UKC

OI NEWS: The Castle Announces New CEO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 22 Dec 2015
The Castle Climbing Centre, 4 kbManaging the UK's biggest and busiest climbing wall is one of the top jobs in the climbing industry, so when The Castle announced it was recruiting for a CEO, the news attracted a lot of attention.

Read more
 Pedro50 29 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

"Duncan has been climbing for over 20 years, much of this at The Castle."

Hmm, perhaps a little blinkered. Walls have a lot to answer for.
 stp 04 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

> The Castle is also one of the largest employers in the industry with over 70 employees on just one site.

Hmm, not sure that's something to be proud of. Perhaps that's partly why it has one of the highest entry prices into any wall too?
 alaster tonge 10 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

>...one of the largest employers in the industry with over 70 employees....

Sadly this includes some of the very worst customer relations examples I have ever come across. Unfriendly and unhelpful staff at reception often being rude and clearly holding customers in the greatest contempt. I hope the new CEO can turn this around.
An example was going to the desk to ask for change for a locker last week, normally I make sure I have a pound ready; while I was there I suggested that they may as well scan my card to log me in.
Staff: "It would be better if you went to the automatic scan-in point"
Me: "Yes, but while I'm here you could please just scan my card. Could I not just put the bar code under this bar code reader?"
Staff: "Yes but I have to tell the system that you are logging in, it's better that you walk over there and use the automatic entry system"
Me: "You can log me in here and as I had to come here to get change, can you not do so, please?"
Staff: "Well I'll do it this time. Just realize that it is much easier for me if you don't ask me to next time."

I love the Castle and even rudeness from some of it's staff won't put me off.

Fraser 10 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Qu: I've never climbed at The Castle, but when it says it's the "biggest wall in the UK" how is that determined? Is it by square meters of climbing wall, number of lead & TR lines, total volume of climbing arena space etc, visitor numbers per annum?
Andrew Kin 10 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

This place is on my list of venues to visit this year with my 8yr old daughter. It's quite a trek so I hope it isn't as unfriendly as its being made out to be.
 jsmcfarland 11 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

When I went there with my uncle who just wanted to belay the staff at the desk made us fill out the wrong form, so had to do that twice. Then they tried to charge him £12.50 or whatever it was just to belay. When I challenged that this sounded a bit over the top (High sports and white spider charge £2 or 3 I think) a second staff member talked to the DO over the radio to find out that belayers get in free. Go figure!
 Niall_li 11 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Well to balance out this conversation from the usual ppl with bad things to say are more likely to pipe up that those with positive... I climb in the castle quite a bit and can't say I recall any encounters where I found the staff rude. Generally i've found them pretty friendly and approachable, perhaps i'm in the minority and there are swathes of ppl out there ranting about the customer service, but i don't think so...
 The New NickB 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

It quite a few years since I have climbed at the Castle (I remember it opening), and I know has expanded a bit since, but I suspect that it isn't the biggest wall in Britain at all. Biggest in London, no doubt!
 Mike Highbury 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Niall_li:
> Well to balance out this conversation from the usual ppl with bad things to say are more likely to pipe up that those with positive... I climb in the castle quite a bit and can't say I recall any encounters where I found the staff rude. Generally i've found them pretty friendly and approachable, perhaps i'm in the minority and there are swathes of ppl out there ranting about the customer service, but i don't think so...

... But God knows what someone who has spent his working life in social housing will do to improve the customer experience.
 alaster tonge 11 Jan 2016
In reply to Thelittlesthobo:

I'm sorry. My comment did not mean to put off. The Castle is fantastic and you will have a brilliant time.
I just hope that the odd slacker on the staff gets their socks pulled up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...