UKC

Wind on a bike (Weather variety !)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 20 Dec 2015
Ive been out and done 60 miles or so this morning on the road bike, most of it into hideous winds.
I actually get to the point where I shout at the gales sometimes . Anyone who hears me must think im mad or something !

Do I need a phsychological assessment !
 abr1966 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

No it's very reasonable! I'm equally fed up of riding in wind and rain!
 Chris the Tall 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

Sounds like on of those rides where you are convinced the wind has changed direction whilst you were sat in the cafe!

My tip is to ride with the wind as much as possible, then get a train back. You get to see new places, which is usually interesting. Though not if you end up in somewhere like Goole, as I did on one summer evening, and couldn't even find a pub anywhere near the station
 ianstevens 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

Nope, I do the same.

I also shout at the mud whilst out running. Like it's the ground's fault I've put the wrong shoes on and fallen over.
 petegunn 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

Not on my bike but whilst out climbing today I was giving the finger to the rain and wind, swearing included.
I live in Cumbria, i did 11 climbs, F U rain! : )
 wilkesley 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

It's even worse if when you have planned a loop so on the outwards leg you are struggling against the wind. When you start on the homeward leg, somehow the wind is still against you and any hope of an easy ride home is banished.
Jim C 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:
If you are just out for exercise then the simplist thing is to rationalise that you are getting more exercise in less distance, so do less distance and you get some time to do something else.

( however, in September I was fighting my way uphill a lot if the time, and into the wind with a fully laden touring bike, and I had a min distance to the next warm Bod, so it is a case of head down and suffer for as long as it takes)
Post edited at 17:44
OP Newbuild100 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Well most of your comments have made me realise it's not just me, and made me laugh too.
I actually shout at the weatherman, like its his fault !!!
 streapadair 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

Me too when running. Hard to think of anything more futile or counterproductive.
 Yanis Nayu 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

I've done the same, especially when I've done and out and back ride and the wind's been in my face both ways.
 Brass Nipples 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

I guess the Dutch headwind cycling championships aren't for you then.

youtube.com/watch?v=c75b_98q-0c&
 Mal Grey 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

I hate the wind these days.

I used to enjoy the challenge of a windy mountain, up to a point, but since spending much more time biking and, especially, open canoeing, it has become my nemesis. The last 5 or 6 weeks (in fact much of the autumn) have been a proper annoyance, almost making me feel disillusioned about the canoeing thing. I found myself swearing at each gust, "oh ffs", "will you just FO" etc, etc at the gusts that were propelling me into the banks, or spinning me round just as I tried to take a photo.

On the bike, being a mountain biker rather than a roadie, I hide in the forests on windy days. I've seen a lot of trees this autumn.

Thankfully, today I found a couple of hours of (relative) stillness, and I was reminded that its just so worthwhile getting out and doing stuff, those few moments of perfection make up for the times battling the elements.
 EarlyBird 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Jim C:

"...and I had a min distance to the next warm Bod..."

I hope you mean Bodega!

Jim C 21 Dec 2015
In reply to EarlyBird:

> "...and I had a min distance to the next warm Bod..."

> I hope you mean Bodega!

Camping Bods or Shetland Heritage Accommodation

http://www.shetlandlighthouse.com/assets/files/Accomodation-brochure-Mar-20...
Jim C 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

> Well most of your comments have made me realise it's not just me, and made me laugh too.
> I actually shout at the weatherman, like its his fault !!!

I was actually cycling on Orkney WITH a ex- weatherman, but I never shouted at him.

Removed User 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

That link maybe me nostalgic for Eurotrash!
 Roadrunner5 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

I just find in wind I just dont work hard. It's like I just give in so dont push it the same as you dont get the reward for the effort. I was out doing 50 miles yesterday on gravel and mainly road and it was 3-4C in strong winds. Just pretty unpleasant. I sort of enjoyed it but reckon another 5-10 miles longer and I'd have seriously been in the shit as I finished at dusk just as the temps dropped to below 0. I just couldnt work hard enough to get warm.
 faffergotgunz 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

LOL i duz da same on me ped bruv! Dem feckin lorrys n dere wall ov wind, i jus ride past screamin at dem feckerz bruv.

Try stickin both armz up in da air wen a gust hitz u innit. Wind hitz ur armz but wont hit da bike.
 Brass Nipples 21 Dec 2015
In reply to faffergotgunz:

> LOL i duz da same on me ped bruv! Dem feckin lorrys n dere wall ov wind, i jus ride past screamin at dem feckerz bruv.

> Try stickin both armz up in da air wen a gust hitz u innit. Wind hitz ur armz but wont hit da bike.

You are Andy Morley and I claim my £5
 cousin nick 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

I did a wet 'n windy ride on Saturday morning. I stopped at an agricultural supplies place just over half way 'cos they've got a good snack bar. The lovely ladies that serve the tea and bacon butties were definitely questioning my sanity as I wrung out my gloves and skull cap under the awning. I don't think they believed me either when I said I was hot, but its really mild down here in the SW at the moment.
Yep, I shout at the wind too!
Embrace the misery - I'm sure that there's plenty of folk in hospitals and homes that would love to have the ability to go ride a bike on ANY day.
We'll be dead a long time, so make every day count!
N
 GrahamD 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

Biggest problem I find cycling into a headwind is its just really hard to breathe.
OP Newbuild100 21 Dec 2015
In reply to GrahamD:
Lord, I am just glad it aint just me then, and once again, thanks for all comments. They do make feel "Normal"

Did I read somewhere that someone at the Met measured the winds over one full year and suggested that in that particular year, only 17 windless days were recorded in the UK.

17 ? Id be surprised if it wasnt more like 7.
I work near smokey chimneys and hardly ever see the steam/smoke go straight up !!!
Post edited at 15:36
 Bloodfire 22 Dec 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

There is a very specific name that I give to this type of wind... it's called an 'againsterly'!
 EarlyBird 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Jim C:

That's interesting. I'm glad I made my flippant comment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...