UKC

Climbing insurance USA - alternatives to BMC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Any recommendations for USA rock climbing insurance (travelling from the UK).

Checked the BMC insurance which was £115 (I think) for 1 week (9 days) - crazy!

Not sure whats happened to BMC, guess they ramped up prices to pay for their ever increasing costs..
 Robert Durran 01 Jan 2016
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Have a look at Sports Cover Direct: https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/

I've recently used it for a long trip to the USA (the BMC don't cover more than 45 days). Similar cover to BMC and cheaper. Can't say how good they would be if anything nasty actually happened though!
 HeMa 01 Jan 2016

Austrian Alpine Club might also work, unless you're on a longer trip.
 pneame 01 Jan 2016
The big issue is to make sure you have medical coverage - even something annoying but trivial, such as a fracture, will set you back many thousands of £. On Supertopo some time ago there was thread about the cost of being bitten by a snake if you are uninsured. Figures around $100,000 seem to be the ballpark....
----
so £115 for a week seems reasonable. I pay considerably more than this for medical insurance. But I'm old.
Post edited at 13:39
 Andy Chubb 01 Jan 2016

I used Snowcard.co.uk for a 14 day trip to Tuolumne/Yosemite last year. £143.58, so about the same as BMC. This gave me pretty comprehensive cover including up to $10 mill medical and rescue expenses. Of course it was a complete waste of money as I didn't make a claim but as pneame says, medical costs could completely ruin you.
 auld al 02 Jan 2016
I used true traveller - just select their adventure pack https://www.truetraveller.com/
they get a good review on trust pilot
came in about £90 for two weeks (was in red rocks)
Post edited at 03:57
 damowilk 02 Jan 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Do NOT use Austrian Alpine Club insurance for the US, the e10000 cover won't get you far.
 philhilo 02 Jan 2016

We were in the US for a month last year and did some research on insurance. Yes we balked at the BMC and looked at others, Snowcard - more expensive, Austrian Alpine - that old chestnut - how much cover and when in an emergency how is your Austrian? Heard horrific tales. How much cover do you need - well I heard a reliable fee of £15k to move someone from the bottom of El Cap to the hospital for a sprained ankle......you need lots. After recommendations from the likes of Andy Kirkpatrick we went with the BMC, yup nearly £300 but one less thing to worry about when up on the Big Stone.
In reply to philhilo:

Thanks for the reply's everyone.
 Ollie B 02 Jan 2016

STA Travel is quite competitive.
 ianstevens 02 Jan 2016
In reply to philhilo:
> when in an emergency how is your Austrian?

The fact they speak German in Austria could be the beginning of your issues...

AAC are great. Just not where you need full health insurance - that's why other plans are substantially more expensive!
Post edited at 12:24
 philhilo 05 Jan 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Yep heard the same issues - no English speakers - not good when you are bust up and a bit stressed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...