UKC

Quality, but less frequented E1 recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tmawer 01 Jan 2016
New Year and thinking of some aims for the year. Looking for a few less frequented routes in The Lakes, Wales and the Peak to look forward to over the next few months. Examples of the kind of routes I'm thinking of but have done would be Red Dwarf on Nab Crag,, Red Groove on Pavey, Pyrderi at Tremadoc and Hydro on Craig Y Don. Any suggestions of ones you've enjoyed?
 Smelly Fox 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

Wilfa Corner (HVS 5a)

Only gets HVS in the guide, but E1 is fairer. One of the best short sea cliff routes I've done.
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Sounds great...thanks!
 Yanis Nayu 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

There's something Pebble Slab!at Frogatt I think it is, that gets solid E1.
 spenser 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:
Death Wish (E1 5b) - Reasonably safe, my first E1 in Northumberland so relatively low in the grade I think. While you're there I'd suggest trying Ridsdale Wall (E1 5b), I got a bit lost and fell off, gear's good.
M.I.L. Arete (E1 5b) - Bold but I loved it, the lack of gear probably didn't bother me too much because my belayer was very hungover when I led it so probably wouldn't have caught a big whipper! From what I remember the moves aren't too hard for 5b, just next to very doubtful gear a long way from anything decent. Once you've done this you may as well do Razorback (HVS 5a) which is technically harder but has good gear where it matters.
Both pretty decent routes from what I remember.
If you want a good route in an esoteric area try Bloody Crack (E1 5b), plenty of other stuff to keep an E1 leader occupied around that area too. The reputation the area has for looseness is unfounded.
 deepsoup 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:
If you're looking for 'less frequented' Peak grit, it could be time for a visit to Agden Rocher. There's a clutch of quality E1's there, I'll stick my neck out a bit and say Pollux (E1 5b) is the best of the bunch.

When you're done for the day, have a cheeky pint in the Nag's Head - you won't find a pub as good as that in Hathersage!
Removed User 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:
A shout out for Ocean Wall at Standing Stones, and Ricohet Wall (soft) at Shooter's Nab for Peak grit E1 of the highest quality.
Post edited at 20:09
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to jezb1:

On the list, thanks.
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to spenser:

Done the Northumberland ones......like the look of Bloody Crack as haven't climbed there, Cheers.
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Cool....will try to get there this year.
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Done Ricochet Wall and would like to do Ocean Wall. Thanks.
 climbingpixie 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

My favourite from the Lakes is probably Banzai Pipeline (E1 5b). It's one of the best routes I've done in the Lakes and deserves more traffic than it gets.
 jcw 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:
You might find the odd one or two on a cliff known as Cloggy, before it went virtually extinct. And then there is always a quite interesting E 1, the Girdle. of Lower Amphi Buttres at Craig yr Ysfa.but the big cliffs of N Wales do involve a bit of walking. (-:
Ps but then looking at your profile you probably do remember these cliffs of yesteryear
Post edited at 20:55
 Jon Stewart 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

Really fantastic Gogarth E1: North West Passage (E1 5b) - but maybe not less frequented. The Wild Rover (E1 5b) is a bit bold, but fantastic wall climbing on good little holds.

Down in Pembroke, these are classics, but perhaps a bit overlooked compared to stuff like The Arrow etc:

Sealhunt (E1 5b) - really great, must do!
Ultravixens (E1 5b)
Wishful Thinking (E1 5b) - better than Rock Idol! (but short)

In the Peak, there are hundred of little E1s that are great. I like stuff like The Irrepressible Urge (E1 5b) and Mitch Pitch (E1 5c) but these aren't everyone's cup of tea being short with no gear. Hen Cloud is a good place to head for E1s, such as Solid Geometry (E1 5b) , Chicken (E1 5b) and Bulwark (E1 5b). Much more easy going than the HVSs!

On the lime, Staden Quarry has good E1s. The Chee Tor classic E1s are excellent too, but when you stray off the 'beaten' (it isn't these days) track, things get quite vegetated and filthy. Still good though! Beeston Tor is great for the E1 climber too.
 Jon Stewart 01 Jan 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:

> My favourite from the Lakes is probably Banzai Pipeline (E1 5b).

