UKC

Martin Boysen - Hanging On

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm enjoying reading this, but something is puzzling me - on page 64 MB recounts that in 1960 (I think) he made "the second ascent of Cave Wall (at Froggatt) and the first lead of Chequers Arete (what is now Chequers Buttress, I assume), Great Slab, and innumerable others."

I don't suppose MB means to suggest that actually Joe B hadn't climbed these a decade before as history now relates, but what does he mean, exactly? WHat we would now call 'first onsight leads', possibly?

jcm
 Pedro50 24 Dec 2015
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

See what you mean but no answer I'm afraid.
 Mark Collins 24 Dec 2015

First free ascent perhaps as opposed to first ascent. Although, I can't imagine there being any aid on Great Slab.
 Mick Ward 24 Dec 2015

Can well imagine him having done the second ascent of Cave Wall - a nasty little route. But the first lead of Great Slab? Well no. And hard to imagine that Great Slab went for nigh on a decade without an onsight (or, at least, a flash). (From the dregs of ageing memory), you can wander up to the crux, stay there for as long as you wish (eternity?) contemplate life, the universe, etc, before committing to one naughty (for the short) little move and then steady to the top or, alternatively, slink back down with tail wedged firmly between legs. Though I'm sure you know all this already.

Mick

Sean Kelly 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:
> Can well imagine him having done the second ascent of Cave Wall - a nasty little route. But the first lead of Great Slab? Well no. And hard to imagine that Great Slab went for nigh on a decade without an onsight (or, at least, a flash). (From the dregs of ageing memory), you can wander up to the crux, stay there for as long as you wish (eternity?) contemplate life, the universe, etc, before committing to one naughty (for the short) little move and then steady to the top or, alternatively, slink back down with tail wedged firmly between legs. Though I'm sure you know all this already.
> Mick

What, in Woollie's plimsoles? As for being unrepeated for a decade, isn't there something about this in Nat's '57 guide?
Post edited at 20:21
 Bulls Crack 24 Dec 2015

on page 64 MB

You can download it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...