UKC

Nantlle Ridge the "wrong way"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CLYoung 27 Dec 2015
Walking the Nantlle Ridge always seems to be described East to West - is there a reason for this? Better views, easier scrambling? Am considering doing it the other way in the summer, ending up at Rhyd Ddu, but am not sure if we'd be missing out on something.
 wilkesley 27 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:

The reason most people do it E to W is that you can park in Rhyd Ddu. There is parking at the end of the farm track that leads up to Cwm Silyn if you want to do it the other way. Many people doing it E to W drop off the ridge near to Cwm Silyn and follow forestry tracks back to Rhyd Ddu. Of course the best way is to to the whole ridge there and back, but it's a long day.
In reply to CLYoung:

I did it west to east, many years ago, starting with the scramble up Craig Cwm Silyn. Very nice too, though you need a car at each end.

T.
llechwedd 27 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:

If you leave a pushbike at Llyn Dywarchen, it's a downhill ride most of the way back to a vehicle at Nantlle.
Take your pick otherwise on E-W/W-E. Depends if you like a sea or mountain backdrop to the view beyond the ridge ( if you get to see beyond the ridge, that is!).
Not something I've done, but depending on your fitness level, you might decide to walk it out and back....
OP CLYoung 27 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:

Thanks both. We're going to be staying at Rhyd Ddu and I gather there is a taxi service that can get you back there at the end but I'd rather have the taxi first and walk back. We won't have two cars available. I think doing the entire ridge there and back might be pushing it with my two sons (who'll be 13 and 10 then, used to hill walking but not scrambling).
OP CLYoung 27 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Thanks - I hadn't seen your reply when I posted my previous thanks.

Unfortunately one member of our party can't ride a bike (and doesn't want to) so that option is out. It sounds like it's just about the parking rather than anything intrinsic to the walk. Of course all this depends on us getting a week with two good days weatherwise as the first good day will be taken up walking up and down Snowdon.
 pog100 27 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:

it doesn't need the whole party to ride, just the driver to retrieve the car?
OP CLYoung 27 Dec 2015
In reply to pog100:

That's a point. Actually, given my husband is into ultra marathons and the like, forget the bike, he can run it! Leaving the rest of us to descend at a leisurely pace.
llechwedd 27 Dec 2015
In reply to pog100:

> it doesn't need the whole party to ride, just the driver to retrieve the car?

Did the return on a tandem once. The person on the back has never been on one since...
 Bulls Crack 28 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:

Only done it once but brilliant E to W via Original Route
 wilkesley 28 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:
Having done both the double traverse and the E to W and returning via forestry tracks, the latter is easier. Not sure why though, probably less ascent. With children that age I think that doing the ridge one way will probably be enough for them. In which case I would suggest driving to Cwm Silyn to start, so you can relax while he runs back for the car!

The start of the minor road up to Cwm Silyn is quite hard to find. There used to be a sign for a quarry at the end of the road (see Paul Williams rock climbing guide for details), but the last time I went that way it had disappeared! Even though I had been there several times before, I had to ask a local.
Post edited at 21:16
OP CLYoung 29 Dec 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

Thanks, that's helpful.
 Howard J 29 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:

It's a while since I last did this, but as I recall the scrambling is a bit more interesting going E-W but going W-E the views towards Snowdon are better. Unless you reverse the ridge or drop down to Cwm Pennant (either of which can make quite a big day) you'll need some way of getting back to your starting point, which many people means leaving a car at either end. There is limited parking at the end of the road leading to Cwm Silyn but as someone has pointed out this isn't easy to find.
 Babika 29 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:

I've only done it the wrong way - twice.

The only alarming aspect about leaving a car at the other end was the amount of smashed glass on the ground.....it didn't inspire us with confidence but no problems encountered.
OP CLYoung 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Howard J:

Thanks. The more I think about the practicalities, given we'll only have one car and the boys are the age they are, the more I think this isn't the trip to be doing the whole ridge. I don't want to put them off completely.
OP CLYoung 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Babika:

I bet it didn't! Glad you had no problems.
 Roadrunner5 31 Dec 2015
In reply to CLYoung:

It's fine that way, just different views..
In reply to CLYoung:

I'd say don't worry too much about the logistics, provided you pick a good weather day the worst that is likely to go wrong with logistics is having to walk a bit down the road until you find someone at home so you can re-book the taxi (might cost a bit but as a family you are just as likely to get offered tea and cakes and a free ride back to your accommodation).

As long as the boys are capable of walking the distance then they will have an adventure on one of the best non-scrambling ridges in Snowdonia.

I'd always go for an E to W traverse, especially with people who need 'confidence building', I have taken friends this way on numerous occasions to help them become more used to steep ground. The initial ascent can look quite intimidating to those who are not used to scrambling (once up close it is easy). I'd be tempted to take the boys up that way and try to relate the experience to something that matters to them, this could be a subject that they struggle with at school or just how to ask the cute girl for a date - just make sure they still have an enjoyable adventure if you choose to use the day to 'educate' them.
OP CLYoung 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Thanks, that's helpful advice. I think it's going to come down to a combination of our fitness and the weather. Our first goal will be Snowdon, so if we only get one decent day that will be it.

I agree with you - I want to help them have adventures, I don't want to put them off. Probably the longest day we've done with them so far was around 19km with 1,050m of ascent in the Fforest Fawr range back in October. But that wasn't a day or two after climbing Snowdon and didn't involve scrambling, so I'm not sure it's comparable.
In reply to CLYoung:

Don't forget that a shortish trip up Y Garn and back can be a short adventurous trip, even in 'non decent days (although as always be careful if the winds are strong).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...