Really want to do this route!

Steve Perry 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

The Minstrel at Maeshafn in Clwyd is a cracker of an E1 and you'd be very unlucky to find anyone else on it if you went.

The Minstrel (E1 5b)

OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:

Fab' route but done it a couple of times.
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to jcw:

Certainly a few here for me to do as haven't done very much at all on Cloggy. Thanks
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Will make a note of some of these. Thanks
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to Steve Perry:

Cheers, done this one....very good too.
 mike123 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:
Rock island line on peel, if you ve not done it you should.

OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to mike123:

Thanks...done this a few times. Probably done most 3 star options really.
mike bailey 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

The Amphitheatre Girdle on Craig yr Ysfa has been mentioned above. Great route, and definitely recommended, but it's more like E2 than E1. The must-do E1 on that crag is Agrippa***: 100 metres of great climbing, not too hard technically, but a little run out at times. Wait for a warm, dry spell, make an early start, and you'll have a great day, especially if you link it with a climb on the upper wall.
For another good E1, try Funny Bone on Carreg Mianog. Short, steep, enigmatic, and a whopping sandbag at its former grade. Also cleaner than it used to be; maybe the crag cleaning fairies have been there?
 JJL 01 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

I know, I *know*, that you asked for the Lakes, Peak and Wales.

BUT

the sea cliffs of Pembroke, Devon and Cornwall are the spiritual home of the E1 grade.

Make a pilgrimage. You will want to send a postcard thanking me.
In reply to tmawer:

Frankie goes to Kendal was superb but probably needs resurrected?
DC
OP tmawer 01 Jan 2016
In reply to mike bailey:

I will try to get here this year; sounds great!
 Andy Clarke 02 Jan 2016
In reply to mike bailey:
Agree that Funny Bone is a very good route on a fine crag. Climbed it in October. Think I may be your cleaning fairy as I spent some time getting all the grass off the ledge you mantel onto on the exposed P2. But do you really think it justifies E1? Wouldn't argue with HVS but didn't think there was anything technically harder than 5a and found gear OK throughout. Anyway, great positions on both main pitches, and South facing crags in Ogwen are rarities to be cherished!
Post edited at 17:31
 Andy Clarke 02 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:
I've done a couple of memorable E1s (according to the guidebooks I had at the time) over the last couple of years that I think fit your bill, although they appear as E2s in the UKC database and probably justify it. Well worth checking out: Who's Who (E2 5b) on the Lleyn and The Kite Flyer (E2 5c) on Lech Drws Y Coed - a roadside slab of Welsh micro granite! And if you're ever at the far RH end of Tremadog please give Silver Shadow (E2 5c) a go, since I spent some long hours cleaning it in the autumn and would hate to see it fade back into leafy obscurity!

Harry Ellis 02 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

In the lakes Velox on Round How is an often overlooked gem
 Wsdconst 02 Jan 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Good choice,We visited Agden rocher when the tour de Yorkshire was passing through bradfield,in fact we camped on the field just above the crag,it's better than you think it's gonna be,reminds me of rivelin,think it must be the closeness of the trees.never much traffic on it,so some of the routes are a bit dirty,but enjoyable .
 shantaram 02 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

Here's a few in the northern Lake District I've enjoyed that get overlooked:

Walk Under Ladders - Sandbed Ghyll Crag, St Johns in the Vale
Mark Of Zorro, Zorro Buttress, Buttermere (Banderas is also good, but not as good as M.O.Z)
Flake Out, Moss Crag, Buttermere
Brahma, Grey Crag, Buttermere
 Dave Ferguson 02 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

> Frankie goes to Kendal was superb but probably needs resurrected?

