UKC

Any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 24 Dec 2015
I'm looking for a wide angle rope, preferably lace-up, to fit rigid crampons on a 29" wheel. Cam angle not important as long as it's mozzie-proof and comes with a titanium flysheet.
Do you think anywhere will deliver before Christmas?
 Fraser 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

Treadmill mounted or stand-alone?
interdit 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

What voltage?
OP john arran 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Fraser:

> Treadmill mounted or stand-alone?

I was hoping it might not take up too much room on my harness.
In reply to interdit:

> What voltage?

Not sure. Do you think you can get them with variable beam?
interdit 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

Probably, on the bluetooth version, but not if it is ply laminated.

If you can afford it I recommend you get one with locking shims.
In reply to interdit:

That's a shame. The red ones available around here all seem to take AAAs. Will they still be self-equalising?
 Billhook 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

We have such a thing on our bed. Its called a throw. Not sure I recommend it for ventures outside the bedroom, although it can be solar powered.
 Chris Harris 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

Can't get them any more I'm afraid. Thatcher closed the factory down.
 Pbob 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

I think I saw one going on ebay.
 Roberttaylor 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran: There is a version sold by Decathlon for £30 that is just as good imo.
 Timmd 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:
I didn't know they still made things like that due to changes in EU certification rules, or sell them in Europe at least? You might have to buy from the US.
Post edited at 18:33
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Can't get them any more I'm afraid. Thatcher closed the factory down.

Surely you must still be able to get Chinese-made versions, you know the ivory ones with birds' nest insulation?

I'll try ebay.ch
In reply to Timmd:

> I didn't know they still made things like that due to changes in EU certification rules, or sell them in Europe at least? You might have to buy from the US.

Can you still legally buy dangerous thing in the US? Other than guns, obviously.
 Timmd 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:
You can if you get the different parts separately from different places and assemble them yourself, then it slips through customs okay.

Make sure you get the titanium sprockets though, or they can shear and fracture the flange widget.
Post edited at 18:46
 Morty 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

I think you'll have to settle for a Diesel Skoda Octavia.
 Timmd 24 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:
Don't forget about the flange widget.
Post edited at 00:19
 Dell 25 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

Yes you can, in Vimto, but only before they sold out and started playing stadiums.
In reply to john arran:

You're wasting your money if you spend less than two grand. See if your local dealer has anything second hand. If you enjoy it you can always upgrade to carbon fibre laces.
 BusyLizzie 25 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

What a lovely thread!
 Doug 25 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

> Do you think anywhere will deliver before Christmas?

Did it arrive ? hope the assembly instructions were included.
 Ann S 25 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

A friend of mine used to be a scaffolders kneewrencher and I know for certain he has just what you need in his attic, but he's left handed so you would need to use it backwards.
OP john arran 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Ann S:
> A friend of mine used to be a scaffolders kneewrencher and I know for certain he has just what you need in his attic, but he's left handed so you would need to use it backwards.

Backwards wouldn't normally be a problem but I'm almost certain that a left handed scaffolder's kneewrencher version wouldn't be compatible with the flange widget I'm repeatedly being told I need, though I'm not sure why, unless it's for crevasse rescue obviously.

Besides, I only need a wide angle rope, not a fish-eye - one of those would be really hard to find, especially in orange.
Post edited at 14:46
 JJL 25 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

Mine arrived , but it looks like the sprocket will shear because the paint is incompatible. Do you think they will launch a recall? Or should I just main about it on ukc?
 Baron Weasel 26 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

How long until the moderators move this thread to the Winter Cycle Photography Destinations part of the forum?

<Sits back and opens popcorn>
OP john arran 26 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:
Thanks for all your suggestions but I've now realised that I can achieve the same thing with a bit of old accessory cord and a loosely-tied half-hitch.

Sorry Alan if this should have been a Premier Post

Merry Christmas all.
Post edited at 09:31
 jsmcfarland 26 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

I snorted coffee through my nose. Thanks john :<
 deepsoup 26 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:
>... a bit of old accessory cord and a loosely-tied half-hitch.

Nooooo! It has to be a fig-8 or you are going to die!!
In reply to john arran:
> ... with a bit of old accessory cord and a loosely-tied half-hitch.

Surely nothing other than a Zeppelin Loop would be required for optimum performance?

By all accounts they cope with excess hot air equally as well as traditional hydrogen.
Post edited at 09:58
 Mark Haward 27 Dec 2015
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I was using a Zeppelin Loop at my local climbing wall recently and was told it was unacceptable practice
In reply to Mark Haward: Did the small print of their Terms and Conditions include the increasingly common stipulation that knowing more about climbing than the wall staff is strictly forbidden?
 Mark Haward 27 Dec 2015
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I don't think this is needed in small print anymore as, obviously, all staff at climbing walls know far more about climbing than their customers. Only the other day it was pointed out that getting in some training on real cliffs outside to help me prepare for climbing at the wall was ok but to be a better climber I should stick to the wall - I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...