UKC

Lynx, G14 or cyborg clip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 24 Dec 2015

Currently using la sportiva Nepal extreme boots with Grivel G12 crampons
I am looking at getting a more technical crampon, which can be converted to mono or dual which is a good fit on my Nepals
I also want the crampon to have the plastic toe bail and not the wire bail, so I can use also use them with my B2 boots if out walking/mountaineering and the need requires.
Petzl Lynx, Grivel G14 and Bd cyborg clip seem to fit the bill but I do prefer the price and style of the cyborgs
Anyone used these with the plastic toe bails on the Nepals and what was the fit like.
Post edited at 08:19
 HeMa 24 Dec 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

I believe the Lynx is the only one that is easily converted to monos. G14 are the second best and the Cyborg is a PITA.

Of the 3, I'd get the Lynx, as it comes with both step-in and also the basket thing.

Another option to consider would be Austria Alpin SkySteep with the basket as an added extra. I'd also consider the same approach with G14s (Grivel sells a step-in to basket "bail").

For the record, I absolutely love my Darts, except for the fact that the 2nd point configuration (they're not aggressive enough). And I believe this is also true for Lynx's. It's even worse for G14s (which I also own, they're old though and used for drytooling and early season mixed). From what I remember the Cyborgs aren't any better.

Grivel Rambo 4's have a really ice point config, but the pie-cutter is something I'm not keen on (luckily the Grivel Racing bolt-on crampons have the same config, which I happen to also own).

But as stated, I know rock the SkySteep and it performs really well. The only thing I don't like about it is the weight and also how it folds down, when compared to the Darts. But those are the things I'm willing to suffer for the benefits from the points and also the rest.
 GarethSL 24 Dec 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

The cyborgs are nice, but as HeMa says, they are a bitch to convert, requiring you canibalise your anti-ball plates with a hacksaw or buy a second set and canabalise those. Also comes with a bunch of fiddly things, that you will almost certainly have lost by the time you want to convert them!
 cliff shasby 24 Dec 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

The lynx is prob the best crampon on the market right now,they climb as well as ridgid crampons but you can use them for everything, plus the option of being able to move the front points forward and back with the different toe bail options means they will fit more or less any boots you are likely to have.
They are the only two piece crampon ive ever liked for climbing very steep ice.
 dek 24 Dec 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

Do a Google of Lynx fitting Nepal. There's a bit of hassle involved getting a good fit apparently. The US climbing sites all suggest taking the boots into the store to see if you can get a good fit, before deciding?.....I'm tempted too Btw!
 indigo 24 Dec 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

I use G14s in mono config. with Nepal Extremes. I bought some narrow toe bails from Needle Sports and the fit on the Extremes is perfect. Changing points over is pretty straightforward. I keep a sharp set for ice and a blunt set either mono or twin for mixed. Anti ball works fine with both. I also bought the optional front baskets too so pretty versatile all in all. The fact that you can just replace the points is a winner for me. I climb up to WI5 and the crampons are not the limiting factor!
OP andyd1970 24 Dec 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

Thanks guys
I have always fancied the petzl Lynx but I looked a the cyborg and found them to be cheaper and some really good reviews apart from the cutting of the bailers to accommodate the mono points
Will probably have to take my boots to the shops and try them with the crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...