UKC

Anyone had experience using Paramo in Himalaya?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 23 Dec 2015
Clients kitting up for Scottish winter so Paramo is high on my recommendation list but they want to use it for Himalayan ascents later this year. Looking for anyone who has actually used it in the Himalaya rather than theories thanks.
 koolkat 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:
used the aspira salls on Aconcagua the dog dooglies not the Himalayas but nearly 7000 m

OP Mike Lates 23 Dec 2015
In reply to koolkat:

Thankskk
m0unt41n 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:
Only used a Paramo once on an expedition, this was an Aspira Pro jacket and up to Advanced Base Cho Oyu. Above that it was down. Otherwise always used an Aspira on treks Karakorum & Himalayas. For me Paramo wins hands down for comfort on long treks up to 5000'ish metres since its not going to be really cold. However above its colder and nearly 1kg for a waterproof jacket doesn't work.

Sorry I can't give you a generalised answer. It is ultimately going to depend upon the altitude and expected conditions and what you have to carry. Paramo may be ideal, or it may be much too heavy for the protection it provides.
 Iwan 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:

I've not used Paramo gear at altitude but I have worn it at temperatures of -32C in Finland whilst back country skiing.
I used the Aspira salopettes and smock with just a vest underneath when skiing or with the addition of a fleece hoodie when not so active. When stopped I also wore the Torres overlayering jacket.

The 'secret' of staying warm in the Arctic/sub-Arctic is to avoid sweating, or so I was told by many of the locals. The breathability of Paramo helped with this but I also found that Bergans cotton smocks worked perfectly too!

Solaris 23 Dec 2015
In reply to m0unt41n:

> For me Paramo wins hands down for comfort on long treks up to 5000'ish metres since its not going to be really cold. However above its colder and nearly 1kg for a waterproof jacket doesn't work.

I'm interested in what those who've used Paramo at altitude think of it, but one thing that occurs to me about your comment is that although Paramo gear is sold as waterproof, the outer is windproof and the lining is insulative - two properties which I'd have thought were very useful at altitude. But maybe, weight for weight and warmth for warmth, down would be better.
 Denzil 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:
Used a Paramo Enduro jacket on a 6 week trip to the Himalayas earlier this year. Trek was round the Manaslu circuit, including a week camping at 5100m just below Larkya La. Weather conditions were not generally particularly good, so the jacket got used quite a lot. Didn't get above 5300m due to avalanches (had permit for Larkya Peak), but would have used the Paramo jacket for that. Weight/warmth at low altitude not great, but over a base layer is ok, at altitude it was excellent. Got back to Kathmandu just in time for the first earthquake.
 Rich W Parker 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Mike Lates:
Quite possibly the Godfather.
Happy festives to all the Lates clan.
OP Mike Lates 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Denzil:

Huge thanks to everyone for the feedback; generally very positive which wasn't entirely what I was expecting. I'll pass the info on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...