UKC

Brake pad wear indicator postion?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigBrother 02 Jan 2016
What position should the metal spring wear indicator go on brake pads? It makes sense to me to have it at the leading edge so that the disk pulls past it after going through the pad but I have seen reccomendations for the other way so that the disk surface passes the indicator before the pad. I would have though this would cause the indicator to dig into the disk causing damage.

thanks
 gethin_allen 02 Jan 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

The only car I've had with an indicator had the wire embedded in one of the pads. If the wire was behind the pad it may just get dragged away from the disc and then not make a good contact.
Having the wire in front of the pad would result in it being dragged under between the pad and disc, ensuring a good contact when the brakes are applied.

Considering that you are supposed to change the pads asap when the light comes on there shouldn't be much wear from the sensor on the disc and even if you ignored the light for a while I doubt it would do much to the disc.
OP BigBrother 02 Jan 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't mean an electronic sensor just the bent bit of metal that scrapes on the disc to make a noise when the pad is low.
 gethin_allen 02 Jan 2016
In reply to BigBrother:

OK, I get what you mean. A quick google gets me this
http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Toyota-Celica-1986-1993-Repair-Guide/F...

I can't vouch for the site but about 4/5ths down the page there is a diagram showing that the wear indicator should be on the leading edge.

make of that what you will.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...