair of Moon Samurai pants* for cragging recently, and I quite like them. The only flaw is that I'm onto my third pair, having taken two back after they tore in identical places just under the waist belt. The third pair are doing well so far, but in fairness after spraining my ankle in September I've barely climbed in them.

* - trousers. I mean trousers.
OP themattyshep 19 Dec 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

Ive heard simmilar things of some friends about the Cypher, so that's why im asking for ideas
 Ramblin dave 19 Dec 2015

My Cyphers finally gave up the ghost this year after about five years of fairly sustained abuse - they were about as bomb-proof as anything I've owned. The only real issue with them was the stupid drawstring waist.
 ScottTalbot 19 Dec 2015
I just use a cheap pair of powerstretch craghoppers. I've only been back climbing for a month, but so far I have no issues with these.
Post edited at 23:48
 climber34neil 20 Dec 2015

E9 rondo pants, hard wearing, elastic waist, comfy, well cut and great colours
 payney1973 20 Dec 2015
E9 trousers
 Robert Durran 20 Dec 2015

Decathlon tracksuit bottoms. About £5. Or similar from Asda. They probably call them jogging pants or something.
 llanberis36 20 Dec 2015

Bought a pair of prana ecliptic trousers today. Light, airy and great fit. Good for indoor and summer wear. Well fitted and no elastic at the bottom
Definitely worth a look
 Nordie_matt 20 Dec 2015

E9 montone or rondo, a bit pricy, but you will end up living in them

+1 forvE9 Rondo, lots of colours, adjustable cuffs, elasticated waist.

Have a look at these hangar 18 ones. I've been wearing them for years. Really comfy, no rips and good fabric for flexibility.
http://www.h18orr.com/products/boulder-pants

Get some Ron Hills Tracksters. Cheap, so hard wearing that they're nigh on indestrucible and you'll get old-school cred too.

You won't be fashionable, but that never stopped me or a generation of others.

T.
 Toerag 20 Dec 2015

just wear shorts, it's not like it's cold indoors.
 jimjimjim 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:
That's not how you buy your way into a lifestyle. Oh no, indoor climbing is only possible if you have all the latest crag wear worn by the stars.
You'll be telling me I don't need ten cams on my harness for 20ft crack next.
 Robert Durran 20 Dec 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

> That's not how you buy your way into a lifestyle.

it depends whether you want to buy into the lifestyle image of a scummy climber or of a fashion victim.
 alx 20 Dec 2015

Hi Matt

You get what you pay for, the Psiphon SL whilst a bit pricey are absolutely bombproof lightweight trousers that I now do all my outdoor and indoor bouldering in. I will definately buy these again but its going to be 7-10yrs before I reach that point based on the performance of my last pair. If its warm your going to be in shorts whilst at the gym, so why not get something that covers more use.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?gender=mens&model=Psiphon-SL-Pant&...

ericinbristol 20 Dec 2015

I'm a big fan of the Rab Sawtooth 'pants'. http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/legwear/sawtooth-pants

Light, wind resistant, breathable and nice zip pockets. Stretchy. No problems seeing my feet, so I don't find cinching at the ankle necessary
 Trangia 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Toerag:

> just wear shorts, it's not like it's cold indoors.

Plus 1
 galpinos 20 Dec 2015
In reply to ericinbristol:
> I'm a big fan of the Rab Sawtooth 'pants'. http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/legwear/sawtooth-pants

> Light, wind resistant, breathable and nice zip pockets. Stretchy. No problems seeing my feet, so I don't find cinching at the ankle necessary

I'm not sure wind resistance is that necessary indoors, unless it's to contain flatulence.....

Get a pair of Prana Mojo shorts in the sale and you're set, or for the budget/sensible option whatever shorts fit you from Decathalon.....
Post edited at 19:34
In reply to jimjimjim:

> That's not how you buy your way into a lifestyle. Oh no, indoor climbing is only possible if you have all the latest crag wear worn by the stars.

> You'll be telling me I don't need ten cams on my harness for 20ft crack next.

I'm not sure you're embracing the grinding utilitarianism which is the cornerstone of UKC!
 ericinbristol 20 Dec 2015
In reply to galpinos:
Oops, I didn't spot that they were for *indoor* climbing! In that case I change my advice to 'Any old trousers'
Post edited at 21:11
 climber34neil 20 Dec 2015

So what are you going to go for then??
In reply to themattyshep: I currently have two pairs of the previous version Moon Cypher pants.

They are GOOD trousers, although I got one pair on sale for £30 from Rock and Run and the other second hand for a bit less. At that sort of price I'd thoroughly recommend them but they aren't particularly amazing and I'd be reluctant to pay full price.

The E9 ones, and possibly others, are probably better but unfortunately even more expensive.

It's definitely worth getting some trousers specifically designed for indoor climbing/bouldering, however the big issue is whether you are happy to wait long enough to find a bargain or whether you are going to pay lots for the best possible option in your first choice of colour and style.
 sean1 21 Dec 2015

I have found Blurr Rogue pants very good. They have plenty of freedom in movement without been baggy, they are tough without been harsh material and have lasted well. They have a cinch cord at the ankles but I rarely use it and just turn up the cuffs a few turns.There are reviews on the net.
 ogreville 21 Dec 2015

> ...... I would like them to have an elastic waist, be comfortable and roomy and be able to cinch around my ankle so I can see my feet.

From your description, I would recommend the trousers used by a certain breed of circus performer, perhaps driving a car that falls apart.

I've seen a few people down my local wall wearing similar trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...