UKC

Would the forums be better if there was a 'introduce yourself'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Left the forums 20 Dec 2015
Can't get the full question into the title but the last word would have been forum or area.

I've always been reluctant to post a profile, but have recently realised the benefit of having one. I know there is a L next to denote new users but what happens if a previous lurker wants to gradually introduce themselves, is there a way of encouraging people to provide a profile?

Please feel free to pass comment on my profile good or bad, but try to keep it reasonably polite/sensible.
In reply to Andy 976853:

Hi 976853, the forums are only as good as the people on it. How we introduce ourselves is down to us. Personally I think the forums would be better ran as a community climbing club, rather than a corporate business model with sponsors to please.

Andy Morley 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

> Please feel free to pass comment on my profile good or bad, but try to keep it reasonably polite/sensible.

I think it would look better if the photo was the right way up instead of sideways.

Removed User 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Ugh please no, it just results in a handful of people posting 'welcome to the forum!' to increase their post count.

People can't and shouldn't be expected to check an 'introduce yourself' section of the forum for new posters, this isn't that close a community. It's just a message board.
In reply to BannedUser27:

Happy with your view. I struggle with the business/corporate side of your post primarily because I don't understand.
In reply to Removed User:

Fine, but when I read other comments about people not having a having a profile I just thought it might help.
In reply to Andy Morley:

I suspect I'm about to get into trouble but,

For someone who can call martin not maisie a bully (someone that went out of his way to help me) you can f*ck off
In reply to Andy 976853:

I don't think I've had so many 'likes' it would help if you gave an indication of why you like the post - I have no idea whether you like confrontation or the post.
 EarlyBird 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Funnily enough I crossed Kinder with my Dad in in'76 - loved it as well. I like your dog.
In reply to Andy 976853:

It might be better if there was an 'explain yourself' forum for everyone with a gripe of some sort to post in.

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I'm struggling to see the difference between the 'explain yourself' forum or 'introduce yourself forum' other than one sounds friendly and one sounds not. I wasn't expecting any area of the forums that I or others would be immune from the general nature of internet forums, I was just suggesting something that might encourage people to put up a profile.
 Andy Morley 20 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

> For someone who can call martin not maisie a bully (someone that went out of his way to help me) you can f*ck off

I think you may be confusing me with someone else. However, I do get the feeling that you're taking the internet just a tad too seriously here.
In reply to Andy 976853:

The 'explain yourself' forum wouldn't be for introductions, it'd be more a forum where people could vent; a place where folk could say 'I am so saddened/shocked/offended/aroused by this thing/event/person that I would like to call them out on a climbing forum where other people may have an opinion about it but the chance of generating meaningful insight is so small as to be insignificant. Nevertheless, explain yourself Jeremy Corbyn/judges on TV talent shows/shops advertising Christmas stuff in October/the Daily Mail/gravity' and similar.

Then everyone would know that this is the forum where people are getting annoyed with each other and the rest of the forums could be a happier place.

T.
PS You should really have said 'I don't understand this idea for an 'explain yourself' forum. Explain yourself!'
Left the forums 21 Dec 2015
I don't understand 'this' world, I'm off to take the dog for a walk, a long one...

PS. Can anyone explain how to delete a profile picture? A serious question.
Post edited at 11:23
 Andy Morley 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

> I don't understand 'this' world, I'm off to take the dog for a walk, a long one...
> PS. Can anyone explain how to delete a profile picture? A serious question.

It's all perfectly comprehensible. When I got in last night after a neighbours' party where real people were being perfectly civil to each other and having interesting conversations with not a computer in sight, I read the above thread and reached the conclusion that you were feeling a little bit over-wrought. You've obviously reached the same conclusion yourself and getting out/ walking the dog/ whatever else along those lines is absolutely the best way of dealing with it. Don't start an 'explain yourself thread' - that was just someone's joke and I think given what you've just said, it might make matters worse if you took the suggestion literally.
In reply to Andy Morley:

F*ck off
 Alyson 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Don't delete your profile pic! The horizon's a little off but it's still a great photo. I'm glad you've put up a profile, it's nice to get to know people a little better
In reply to Alyson:

Thanks but I think I will be better of going back to being the silent one who smiles when he sees something nice, rather than picking fights with a stranger.

I might not understand much but I have learnt to look after myself over the years.

Smiley face thingy.
In reply to Andy 976853:

If you haven't invested much time in the online world, you'd probably be better getting out before you become hooked to another addiction of meaninglessness. But if you're here to stay well stay cool bro <;^)
 Dave Garnett 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> I think it would look better if the photo was the right way up instead of sideways.

Do you have a less abrasive setting or are you always like this?
 Alyson 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

I can see why you'd feel like that. There are benefits to having a full profile, especially when it comes to finding climbing or walking partners, but it can leave you feeling a bit exposed.
 Andy Morley 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

> Thanks but I think I will be better of going back to being the silent one who smiles when he sees something nice, rather than picking fights with a stranger.

It was 'Reggie Perrin' who called 'Martin not Maisie' a bully, not me, so you've been picking a fight with the wrong guy over that one.

