UKC

Where to rent bouldering pads for Bowles Rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jefflau 30 Dec 2015
Hi guys,

I'm going on a day trip to Bowles Rock on NYE and I'm looking to rent a couple of bouldering pads out for the trip. I know I can get them at the Arch (I'm looking into the details), but I wondered if there were any climbing gyms I could rent them on the drive down from South London (I live in Morden) or if anyone knows if any individual rents them out near Bowles.

Thanks,

Jeff
 Oceanrower 30 Dec 2015
In reply to jefflau:

Good luck with that. Have you looked at the forecast?
 silhouette 30 Dec 2015
In reply to jefflau:

Are you sure this is a responsible thing to do? Have you not heard about the Southern Sandstone Code of Practice? I gather that when the rock is wet it can be more easily damaged; and even though the sun may be shining tomorrow, the rock will be sodden.

If you get up very very early indeed you might manage a few hours in the eastern peak or Portland in the sun before the rain starts p***ing down.
 Dell 30 Dec 2015
In reply to jefflau:

White Spider in Surbiton, or Craggy Island in Carshalton/Oaks Park. Stay dry!
jefflau 30 Dec 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

Seems to forecast has changed since I checked it a couple days ago. I won't be going tomorrow, but the question still stands for sometime after new year if I find a dry day
 deacondeacon 30 Dec 2015
In reply to jefflau:

Hi mate, southern sandstone is pretty much a right off in winter. Unless you get a week or two of dry weather the rock will be damp and fragile. It's a very delicate sandstone and gets trashed if the rock is at all damp (even if it looks dry).
I lived just round the corner from Morden for about six years so know it's a crap place for climbing but you can get to the Peak District in 2.5 hours, especially if you're travelling early in the morning. That's only an hour further than southern sandstone. It has quick drying rock, better climbing, and you won't get lynched for trashing the place.

I loved Southern Sandstone on a nice summers evening but it really isn't the place to be in January after the wet winter we've been enduring.
Hope you get out somewhere
Deacon
jefflau 30 Dec 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

Thanks for the detailed response. I was planning to go to Stanage for a few days, but seemed like it was raining from 1-4 jan, the days i was planning to go, so opted for somewhere closer that I could go for a day trip. I heard grit dries fast, but didn't really want to be waiting around there waiting for it to dry if it does end up being like that. I live on the 8th so doesn't seem like there's much time to play with
 balmybaldwin 31 Dec 2015
In reply to jefflau:
Best bet for a day trip this time of year is portland for sport/bouldering, or for trad Swanage or alternatively avon gorge both 2-3hrs from London (I take it thats where you are based?)
Post edited at 01:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...