UKC

REVIEW: Ocún Dominator Bouldering Mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 30 Dec 2015
Ocún Dominator bouldering mat review, 5 kbIf we had to sum this up in one word... it's BIG!

The basic design follows the traditional centre-fold mat design but it brings a few new things to the table other than it's sheer size...

Read more

simes303 30 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

£225 for a mat? Jesus.
 Jackwd 30 Dec 2015
In reply to simes303:

Love mine, and got it much cheaper. £130 from a shop.
DanGreb 05 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

One of the best without a doubt.
In reply to UKC Gear:

Had a fondle in Outisde the other day. Can't say I was that impressed.

My main concern is the zips, the look very weak and I would be worried that within a year you'd probably break them (with regular use)

Also the size! yes it has depth but surface area is very average. Similar to a DMM Highball or WC Big Air. Maybe I'm spoilt with a Moon Saturn but when I look down I like seeing a huge pad! As I mentioned it has impressive depth and I can imagine a bad fall onto it would be absorbed well to the point of comfort.

It is very bulky though so personally if you where carrying a few pads this would be and irritant.
 andrewmc 08 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

I think they really missed a trick not making it possible to completely unzip the two halves (all you need is a second zippull, sleeping bag style!).

And I believe there may be a reason they look and feel a lot like the DMM highball mats... :P
 Si dH 08 Jan 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

The dominator is nothing like a highball. It's the next one down in Ocun's range (moonwalk) that is like a highball.

A friend has one of these that I've used quite a lot. It's very good, but I would sau biggest problem is that because its thicker than usually and very firm, you have to be very careful about making sure you have a flatish landing where it butts against another pad.

It's a completely different beast from a Saturn.

remus Global Crag Moderator 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I've had one for a couple of months (of fairly heavy use) and zip seems to be holding up well so far.

Personally I don't find the size an issue. I prefer having a smaller area of mat thats going to better absorb a fall than a larger area of marrt that is more likely to bottom out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...