You do realise those are both made up names? If you find yourself getting into online battles over people's imaginary online personas, then it might be better to try online fantasy gaming rather than using a climbing forum for this sort of thing. Personally I don't think online gaming is a particularly healthy activity, but then maybe that's just me.
In reply to Andy Morley:

Out
 deepsoup 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:
> PS. Can anyone explain how to delete a profile picture? A serious question.

The one on your profile now? When you invited comments on your profile in the OP, I almost replied say it's a really nice pic, seems a shame to bin it. :O)

Edit to add:
Ah, I see Alyson beat me to it.
I used to have a slightly fuller profile than I do now, decided to scale it back in the end because I felt a bit um.. 'exposed' just as Alyson says. Like a lot of folk here I opted for a sort of semi anonymous profile pic (which in my case also happens to be about the best photo I have of me climbing anyway).

If you do decide you want to do away with your profile that's cool, but it would be a shame to do that on account of a single snarky poster. There is always one of those on any UKC thread, but once you get past that a lot of folk on here are really nice.
Post edited at 14:17
 deepsoup 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:
> It's all perfectly comprehensible.

That's rich coming from you, UCK's undisputed number 1 poster of train-of-thought incoherent rambling word soup.

> so you've been picking a fight with the wrong guy over that one.

He wasn't picking a fight with anyone. There's really no need to be quite so snarky, so why don't you just wind your neck in?
 Andy Morley 21 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> He wasn't picking a fight with anyone. There's really no need to be quite so snarky, so why don't you just wind your neck in?

His words not mine.
Donald82 21 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:
The OP did accuse him of calling someone a bully, which turned out to be a case of mistaken idenity
 Andy Morley 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Donald82:

> The OP did accuse him of calling someone a bully, which turned out to be a case of mistaken idenity

You're right, but I do in any case owe 'deepsoup' an apology. I once made a pun on his name, which I did in all innocence as it's clearly not his actual name, and that offended him. I am afraid that I do struggle a bit to keep track of "who's who" in these forums because of the large number of people hiding behind fake IDs, and I admit that sometimes, I do tend to go "Yeah, well, another made-up name, no skin in the game, whatever". However with deepsoup that is not the case and I made a mistake, for which I unreservedly apologise to him.
 deepsoup 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Donald82:
> The OP did accuse him of calling someone a bully, which turned out to be a case of mistaken idenity

Apparently so, indeed. A mistake made on the OP's part whilst replying to a snide comment that wasn't in any way called for.
 Andy Morley 21 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Apparently so, indeed. A mistake made on the OP's part whilst replying to a snide comment that wasn't in any way called for.

I really did and do regret that other episode. It was a genuine mistake - I know that my carelessness and inattention were no excuse but there was no malice or ingratitude intended. I really am sorry.

deepsoup 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:
Not for the first time, I'm really not at all sure what you're on about. As far as I'm concerned, you don't owe me an apology for anything.

I don't remember the thing you were talking about earlier (which is no surprise - my memory is pretty shocking these days), but I very much doubt I'd have been offended by anyone taking the piss out of my username, it's just not something that seems likely to bother me. It's more likely I had the hump about something else you'd said entirely, but either way it's all water under the bridge now.
 Andy Morley 21 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Not for the first time, I'm really not at all sure what you're on about. As far as I'm concerned, you don't owe me an apology for anything.
> I don't remember the thing you were talking about earlier (which is no surprise - my memory is pretty shocking these days), but I very much doubt I'd have been offended by anyone taking the piss out of my username, it's just not something that seems likely to bother me. It's more likely I had the hump about something else you'd said entirely, but either way it's all water under the bridge now.

I do remember, though not the detail of that conversation, there was other background. If I had been in your shoes, I would have felt the same way. I'm not in any way implying any criticism over old grudges. I'm going to stop now for fear of over-egging the pudding.
In reply to Andy Morley:

> IDon't start an 'explain yourself thread' - that was just someone's joke and I think given what you've just said, it might make matters worse if you took the suggestion literally.

Just so Andy. Apologies to anyone that took it at face value; that was not my intent.

T.

Donald82 21 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Apparently so, indeed. A mistake made on the OP's part whilst replying to a snide comment that wasn't in any way called for.

Do you mean saying the OP's photo was squint?
In reply to Andy Morley:

Bit cheeky what you've done with the profile pic there Andy....

In reply to Andy Morley:

> You're right, but I do in any case owe 'deepsoup' an apology. I once made a pun on his name, which I did in all innocence as it's clearly not his actual name, and that offended him. I am afraid that I do struggle a bit to keep track of "who's who" in these forums because of the large number of people hiding behind fake IDs, and I admit that sometimes, I do tend to go "Yeah, well, another made-up name, no skin in the game, whatever".

How very *dare* you...!

This *is* my name!

no_more_scotch_eggs
 Sir Chasm 21 Dec 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I think you'll find that I am Brian.
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I'm Spartacus.

T.
 Brass Nipples 21 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

Plus Andy Morley is not his real name.

Sir Chasm 21 Dec 2015

Nice to meet you.
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Splendid to meet you too Brian.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...