UKC

Footwear for Cullin ridge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 21 Dec 2015
With a choice of B2s or scarpa crx approach shoes what would you take for the ridge in spring? Are rock shoes recommended to have in the pack just in case?
 Dr.S at work 21 Dec 2015
In reply to zimpara:

If there is no snow, then the Scarpa Crux's should be fine, for the main ridge more than capable of the climbs.
 kwoods 21 Dec 2015
In reply to zimpara:
Don't bring rock shoes if you are traversing the ridge crest. They aren't needed, I tend to think the crest has more often a likeness to beach boulder hopping than traditional pitched rock climbing.

Spring snow is an infinitely variable issue (of two parts; personal experience and snow condition) and I don't think anyone could reliably give you an answer. I've gone on the hill with either approach shoes and B2s in spring and they can both be a nightmare, or perfect for the conditions. But if your time is short don't waste a day because you didn't use the B2s.

Kev
Post edited at 18:20
 dwisniewski 21 Dec 2015
In reply to zimpara:

Second the previous commenter, scarpa crux. I did it in early June, admittedly in perfect weather in a pair of Five ten D'Asceant shoes and my partner did it in a pair of crux' I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...