UKC

Ice Climbing in South Korea

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 26 Dec 2015
Happy Festive Season everyone!!

Apparently there are some ice climbing (indoor and outdoor) to be done in South Korea, I wonder if anyone has any experience on this??

Many thanks!
 The Grist 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed Userherblai:

I have seen it. Back in 1998 I lived in South Korea for two years. I visited Sorakson national park and saw groups climbing a frozen waterfall. At the time I could only climb about grade 3 Scottish and had no kit with me. If you google ice climbing in South Korea you get a number of hits.

Incidentally the winter in South Korea and the terrain is not dissimilar to Scotland. I did go skiing there a fair bit. It was icy and windy......much like Scotland.

Graham 27 Dec 2015

Alpinist magazine did a really good story on climbing (including ice climbing) in South Korea 2ish years ago. Looks pretty awesome.
 dgbryan 27 Dec 2015
I have climbed in Seoraksan a couple of times ... you get yourself to Sokcho, get a bus to Seorak-dong & stay in one of the slightly grotty hotels, or as close to the park gate as you can manage & stay somewhere pricier & a little weird, like the Kensington Stars hotel. Walk in about an hour following signs for Towang-san or Paekundae (where you could also stay at the hut, if there's room). There are quite a few falls - certainly good for a short weeks stay, but very hit & miss as to conditions - I was there for a week in February & it was warm, wet & I barely made it out of bed. I have had previous trips with no snow & great ice, & others with people getting buried in huge avalanches
There are other spots that also look good - Shilso Pokpo is also in the park, near Osaek-ri, & looks good, & there's a guest house on the road.
But in the light of recent experience I question if I would actually fly there for ice ... different story if you are living or working there & can take advantage of a weather window.
Try the Korea on the Rock website ... Not always current but a few active users.
Damian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...