> DC

gave this a clean last year and agree, a good route

others I have enjoyed and are off the beaten track are:
City of Love and Ashes (E1 5a) a little bold but similar to the sergeant crag slab routes on great rock
Innominate/Sepulchre Combination (E2 5b) well protected and technical
Scrubs up nicely (E2 5b) E1 really as gear is good, lovely gabbro too
Encroacher (E1 5b) a direct version of Cleopatra and great climbing if a bit spooky
Venus (E1 5b) needs a dry spell but very good
Strider (E1 5b) overlooked but clean enough to be worthwhile
Brahma (E1 5b) a great well protected pitch
Bathsheba (E1 5c) technical well protected climbing that looks dirty but holds are clean
 ianstevens 02 Jan 2016
In reply to spenser:

> M.I.L. Arete (E1 5b) - Bold but I loved it, the lack of gear probably didn't bother me too much because my belayer was very hungover when I led it so probably wouldn't have caught a big whipper! From what I remember the moves aren't too hard for 5b, just next to very doubtful gear a long way from anything decent. Once you've done this you may as well do Razorback (HVS 5a) which is technically harder but has good gear where it matters.

> Both pretty decent routes from what I remember.

Have to disagree here, MIL arete is utter crap. It's not bold either, unless you consider climbing a ladder bold... There's gear by the crux, which is one or two moves off a ledge. Not worth the star it gets in the guide IMO.

mike bailey 02 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Good to hear that Funny Bone is getting some attention; a very good route on an under rated crag. When we looked at it about 3 years ago the crux mantel on P1 was pretty much unclimbable - covered in black cornflake lichen, and had probably not been climbed for years. The Paul Williams guide, whilst not giving a detailed description, noted that it was 'usually dirty.' Weeks later it was as clean as a whistle. Perhaps some public spirited person took on the job as a 'Big Society' project. . Whoever it was, they did us all a favour, and the route is now well worth a look. Regarding the grade, I thought the first mantel was initially quite bold and tenuous: it's only when you are already committed that you realise you can get a good nut in, and then only if you can place it from a precarious position. I thought E1 5b was reasonable for the moves, but maybe a taller or stronger leader would think differently. My line of thought would be 'better a soft touch than a sandbag.'
 Dave Garnett 03 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

I think Hot Tin Roof at Bosley Cloud fits the bill. Still not that well-known and a really satisfying pitch.

Hot Tin Roof (E1 5a)
 Martin Bennett 03 Jan 2016
In reply to tmawer:

A good excuse for new year leaf through my 50 year diary. It came up with these suggestions for you:

Lakes:
Dovedale Groove, Dove Crag
Carnival, Eagle Crag Birkness Comb
Grand Slam, Esk Buttress (as well as the well known classics)
Nebuchadnezzar's Dream & Gethsemane, High Crag (as well as the well known classics)
The Dolorous Stroke, Haskett Buttress (not the best E1 in The Lakes but a candidate for the least frequented?)
Amos Moses, The Napes
The Slant & Angel of Mercy, Gable Crag
Columbia, Stonestar Crag
Panjandrum & Pleasure Zone, Shelter Crag; among others.
The Cutter, Erne Crag
Express Crack, Buckbarrow Crag
Too many to list at eg East Buttress and Pillar!

N Wales:
First of all: Cloggy Cloggy Cloggy!
The Groove, Llech Ddu (and, I believe, Elliw, though I've not done it. Yet.)
Condor, Moelwyns
Keel Haul, Graig Cwm Cowarch

and . . . ? This has just gone to show me how much I've concentrated on the "honeypots" when in Wales so - sorry, only a small contribution here. Did I mention Cloggy?

Peak:

If you MUST climb on sedimentary rocks go to Yorks instead and do:
Carnage Left hand, Malham - Brilliant - with use of the one aid point it's just plain old "Yorkshire VS" (which could mean anything, and usually does!)

Thanks for prompting a nostalgic afternoon. I hope you have half the fun I had on some of these.

OP tmawer 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Thanks Martin....and everyone else, for all the suggestions; quite a number I have done, but certainly enough that I haven't, to give a busy year....weather permitting!
In reply to tmawer:

Bucket Rider (E1 5c) on Pant Ifan is very good. Hey! (E2 5b) just next to it is OK as well though a bit artificial (still not sure if I went right way)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...