UKC

HELP! I just started dating a climber...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclimber2 03 Jan 2016
Hi everyone, I'm very grateful for you taking the time to read and respond.

I am not into climbing at all and I've just started dating a woman who does rock climbing and bouldering.

I am wondering if there are any other folks here who's significant other is not into their sport at all and if you have any words of wisdom for me.

Specifically Im wondering about joint activities such as holidays. I know that for my girlfriend, holidays involve finding rocks to climb and for me they involve finding beaches to lie on. How do other people deal with this situation?

What other issues have other people faced and how have you handled them?

Many thanks

elliott92 03 Jan 2016
Your girlfriend is more badass than you. Start rock climbing.
Lusk 03 Jan 2016
In reply to notaclimber2:

Go to beaches with rocks on them.
 tmawer 03 Jan 2016

Allow each other the space to do your own things; some climbing holidays for her with mates, beach holidays for you with mates and some holidays together finding an acceptable compromise.......worked well for me the last 10 years.
 Run_Ross_Run 03 Jan 2016

. I know that for my girlfriend, holidays involve finding rocks to climb and for me they involve finding beaches to lie on. How do other people deal with this situation?

3 cliffs bay down the Gower peninsula should sort you both out lovely

hang_about 03 Jan 2016

Learn to belay....
 Jon Stewart 03 Jan 2016

Here's something to be aware of: when she says she'll do something non-climbing on a weekend she's hoping that it'll rain that day. When it doesn't, she'll either cancel your plans and go climbing, or else mope about all day with a face like a smacked arse. Just thought you should know!
 Greasy Prusiks 03 Jan 2016

Try climbing!
 MonkeyPuzzle 03 Jan 2016

If you enjoy photographing piles of al fresco excreta, perhaps a holiday to Fontainebleu would suit you both.
 Adrien 03 Jan 2016

Look for places with both beaches and rock. Brittany (Kerlouan, Ploumana'ch) has an awful lot of boulders on beaches with hundreds of established routes. Corsica and the Seychelles also spring to mind. I think some beaches in the Asturias (Northern Spain) also have boulder problems.
 Timmd 03 Jan 2016

The predicable answer from a climbing forum is to suggest you give climbing a go.

There's no rule to this kind of thing, you could alternate what kind of holidays you have, or go to places where there are both cliffs and beaches and learn to belay, so she gets to climb and you get to lounge on the beach, the solution(s) you find will depend on your personalities.
 Timmd 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> Here's something to be aware of: when she says she'll do something non-climbing on a weekend she's hoping that it'll rain that day. When it doesn't, she'll either cancel your plans and go climbing, or else mope about all day with a face like a smacked arse. Just thought you should know!

You have such a bright and sunny view of life.

Post edited at 17:21
 BnB 03 Jan 2016

Is she of an athletic build and unusually flexible and energetic? I would be bloody grateful and stop looking for issues.
 Flinticus 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> You have such a bright and sunny view of life.

Yeah, but it's so true. When I arrange gigs with mates, I try to keep it to school nights or, if it has to be at the weekend, hope to f*ck the weather is crap! The same goes for any kind of non - outdoor weekend commitment, including all family events. However, I will rarely cancel something I've agreed on. As such I try to avoid giving cast guarantees of presence. I say 'yeah, maybe', 'it depends', 'don't know, too early too say (i.e. too soon for the weekend weather forecast.)
Rigid Raider 03 Jan 2016

Er..... *cough* has she got her own ropes? She might want to, er, teach you a few knots.
 Robert Durran 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

No, he is just being perceptive and realistic. It looks like a hopeless situation to me. The OP just wants to lie on a beach; he's not even active!
 melocoton 03 Jan 2016

Have you actually got anything in common? If you have , focus on that. If not, your question is moot because your relationship probably won't last.....😉 or, as others have already said, start climbing.
> How do other people deal with this situation?

You're asking the wrong people........we're all climbers!

But, from our point of view, the way it's usually dealt with is to get dumped.
Post edited at 19:51
 Dave the Rave 03 Jan 2016

What on earth is she thinking of? I would bin you now! If she gets bored with you, drop me a line
 Trevers 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

> Yeah, but it's so true. When I arrange gigs with mates, I try to keep it to school nights or, if it has to be at the weekend, hope to f*ck the weather is crap! The same goes for any kind of non - outdoor weekend commitment, including all family events. However, I will rarely cancel something I've agreed on. As such I try to avoid giving cast guarantees of presence. I say 'yeah, maybe', 'it depends', 'don't know, too early too say (i.e. too soon for the weekend weather forecast.)

