UKC

Aonoch Eagach ridge traverse (or other ideas)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max Clarke 27 Dec 2015
Anybody been up on to the Aonoch Eagach ridge lately? Is there much in the way of 'winteriness' going on up there?

Getting impatient waiting for the white stuff to arrive in the Lakes. Tempted by a Scotland trip next week.

Any other ideas for low grade winter stuff that might be doable next week?
 Misha 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Max Clarke:
Bear in mind the strong winds forecast for the next few days - 100mph gusts on Wednesday, you'd get blown off the ridge! Looking at the MWIS forecast, it's warm on Monday with rain late in the day, cooler on Tuesday, warm and wet on Wednesday and cooler again after that. Heavy rain can strip decent snow cover in a matter of hours, so it depends how much rain there will be. A bit of rain can be a good thing if the snow refreezes quickly afterwards. I suspect it will get stripped back a fair bit but as long as there's some fresh stuff from Thursday, it should be wintery enough. Do it on a nice weather day though as it's a long route and you'd want the views as well.
 peebles boy 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Max Clarke:

Up in Glencoe today, but on the other side of the glen. Plenty snow in places, but completely unconsolidated and sodden wet ground underneath it. No ice forming until you're up above 1000m, and even than was mostly rime rather than runoff. The snow that fell yesterday will likely melt tomo given the 4-8degree summit temps and rain. Then it goes batshit windy after that. Winter's a wee while away yet I would say....!
OP Max Clarke 27 Dec 2015
In reply to all:

Thanks very much for the replies folks.

Pretty much what I was expecting, but as a complete winter punter, thought it was worth checking with the font of knowledge that is ukc.

More patience required!

Merry Christmas.
 Sophie G. 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Max Clarke:
The weather's really not playing ball at the moment. Your best chance is to have plenty of Plan Bs, and be prepared to do something a wee bit unconventional. Bring the mountain bike, bring the kayak, bring Trivial Pursuit... Your best chance of winter climbing at the moment is to hit a weather-window and find some mixed.

One way to find ice, mind you, is to try places like Gardyloo where last year's ice is still hanging in underneath this year's snowfall. I believe someone's already done Gardyloo this autumn. But that's a long wade up the hill to get to it. And depending on the wind and the build-up, it could be a threatened aspect; it often is.

Oh, and I'd agree with Misha that ridges are not the place to be in the next few days. There is limited pleasure to be had in traversing the Aonach Eagach when the wind is trying to kill you. Find a nice east-facing corrie that the wind goes over the top of.
Post edited at 13:11
 Jasonic 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Max Clarke:

This is good, sheltered from the westerlies although best combined with the summit for a round trip. Tower is rather tricky taken direct!

North Buttress - East Ridge (II/III)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...