UKC

Cartilage Replacement In (North Of?) England?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 27 Dec 2015

My brother has at the age of 47 found he has some wear taking place in his left knee, with some localised pain and swelling, and isn't so chuffed about it to put it mildly, having gone to the docs and found he has osteoarthritis in it.
He's since checked his running and football shoes and found the insoles are pretty worn, and is wondering if this didn't help the state of his knee.

Has anybody gone privately to have cartilage repair/replacement in and around Sheffield/Yorkshire and found somebody they'd highly recommend?

He's later moving to Herefordshire, but that's no biggie really when it comes to travelling to have his knee seen to.

Edit: Thinking about it, anywhere in England which is good at this kind of thing could be worth knowing about, since we only get one of each knee.

Many thanks.
Tim
Post edited at 21:44
 Dave the Rave 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

If it's the hyaline cartilage( shiny stuff on the ends of bones), there is some evidence for micro fracture as a repair, or autologous cartilage implant. Bobic at Chester is a good knee orthopod.
If it's meniscal repair( sewing of the rubbery cartilage in the knee joint) he's too old for it to be effective.
OP Timmd 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
Thanks, and oh dear, respectively. I'll pass on the info and see if he can find out which he's done when he goes back to see the doc again next Wednesday.

Post edited at 22:04
andymac 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

What doesn't help his knee is running.

His knee swelling is caused by impact and the knee no longer having the shock absorbers required.

I have a torn meniscus ,and cartilage damage ( from my previous career as a crack Scotch Midfield general)

When I (like a fecking idiot) come hurtling down a mountain (particularly Ben Nevis's satanic red steps ) I pay the price.

Your friend shall have to glide ,gracefully, into middle age ,and slow down a bit.
OP Timmd 27 Dec 2015
In reply to andymac:

Quite glad I've not run very much since I was a kid now compared to cycling.
 phil kujawa 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Hi
I posted a question "knee braces for osteoarthritis" it's on page 3 in the 'gear' section got lots of good tips, I have also started to use kinetic tape as recommended by my physio on my affected knee with good affect, but no more ultra running just 2/3 short runs a week.
 arch 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

If he's off to Herefordshire, Droitwich knee clinic is the place to check out. Very popular with injured footballers. I was in there when a certain Mr R Fowler ex of Liverpool was being treated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...