And when you've made an unavoidable commitment for a weekend (e.g. wedding attendance), the Powers That Be degree that it will turn out to be perfect climbing weather
In reply to Trevers:

> And when you've made an unavoidable commitment for a weekend (e.g. wedding attendance).

You're obviously not committed enough to climbing. Anyway, why do people selfishly always seem to get married on sunny weekends in June? If they had any consideration at all for their climbing friends they would only do it midweek in November.

Brass Nipples 03 Jan 2016

You don't have to do everything together. So allow her the space to enjoy her climbing in return have your space for less athletic endeavours. Then have your times when you do couple stuff.
 Timmd 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:
> You're obviously not committed enough to climbing. Anyway, why do people selfishly always seem to get married on sunny weekends in June? If they had any consideration at all for their climbing friends they would only do it midweek in November.

I had similar thoughts when I was invited to a cool festival during last summer and couldn't go, why do people choose the times of year when people are thinking about doing other fun things?

My brothers both got married in the autumn, quite considerate really.
Post edited at 20:11
In reply to Timmd:

> My brothers both got married in the autumn, quite considerate really.

I genuinely know people who, in their thirties, have really got pretty frustrated at having their climbing compromised by having so many friends getting married on summer weekends. Perhaps just best to just bin non-climbing friends as well as non-climbing girlfriends............

Mick Ward 03 Jan 2016

> ...and if you have any words of wisdom for me.

The most fun you're likely to get from her fascination (and be warned, it's all too often obsession!) with climbing is... discovering alternative uses for her ropes, slings and krabs.

Just lie back and enjoy it!

Good luck.

Mick
Climbyclaudie 03 Jan 2016

You should try climbing, even a bit, maybe a hill walk. If you like it continue, if not be honest, say you hate it. It is pants when you date a climber but are not a climber. You will be left sad and alone in the house while they climb rocks in some foreign place. You will plan sweet weekends out only to discover she has already made plans to climb the whatever crag with some hairy bloke. You will be forced to look at footage from holidays you were not invited on, which seem to consist of rock after rock after rock... a photo of a beer, someone pointing at a cliff, then more bloody rock.
On the other hand.....it is awful when you are a climber, who dates someone who is not a climber. They sob etc. when you go climbing with muscle bound Bob the climby dude, they are resentful if you talk too much about chalk balls and they do not understand most of what you say about jugs. They say things like..." Had a nice time? Did you climb anything good? And was that good,when you climbed it?Was it cold? Was it high? You are brave...can you put the bins out now please?" etc.They cannot share your dreams. Sometimes they pretend to like climbing, like doing a walk with a small scramble and saying it was great, when they were secretly more bored than than a Lego enthusiast at a rugby match, which is even worse. Outdoorsy people, should date outdoorsy people and people who like knitting and watching You've been framed.. should date similar for long term success
Post edited at 21:05
 Jon Stewart 03 Jan 2016

> I genuinely know people who, in their thirties, have really got pretty frustrated at having their climbing compromised by having so many friends getting married on summer weekends.

Happened to me. Especially galling since none of these people are ever going to be invited to my wedding. After a bit I just declined the invites.
 The Lemming 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Here's something to be aware of: when she says she'll do something non-climbing on a weekend she's hoping that it'll rain that day. When it doesn't, she'll either cancel your plans and go climbing, or else mope about all day with a face like a smacked arse. Just thought you should know!

Surely this has to be quote of the year, hands down?
 Pbob 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Can I make some crude and rather obvious jokes involving nuts?
 Trevers 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Pbob:

> Can I make some crude and rather obvious jokes involving nuts?

Do you even have to ask?
 Babika 03 Jan 2016

Am I the only one thinking: brand new poster, only 1 post, never replied to the OP = obvious troll?
 Wsdconst 03 Jan 2016

First things first,all female climbers love lesbian threesomes,so you've scored there mate, secondly,it is an addiction, not a hobby,she may come across as obsessed but that's because she is, and thirdly don't feel intimidated by all her male climber friends walking around with there tops off, they're probably gay anyway.
In reply to Wsdconst:
> Don't feel intimidated by all her male climber friends walking around with there tops off, they're probably gay anyway.

