UKC

Baildon bank current conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
How quickly does the area around Joanna dry? Does the grassy bank above seep down it? Or should it have dried out by this afternoon...?

Cheers
Gregor
 Kid Spatula 23 Dec 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

It's falling down, wet, sandy and polished. Business as usual then.
 Simon Caldwell 23 Dec 2015

I've climbed there within an hour or two of rain and always found something that's dry enough. Not sure about the Joanna area specifically though.
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Yeah, but what about its *bad* points..?

:-D
 Jon Stewart 23 Dec 2015

> Yeah, but what about its *bad* points..?

That'll be the routes.

PaulTanton 23 Dec 2015
If you can spare the time for the walk in it might be worth a look.
In reply to PaulTanton:

Well, the toil through the quagmire that was supposedly a path to get to the crag was worthwhile- first time out in ages, so any route would have been good, getting a 2* HS (agnostic's arête) done on a crisp winter's afternoon while a kestrel swooped below made it a memorable day out.

Shame about the rotting pile of choss that sits on top of the crag. Wondering whether I'd get to the top before the stuff I was climbing on got to the bottom was an extra layer of spice I'd have happily passed on.

Is there any clever trick to avoid this? Pre-placing a belay would be possible, but its out of sight and unless a guard was set to make sure it wasn't tampered with not sure I'd want to trust it...

Cheers
Gregor
 1poundSOCKS 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> That'll be the routes.

Oy, I thought you'd only done 2 of them?
 Offwidth 24 Dec 2015
I've used pre-placed belays for a few of the chossier exits on obscurities. Another tactic is to abseil/lower from the top of the climbing then abseil from the fence above to clear the gear you left. Most of the popular stuff is OK at the top. I think its a really good place as long as you can lead HS.
Post edited at 07:52
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes lots of very good looking stuff in the HS/VS range. The abseil from fence post to clear sounds a good idea. Top out may not have felt so precarious after drier weather... very loose and soggy yesterday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...