UKC

My Light up climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JRT 28 Dec 2015
Hi Everyone.

I don't know if anyone remembers seeing my post about a year ago when i was looking for ideas for my final year uni project. I have now finished my course and decided to post thanking people for there help and show you what i came up with in the end.

In the end i came up with colour changing climbing holds. You could use them for training and games. The idea is that you would have an smart phone application to change the colours of each hold. For example you could set your own route and use the app to challenge a friend to complete your route. Or if a route that the centre has set is to easy you could turn off a few holds to make it more challenging. Or use a traffic light system where green means move onto amber means stay on and red means move off of for a training exercise. Or what ever you can think of.

Here is a link to a video showing them running a simple loop on a display wall to give a better idea of what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXMQM_1fcRYv=QXMQM_1fcRY

If anyone wants more information feel free to email me at Jamie.taylor101@icloud.com or message me on this.

Once again thanks to the people that commented on my old post.
 Mr Trebus 28 Dec 2015
In reply to JRT:

That is pretty cool. Out of interest, how do they look when chalked up, is it still obvious the colour?

Can I also request some kind of sensor to attach to my boots that turns a foothold to the colour I am on when I am scrambling to find a placement?
JRT 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

yh i can add the "it was always there" feature. should be fine when chalked up as the chalk is white it would probably need to be quite thick before it started blocking the colour. It would be cool to put it on a proper wall and get some feedback and test for things like that if am am going to take it further and do another version on them.
 Richard Wilson 28 Dec 2015
I am sure that I have already seen this or a very similar idea before where it was installed in a house as part of the main wall.
JRT 28 Dec 2015
In reply to Richard Wilson:

Yeah I've seen a few DIY ones. I'm not saying I've invited this amazing idea but i have from what I've seen mine is design with commercial viability in mind where as others are DIY home stuff.
 Brass Nipples 28 Dec 2015
In reply to JRT:
You could also have the holds transmit the forces exerted to the smartphone app or a server at the wall and be used as a post climb analysis of positioning and weight distribution etc.
Post edited at 22:20
 Richard Wilson 28 Dec 2015
In reply to JRT:
> Yeah I've seen a few DIY ones. I'm not saying I've invited this amazing idea but i have from what I've seen mine is design with commercial viability in mind where as others are DIY home stuff.

No this was a professional install.

Multi colours, complete with computer control system to make routes & work outs ect.

When it was off it did not even look like a climbing wall.

If I remember right it was more like a natural stone wall thing than plastic holds.

I'll try & google it but it was about 2 or 3 years ago I think.

Edit to add

There is already a US patent

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US20100004098

This one uses a projector for a similar experience.

Easier to retro fit to a climbing centre.

youtube.com/watch?v=kg2uRGf_04g&
Post edited at 22:49
 Wsdconst 29 Dec 2015
In reply to JRT:

Just wanted to say I think this is a fantastic idea,especially for training walls which have a lot of holds,it would save so much time compared to taping or trying to remember the problem,have you thought about designing a home training wall ?maybe just the electronic part or even the whole thing sold in kit form. You could be onto something with this,the more I think about it, the more things I come up with to use it for.well done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...