UKC

Replacing my faithful Buffalo jacket....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abcdef 28 Dec 2015
After many years of faithful use I am looking to get something to replace my Buffalo mountain shirt and hood, but am not overly familiar with any alternatives...

I can see the Rab Vapor Rise (and also the alpine lite version). Are these similar to a Buffalo in terms of warmth, wind/rain resistance? One possible drawback to this jacket is that it looks relatively short in the body - is that correct?

Anyone recommend anything similar? A pullover type would probably be my preference, decent length, close fitting for wearing under other things.
 Run_Ross_Run 28 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

Check out the montane extreme range https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothing/synthetic

I've got the jacket and had the smock and its really good.

Never had a Buffalo but i 'think' its along the same sort of lines.

Darren.

OP abcdef 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

have seen an extreme smock in the flesh, and it was basically an overly thick and bulky buffalo
 Andy Hardy 28 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

Just get another buffalo?
 wookie667 28 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

Rab vapour rise Guide would be the closest i could think of. More modern alternative be a breathable synthetic fill jacket made of Polartec alpha like a Rab Strata Guide Jacket.
 Pbob 28 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

If you happen to be XXL I'm looking to sell my montane extreme smock in green/black with hood. Not seen much use I just need a size smaller.
 Run_Ross_Run 28 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

> have seen an extreme smock in the flesh, and it was basically an overly thick and bulky buffalo

How old was it? Only reason I ask is that they have thinned out a lot since I had the smock. The jacket is a lot thinner. Had it about 3 years. I think the smock was purchased in 09(ish).
 Andy Cloquet 28 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

I would have a look at another Buffalo but I also have a Rab pile/pertex combination and it too is superb.
OP abcdef 30 Dec 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

was pretty recent. the montane seems more like an outer layer to me, but i want something which can be an outer layer in the cold while walking in the mountains, but can be a mid-layer under a paramo/shell when winter climbing. something the buffalo performed very well.

maybe a new buffalo would be an idea, but they are pretty expensive (never any bargains to be found) and quite bulky.

any views on whether the rab vapor rise or alpine/lite version are a good replacement for me?
 TobyA 30 Dec 2015
In reply to wookie667:

> More modern alternative be a breathable synthetic fill jacket made of Polartec alpha like a Rab Strata Guide Jacket.

Having reviewed a Marmot Alpha filled jacket I really don't think it is an alternative to Buffalo.
 TobyA 30 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

I used the full Buffalo system for years back in the 90s for Scottish winter - at the time it was by far the cheapest system of clothing for that purpose! I think materials and cut of more traditional "layering" systems have improved significantly since then plus prices have in some ways come down particularly if you are happy to buy from Decathlon. A hooded fleece of some form and a superlight windshell sort of does what a Buffalo does plus being two items is a bit more flexible in some ways. If you use a shell anyway for winter climbing then a good modern fleece would probably be about as warm as a buffalo anyway under it.
 Run_Ross_Run 30 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

> any views on whether the rab vapor rise or alpine/lite version are a good replacement for me?

I have the vapour rise lite in both smock and jackets and its the dogs. I use them for running though and it would be too cold for layering in winter. I did have the original 'heavier weight' vapour rise smock that i used for winter climbing in Scotland a few years back and it was really warm. Had a base layer under and supplemented the warmth with a synth belay vest. When it rained i just chucked the waterproof over the top (minus the vest).

Don't discount the rab strata range http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/polartec-alpha I have the vest and it very good, was thinking of getting the jacket.

I find the vapour rise (lite) concept to be really good and it fits my needs ideally. Have worn just a thin top and the VR smock on sub zero runs.

Just check the sizing/fit though as it can be a bit funny.
 Mord 04 Jan 2016
In reply to abcdef:

I'd just get another Buffalo. If it hasn't let you down before, it won't do it again. Still the best imho.
 Bootrock 05 Jan 2016
In reply to abcdef:

Buffalo are fantastic, I haven't owned one myself but borrowed a mates for a few weeks, and it was outstanding.

I own a Snugpak, Pile Shirt had it for years and its been with me through a lot, from the Desert to the Arctic. Its been ripped, and I have sewn it up, battered, used and abused and I refuse to throw it out. its relegated to dog walking duties now. A nice easy retirement for it.

Montane Extreme Smock, is definitely worth a look aswell. Absolutely cracking bit of kit. I got it to replace my Snugpak a couple of years back.

I would recommend the Montane over the Snugpak. The Montane is a touch more expensive but you can sometimes find it on special offers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...