They must be if she's making do with a non climber.

Anyway, I've always thought that single female (non lesbian) climbers are a bit like those subatomic particles which only ever have an independent existence for about ten to the minus 58 seconds before being snapped up by some big f*** off neutron or whatever and are really little more than a theoretical construct whose existence is only hinted at by the circumstantial evidence of climbing couples.
Post edited at 22:02
 Timmd 03 Jan 2016
> I genuinely know people who, in their thirties, have really got pretty frustrated at having their climbing compromised by having so many friends getting married on summer weekends. Perhaps just best to just bin non-climbing friends as well as non-climbing girlfriends............

I think one needs to have a rethink if people doing nice things like weddings during summer weekends starts to become annoying. I'd have liked to have seen Bjork playing live but a lifelong friend's wedding couldn't be missed.

I find myself thinking, as a single person in their 30's, that it's probably possible for such annoyance to have at it's root the fact that one is single. Weddings and things are lovely occasions really.
Post edited at 22:31
Climbyclaudie 03 Jan 2016

Oh Wsdconst...you know nothing of particle physics, nor women. You stick to the climbing. You know the climbing
 Wsdconst 03 Jan 2016

> They must be if she's making do with a non climber.

> Anyway, I've always thought that single female (non lesbian) climbers are a bit like those subatomic particles which only ever have an independent existence for about ten to the minus 58 seconds before being snapped up by some big f*** off neutron or whatever and are really little more than a theoretical construct whose existence is only hinted at by the circumstantial evidence of climbing couples.

Yes ? Or no ? Is this another bran washing exercise ?
 Wsdconst 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Climbyclaudie:

> Oh Wsdconst...you know nothing of particle physics, nor women. You stick to the climbing. You know the climbing

Ah the climbing, the only thing that ever truly stole my heart.
 climbingpixie 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Not when it's your third or fourth of the year and you're missing a cracking weekend of climbing because of it. Thankfully it's rained on most of my friends' weddings over the last few years.
 Trevers 03 Jan 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:

> Not when it's your third or fourth of the year and you're missing a cracking weekend of climbing because of it. Thankfully it's rained on most of my friends' weddings over the last few years.

Nice day for a wet wedding?
notaclimber2 04 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:

Oh I am, super amazingly grateful and I want to hang on to this one, so I'm hoping to solve this issue way before it becomes a problem.
notaclimber2 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

lol
notaclimber2 04 Jan 2016
In reply to elliott92:

funny
notaclimber2 04 Jan 2016

cracking up, thanks!
notaclimber2 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:

Definitely not, absolutely genuine
notaclimber2 04 Jan 2016
Thanks to everyone for the funny responses and for the serious ones. I know I have a challenge ahead of me and I know relationships can be tricky even in the best of situations, but some of your thoughts are really helpful. Im not sure if the ideas about learning how to belay are serious - if so that sounds like a brilliant idea. I was applying a little over contrast when talking about the beach - I'm a keen photographer, I dont have the nadgers to do what you guys do up on cliff faces (hats off) but I do like getting into beautiful outdoorsy places and photographing them. Anyway, I wish you all a wonderful year and really, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Andy Gamisou 04 Jan 2016

>> Outdoorsy people, should date outdoorsy people and people who like knitting and watching You've been framed.. should date similar for long term success

My wife is a keen climber AND enjoys knitting, although not usually at the same time.

Mind you, it could give her something to do when it's my turn to set up the belay and I'm being my usual efficient self.

Andy Gamisou 04 Jan 2016

> Im not sure if the ideas about learning how to belay are serious - if so that sounds like a brilliant idea.

I'm pretty sure they were. It's not a hard skill to acquire and 'belay bunnies' are a valuable climbing resource. I know quite a few non-climbers who share their climbng partners passion via this route.

> I dont have the nadgers to do what you guys do up on cliff faces (hats off)

I'd really recommend giving it a go - the amount of bravery required is surprisingly little. Some if the biggest wusses I 've come across enjoy climbing (me included).

BnB 04 Jan 2016

> Oh I am, super amazingly grateful and I want to hang on to this one, so I'm hoping to solve this issue way before it becomes a problem.

Then celebrate your differences instead of worrying about them. Long term couples thrive on their complementary natures, not on their similarities. If she is a risk taker and you a comfort seeker then you balance each other well. Let her know how much you care for her and be her best (male) friend, but give her the freedom to pursue her passion. You don't have to follow her up a cliff, just understand she needs to climb.
 RobertHepburn 04 Jan 2016
All the responders will tell you climbing is the best thing ever (it is) and you should give it a go (you should), but my wife thinks differently so I guess it's not for everyone ...

