UKC

Singing Rock Bandits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tarquell 26 Dec 2015
Father Christmas brought me a pair of Bandits. Does anyone know if the ice picks are ok for scottish mixed or would I be better with the dry picks?

Thanks
 ankyo 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Tarquell:

No one used these?
In reply to Tarquell:

One my my climbing partners has happily used these in the Lakes and on The Ben, and loved them. I suppose it would depend on your grade, but on IV's he was just as able as me using Quarks. Checking the website, the dry picks just appear to have a couple of extra nobly bits on them. Similar to other brands I guess?
 angry pirate 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Tarquell:

I've only used mine on pure ice so far (and they've handled beautifully) but the ice picks are t rated so should handle mixed OK.
If they do blunt up too rapidly then the spare picks are stupidly cheap! As mentioned above, the only discernible difference between the ice and dry picks are a few nobbly bits up top, though the dry picks might be a bit thicker.
 TobyA 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Tarquell:
> Does anyone know if the ice picks are ok for scottish mixed or would I be better with the dry picks?

No! Don't even consider it! You'll almost certainly die and may likely cause the death of scores of innocents also by your incorrect pick choice.

Less Daily Mail-esque: until perhaps a decade ago, lots of tools only had one type of pick. Actually snapping picks seems quite hard, you can bend them sometimes, one of my Quarks had for years a slight bend in its pick, even for ice climbing it didn't seem to make any difference. Overall I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure the blades they come with will be great, and if you insist on torquing up some tech 9 knife blade crack, worst case scenario you bend a blade and then buy a new one.
Post edited at 21:33
 ankyo 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Tarquell:

Some good advice there. Thanks guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...