UKC

Another "which rope" question.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoulderGoat 22 Dec 2015
Hi,

Looking to buy a rope.

I'm after a 60m rope that's quite durable and water repellent.

For use both indoors and outdoors.

The one I'm looking at at the moment is this: http://www.iafstore.com/uk/beal/rope-top-gun-ii-unicore-golden-dry-10-5mm-6...

Does anyone have any advice or other suggestions?

I have a habbit of exhausting every information source before I finally make a decision and buy something.

I don't really want to spend much more than that unless there's a very good reason for it.

Thanks in advance.
 alasdair19 22 Dec 2015
In reply to BoulderGoat:

for me the uni core is a very good reason to buy Beal. You could pay less but a do everything rope will take a bit of hammer. the various dry treatments seem to reduce dirt pick up which

or get two ropes for UK trad almost everyone has half ropes. If u buy a 60 it'll work fine for grit doubled and then just find a cheap fat 40m or 50m for indoor.
 whenry 22 Dec 2015
In reply to BoulderGoat:

Unless you climb at Ratho regularly, a 30-40m rope will do for indoors at most places, and you (and your climbing partners) won't be cursing the length of your rope every time you pull it through or find a knot in the middle.
 David Sz 22 Dec 2015
In reply to BoulderGoat:

I've got a mammut infinity and love the way it handles, UKC review here http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6452
 HeMa 22 Dec 2015
In reply to BoulderGoat:

Wear from biners, getting lowered (indoor and sport) plus abrasion form rock will pretty much wear out the what ever water repellent dry-treatment is has.

So having a rope for casual sport & trad is vise, if you also have a dedicated rope for indoors (shorter) and conditions where dry-treatment is needed (winter and seacliffs).

What I do, is buy a cheapo rope for sport (as we also go to spain, I get a 80m or so one), which can be had for around 100 eur (search for bargains).

Good dry-treated rope is then bought for winter action. And when the treatment wears off, I shorten it and dedicate for indoor use.

From my experience, you get more seasons out of ropes this way than just having a single rope.
 Fraser 23 Dec 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

> for me the uni core is a very good reason to buy Beal. You could pay less but a do everything rope will take a bit of hammer.

I thought the same re the unicore till I bought one and it hasn't lasted very well. I'll not be buying a Beal rope again. The replacement Edelrid however has performed admirably. (9.5mm)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...