For me I either:

1. Have my wife come along with a chair and book whilst I climb. A camping folding chair is pretty portable, and many climbing areas are a bit rocky for just lying down on. It has to be fairly warm for this as well, as you can get cold quickly if you are just sitting.

or

2. Go out for a quick session on my own. This means the crag has to be pretty close to where we are staying. I am pretty driven, so am happy getting up at 6am, doing 2 hours hard bouldering, and being back for 9am. I did this lots when our kids were younger.

We always have holidays close to some bouldering, and my wife teases me that we should go to Norfolk one year. In the UK there is lots of choice:

Peak/Yorkshire gritstone - no beaches but some great places and good walking.
Northumberland - good bouldering about 10 miles inland from beaches.
South Wales/Cornwall/North Devon/Dorset - great coastal bouldering, often tidal, but also with body boarding/swimming possibilities too. My personal favourite is Godrevy ( Godrevy).

In France we have been to:
North West Brittany: Reasonable granite boulders, nice beaches, quite like Cornwall.
Fontainebleau: Best place in the world for bouldering, no sea but some nice Sandy areas (e.g. Cul de Chien), good weather and a beautiful forest with great walking. We go for a week a year, would recommend!
Ardeche: Some reasonable limestone bouldering and sport routes, but also with some fantastic river pools for swimming, with beaches on the banks. Can be very hot, but lots of good walking/cycling/canoeing/canyoning as well. There is a topo online, but also see http://climbingaway.fr/en/climbing-areas/casteljau .

We also have a rule that I am only allowed to tell her about one climb, and she has to pretend to be interested .

Good luck with it all,

Robert
Post edited at 09:30
 nutme 04 Jan 2016
If you are okey to spent majority of holidays and weekends separately then there should be no problem.
I have seen it work and know a couple like that. Well.. I know her for years, but met him maybe a couple of times.
 Flinticus 04 Jan 2016

Photographers should fine plenty of subject material in climbing and in the locations climbing takes you.

Mike Stretford 04 Jan 2016
> I was applying a little over contrast when talking about the beach - I'm a keen photographer, I dont have the nadgers to do what you guys do up on cliff faces (hats off) but I do like getting into beautiful outdoorsy places and photographing them.

I'd consider 'dabbling' in climbing. By this I mean learn to belay and top-rope climbing, which you can do at a wall. Of course belaying is a serious responsibility, but so are other things you might do, like driving.

I can understand if you're not familiar with things it might seem daunting, but it isn't. Both my non-climbing girlfriends have done this, and I can assure you they did not have nadgers.
Post edited at 11:31
 Robert Durran 04 Jan 2016

> Thanks to everyone for the funny responses and for the serious ones.

Oh dear. I think you'll find out soon enough that most of the "funny" responses are actually also deadly serious. You'll find out soon enough.

Timmd 04 Jan 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:
> Not when it's your third or fourth of the year and you're missing a cracking weekend of climbing because of it. Thankfully it's rained on most of my friends' weddings over the last few years.

You were GLAD that it's rained on the ONE SPECIAL DAY your FRIENDS have to CELEBRATE their LOVE for one another?

Post edited at 12:33
 Robert Durran 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> You were GLAD that it's rained on the ONE SPECIAL DAY your FRIENDS have to CELEBRATE their LOVE for one another?

Any CLIMBER worthy of the name would be GLAD if it rained on their OWN wedding day.
notaclimber2 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

Really liking the belay idea

I have a fear of heights, driven around in the alps a bit, almost shat myself a few times, maybe this will cure me lol
notaclimber2 04 Jan 2016

You guys are a whole new breed of awesomeness, thanks so much for your thoughts, can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

That alone is making me want to get involved, if only in a small way, I dunno, will see how it pans out, but the camaraderie that pervades this group really is something special.

Heartfelt thanks!
 Timmd 04 Jan 2016

> Really liking the belay idea

> I have a fear of heights, driven around in the alps a bit, almost shat myself a few times, maybe this will cure me lol

I knew a really good climber who started climbing to cure his fear of heights, and he won competitions in his teens and things, he got really strong.
 deepsoup 04 Jan 2016
I know a couple of good climbers who are actually quite scared of heights too.

