UKC

Meru

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 27 Dec 2015

I watched this last night and thought it was ok. It followed the usual climbing film lines of background story, climbing scenes, scenes in the Portaledge, third party perpective, a little bit of tragedy and human story. Some of the cinematography was stunning and overall it was an entertaining piece which might leave many mainstream Alpinists with a little envy and many of the non-climbing public in a state of confusion about the motive.

What I did find a little odd though was the fact that all three of them smoked at altitude. This is not a critisism, just an observation that this might be a little unusual in today's climbing scene?
Gone for good 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed User:

A good point about smoking. I'm reading into the silence (again ) and all the Himalayan climbers seemed to puff their way up Everest at the time. George Finch swore by the beneficial effects of smoking cigarettes at altitude and by all accounts he was a brilliant scientist much involved in the development of the oxygen sets. As for me, I went through 3 or 4 packets of Marlboro lights on my way up Kilimanjaro although I didn't light up at the top. I think I forgot my lighter!
Removed User 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Gone for good:

Well, I wrote this some years ago:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=168

so I get it (although I haven't smoked for about 20 years) but it still seems a little odd, especially in an oxygen deficient environment.
Gone for good 28 Dec 2015

I agree, it is odd especially when someone like Conrad Anker is effectively an athlete who makes his living from climbing related activities. Strangely smoking never really affected me in the hills although I used to make the effort to stop for 4 weeks before going to the Alps only to start again as soon as I got back. I have now stopped thanks to e cigarettes and a planned trip to the Himalaya provided the motivation as well as general health and financial considerations.
Removed User 28 Dec 2015

One thing that I wasn't sure about was whether the smoking was a very occasional thing or whether it was a 20 a day habit. The film obviously didn't dwell on it.

I got the sense that it was an occassional thing, and I can relate to that, but it would also make it a little more puzzling.
Gone for good 28 Dec 2015

Where did you see the film?
Was it on TV or DVD?
Removed User 28 Dec 2015

Over here it is available on cable. Not sure what availability there is in the UK?
 MtnGeekUK 28 Dec 2015

Here in the UK - none.

Have asked on social media when it might be available here - reply was along the lines of "we're working hard with international partners to make this available in early 2016"*

*not an exact quote, but the gist is the same!
Removed User 28 Dec 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Ahhh. ok. I thought you guys had had the chance to see it. I definitely thing it is worth the watch and perhaps you'll be better placed to comment on my observations when you can.
 due 28 Dec 2015

In the shorter version that was on a Reel Rock DVD a few years ago it says they share a cigarette to stave off hunger
Removed User 28 Dec 2015
In reply to due:

Hmmmm. So are you suggesting they carry roll up papers and tobacco just on the off chance they run out of food?
 ben b 28 Dec 2015

I saw it back in July (I think) as part of a local film festival. Interestingly enough, with a mate who is a neurologist - so we had a good yarn about the medical stuff. Impressive effort for sure. Well worth seeing.

It's been a good year (or two) for mountain fims with Sherpa, Meru, Last Great Climb etc on the big screen locally.

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...