UKC

Lemmy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 29 Dec 2015

He looked ill at glasto but I'm pleased he kept on rocking until the end.

No class, hmmmm. RIP.
Post edited at 01:18
Removed User 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

No way! I'll have to check the news. RIP my man.
 john_mx 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

R.i.p
 climber34neil 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Surely not! Reunited with Phil Taylor RIP
Clauso 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Probably his finest hour... Man:

youtube.com/watch?v=co9yv2NjyWs&
In reply to Skyfall:

Forget M Head.
Hawkwind were the b_ll_cks.
Hurry on Sundown.
RIP Lem.
DC
In reply to Skyfall:

"Very basic music - loud, fast, city, raucous, arrogant, paranoid, speed-freak rock n roll. It will be so loud that if we move in next door to you, your lawn will die."

RIP Lemmy.
 Siward 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

“Death is an inevitability, isn't it? You become more aware of that when you get to my age. I don't worry about it. I'm ready for it. When I go, I want to go doing what I do best. If I died tomorrow, I couldn't complain. It's been good.”

Words from the man himself...
 abr1966 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Siward:

Rip....will be playing it loud on the way to work shortly and having a beer tonight..
 sbc_10 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Oh no..... I thought he was indestructible...... a Captain Scarlet of the Heavy metal scene....

"You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby,
I don't wanna live for ever......"

R.I.P.....
 Timmd 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:
What a full he had, it's great that the last album they released did so well too.

Rest In Peace Lemmy.
Post edited at 08:41
In reply to Skyfall:

Shame. But kind of overdue.

And he was an unexpected national treasure.

T.
 Timmd 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Clauso:
> Probably his finest hour... Man:

Perhaps his finest hour was walking up to a guy with a gun who was trying to drag a girl into a van when he was in his 50's, and taking it off him and telling him to f*ck off. He was genial behind the image, but that's courage which matched it.

http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2002/nov/10/features.magazine17
Post edited at 09:04
Removed User 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Saw Motorhead a few times from 79 to 82. English rock distilled. Hawkwind had their best period with him. I always liked his genial manner and good humour behind the badass image.

Legend.

RIP.
 Jacob Ram 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Hawkwind were the dogs nuts , but Lemmy joined in 72, Hurry on Sundown was 70

He shined in this

youtube.com/watch?v=yao_T2adl14&
OP Skyfall 29 Dec 2015

I saw Motorhead at arguably around the time of their peak at the Hammy in 1980/1'ish. I nearly got run over leaving the gig as my senses had been pulverised and I couldn't hear the cars. Great times.
Post edited at 12:13
OP Skyfall 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed User:

I remember a radio interview on Vance's Friday Night Rockshow with both Lemmy and Geddy Lee of Rush. Lemmy had a mild go at Lee accusing them of not really being a heavy rock band or whatever, to which Lee responded by saying "we never said we were". It was quite funny hearing an incredibly gruff Lemmy and the almost falsetto Lee having a handbags at dawn moment. Both great bands.
 Chris Harris 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Ladies & gentlemen, please be upstanding for 2 minute & 50 seconds of loud noise.

youtube.com/watch?v=HpwUTJsI3xI&
Columbia753 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Radio 2 played 3 tracks by Motorhead in 30 mins. Cool, never thought I would hear that in middle of the day.

Was he a rebel? Thought highly of it seems by the music world.
 Timmd 29 Dec 2015
In reply to thewho:
> Radio 2 played 3 tracks by Motorhead in 30 mins. Cool, never thought I would hear that in middle of the day.

> Was he a rebel? Thought highly of it seems by the music world.

He did things in exactly the way he wanted to, and often said that's why he hadn't made shed loads of money. I think he was one of the very few people who lived his life on his own terms and thought people could f*ck off if they didn't like it, and as good as told them as much.

The distinction between a rebel and an authentic person seems like it may be a blurred one. Good old Lemmy.

Post edited at 14:55
Columbia753 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Yeah, seems every one thought he was a solid bloke. In the world of being so pc he was a die hard 'Ill say what I think' and that's fair enough.

He said Motorhead was a rock n roll band not heavy metal. No doubt they will be played alot now as he's gone.

He stopped drinking whisky under doctors orders but moved onto vodka. He's like Sinatra he did it he's way.
 Timmd 29 Dec 2015
In reply to thewho:
He said what he thought, but his world view included all of humanity pretty much, in how he didn't seem to dislike much other than religion and war and 'fat bastard businessmen'. He found it strange that certain words could cause such offence, but it doesn't seem like he was much of a bigot. He ended up telling his fans to buy the albums separately than to pay through the nose in buying a 'complete Motorhead' for a lot more money.

