UKC

Touring Mayrhofen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gasmerchant 20 Dec 2015

I've been roped into going to the snowbombing festival in Mayrhofen next year, and was wondering whether anyone has done any ski touring around there?

While I'll definitely have a few beers after a days skiing, and certainly go to the Prodigy gig, I'd rather get some quality time in touring if possible, and see off the debauchery and crowds.

I've recently picked up the start of a bad Scottish touring habit, and fear I've unleashed another addiction. It was only meant to be an easy way to get to and from winter climbs. Honest.
Post edited at 16:46
 AlanLittle 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Gasmerchant:

There's stacks, it's an absolute paradise.

Austrian Alpine Club and Kompass maps have recommended / popular ski touring routes marked. This is the Kompass one you need:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3854915616?keywords=kompass%20037%20mayrhof...

If you are can afford / are interested in a guide for a day or two, I can highly recommend Peter Bacher of Rock and Snow. Did a powder technique course with him a few years ago and he was great.

http://www.rocknsnow.at/site/guides/peter.html?L=1

I've only done lift served off piste in the area, so can't recommend actual tours, but for list served stuff the Grüblspitze SE ridge is a short walk from the lift, superb and very safe. The "Schwarze Pfanne" from the bottom of the Hintertux Glacier down to the valley used to be great in good powder conditions but I believe they piste it these days. Pity.

Hopefully somebody with more experience of actual touring in the area will be along shortly. For example I know there's some molto wild & serious stuff off the back of the Hintertux Glacier, but I can't offer any actual knowledge of it except that it exists.

OP Gasmerchant 21 Dec 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

Many thanks! I'll get digging. A guide might be worthwhile for a day or two if I split it with my touring buddy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...