UKC

Singing Rock Fakir crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stouffer 22 Dec 2015
Hi

A mate of mine wants to try some winter stuff but doesn't want to fork out for pricey boots just yet so I've advised he gets some flexible crampons in the G10/Monte Rosa mould and tries a bit of grade I stuff in his walking boots to see if it's for him.

I've seen the Singing Rock Fakir (http://www.singingrock.com/Fakir ) for a silly price and they actually advertise them as being suitable for 'softer trekking boots'. Just wondered if anyone has used them and could comment on how flexible they are, is the link bar as springy as a G10? Can't find much info on them but one of my other mates has their Bandit ice axes which are half decent.

Any other suggestions for flexible crampons? I know all about Kahtoolas but they don't come cheap. Are Simond Caiman2 or Climbing Tech Nevis worth looking at?

Cheers
 PPP 22 Dec 2015
In reply to stouffer:

I haven't tried their crampons. I got Singing Rock Bandit axes and they do their job. Time will tell whether I get any issues!

I guess the key of smaller prices is that those smaller, lesser known companies manufacture something similar rather than create something very innovative (well, some Simond axes look at least weird!). They take a proven design and make something similar. Like Petzl Quark and Singing Rock Bandit axes are really different... Most of them are also based in non-UK/US, so that keeps the manufacturing/R&D/etc. costs lower.

On the other hand, I got a pair of Climbing Tech Nuptse crampons (C1) which are similar to Nevis, except that they have 12 points. I am happy to sell them as I got upgraded to C3 crampons. I can even sell a pair of Scarpa SLs (UK 8.5/EU 43 iirc) if your mate is interested.
 Pina 23 Dec 2015
In reply to stouffer:

I've got the alpmayo crampons they make which are ok. Solid steel but heavy and don't fit all boots that well.
OP stouffer 24 Dec 2015
In reply to stouffer:

Thanks guys but has anyone er.. used the crampons in question? :-p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...