Not that I'm going to idolise the bloke now he's gone.

Edit number 2. I'm glad he only knew he was ill for two days before he died. He didn't seem to see life holding much for him beyond touring and playing, whenever he was asked what he'd do if he couldn't do it anymore he always seemed to say he'd do it for as long as he could.

That's probably the kind of end a lot of us would like for ourselves.
Post edited at 15:45
 toad 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:
I used to work with a very nice lady volunteer who in a moment of unguarded bonhomie let slip that she'd slept with Mr kilminster. I was always a little bit in awe of her after that.
 Timmd 29 Dec 2015
In reply to toad:
I think I would have been, in a 'Coo at that' kind of way.
Post edited at 15:48
 Dave Garnett 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm glad he only knew he was ill for two days before he died. He didn't seem to see life holding much for him beyond touring and playing, whenever he was asked what he'd do if he couldn't do it anymore he always seemed to say he'd do it for as long as he could.

I had to suppress a dark smile when I heard that he was killed by "an extremely aggressive tumour"

It must have been, nothing else would have managed it.

In reply to Skyfall:

I don't think it left any animosity; Geddy posted a tribute on Rush's Facebook page.
 Timmd 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:
It's amazing he lived for so long. I can't quite believe he was advised against a blood transfusion (he thought it might help to detoxify him) because of how different to normal blood his own had become from his lifestyle.

Post edited at 17:24
 nathan79 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

A sad headline to read this morning, didn't actually believe it at first, but 70 was a fine innings given the way he lived his life.

Managed to see Mötorhead 3 times in the past 3 or 4 years, likely not at his or their best but I thoroughly enjoyed every one of those sets and didn't go home disappointed.
OP Skyfall 29 Dec 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I don't think it left any animosity; Geddy posted a tribute on Rush's Facebook page.

I didn't think it would have but thanks for the tip off.
 fmck 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Sacked from Hawkwind for drug taking = Legend.

Ace of spades was the first single (12" Christmas special) I bought. Traced the symbol onto my brown paper for my jotter at school and caused riot. Teacher told me to remove but it wasn't on the blue jotter only my cover so everyone protested.
 Big Ger 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Was lucky enough to see him with Hawkwind and Motorhead's classic line up. (Lemmy, Philthy, Fast Eddie.)

Losing both him and Philthy diminishes the world of Rock n Roll.
OP Skyfall 29 Dec 2015
i like to think of it as a bit if a golden era; I was fortunate enough to see the likes of Motorhead, AC DC, Rush in their prime in the early early 80's.

Also Wham; I was forced...
 sbc_10 30 Dec 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

Never saw or heard Lemmy live, apart from the reverberations shaking the walls of a subway in Bradford city centre as I walked through. Motorhead were playing St Georges Hall at the time, "Bomber" tour I think...... anyway....would have liked to have been present at this gig, Lemmy and the MC5 at the 100 Club. Give it some loud...!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=bUkNcimCo3k&
cb294 02 Jan 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

Amazed he lived that long! Met him backstage 1985ish when accompanying a friend whose band were opening for Motorhead on their German tour. Offered us drinks before the gig, and we had to stop him opening a bottle of Whisky per person....

CB
 Timmd 02 Jan 2016
In reply to cb294:

He gave another musician alcohol poisoning by doing that, they met up to chat about Lemmy's side project which was more rock and roll, and he matched Lemmy's drinking pace after he'd opened him a bottle, and had to take himself to hospital the next day because he didn't feel right.

This is a nice tribute by Ozzy Osbourne.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ozzy-osbourne-remembers-lemmy-he-was...
 sbc_10 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

Gone but maybe not forgetten...... there is a petition going around to name a new super heavy metal element after him .... Lemmium....!!!....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-professor-back...

What a bomber idea .....
 Big Ger 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

Webcasting his funeral here; youtube.com/watch?v=qSAXVdIj6jY&
 Andy Hardy 07 Jan 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

Surely we could get the met office to name a storm after him...?
 sbc_10 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Here's a strange but fitting tribute from..... a Finnish Dairy Comapny !!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=gl3_VPOAFBs&

...I guess it's an outtake.... but kinda hoping it isn't......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...