If you're genuinely (and irrationally) crapping your pants, I've heard good things about the weekend course that Will Legon offers: http://www.will4adventure.com/overcome-your-fear-of-heights/
 sebastien 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Maybe but he could not be more spot on!
 AMorris 04 Jan 2016

> I am not into climbing at all

Huh, that's weird... what on earth do you think about all day then?
Lusk 04 Jan 2016
In reply to AMorris:

> Huh, that's weird... what on earth do you think about all day then?

Sex with his new girlfriend!
In reply to notaclimber2: Don't get too alarmed if she talks enthusiastically about 'fisting'.
 obi-wan nick b 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:
... "I can understand if you're not familiar with things it might seem daunting, but it isn't. Both my non-climbing girlfriends have done this"...

Wow respect - 2 on the go!!
Post edited at 17:27
 Wsdconst 04 Jan 2016
> I'd consider 'dabbling' in climbing. By this I mean learn to belay and top-rope climbing, which you can do at a wall. Of course belaying is a serious responsibility, but so are other things you might do, like driving.

> I can understand if you're not familiar with things it might seem daunting, but it isn't. Both my non-climbing girlfriends have done this, and I can assure you they did not have nadgers.

You have two girlfriends ? High five to that bro !

Oh bum looks like I was beaten to it, damn you obi wan nick b
Post edited at 17:53
In reply to Wsdconst: I'd better scotch these rumours... I should have added consecutive!
 Brass Nipples 04 Jan 2016

> I'd better scotch these rumours... I should have added consecutive!

Whoah, such endurance and stamina
 Wsdconst 04 Jan 2016

> I'd better scotch these rumours... I should have added consecutive!

Well that's a let down, can I have my high five back please
 flopsicle 04 Jan 2016

Don't tread on her toes when her climbing shoes are on.
 Wsdconst 04 Jan 2016

I have hatched a cunning plan,first of all you adopt a secret training regime, any time your not with her your training down the wall, you should use a disguise maybe a fake beard unless you already have a beard in which case shave it off then use a fake one, oh and talk in an Ozzie accent too to disguise your voice unless of course you are in fact from Australia in which case choose another. Next step,your gonna need a coach someone top class Neil Gresham,Tom Randall,a monkey(really good climbers but may attack you sporadically ) now here's the really good part, she says hey gaylord (insert your real name here) I'm heading out to millstone today with fit Brad and ten inch Tom so I can't see you this weekend because I'm gonna be really sore(from climbing) and you say hey tracy(insert her name) I wouldn't mind having a go at some of that, so you head out to millstone throw down your nap sack and solo London wall in your speedos and crocs,then rock over to masters edge and solo that one handed wearing a blindfold, walk back down discover Brad and Tom are actually married, grab her and say gimme some sugar,tuts, then do the leaning over kiss thing, screen goes dark, roll end credits. You're welcome . Don't forget to invite me to your wedding.
 elliott92 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Storyline of the porno I just watched. Titled; I'm loving your rack, check out my nuts.

I'll get my coat

And my tissue
 Wsdconst 04 Jan 2016
In reply to elliott92:

Is that the one with Jonny Dawes doing a solo in the background ?
 Rob Naylor 05 Jan 2016

> I have a fear of heights, driven around in the alps a bit, almost shat myself a few times.

I have a fear of heights too. I really struggle to go near the edge of a cliff or crag when not on a rope. Being on a rope though, even on the "sharp" end, seems to calm my fears considerably. I think you'd find that, seconding or top-roping, you'd lose most of that fear.

youngtom 05 Jan 2016

If you're considering getting her an expensive present at any point then bear in mind that anodised aluminium will probably excite her more than gold, silver or the other traditional shiny metals.
 jkarran 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

> I have a fear of heights too. I really struggle to go near the edge of a cliff or crag when not on a rope. Being on a rope though, even on the "sharp" end, seems to calm my fears considerably. I think you'd find that, seconding or top-roping, you'd lose most of that fear.

Ditto.
So long as I have a rope or parachute on I'm fine.
jk
 spenser 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Presumably you won't attend if it isn't raining?
 Wsdconst 05 Jan 2016
In reply to spenser:

> Presumably you won't attend if it isn't raining?

Depends if there's a free bar or not
 spidermonkey09 08 Jan 2016

Go on a Plas Y Brenin course!
 JR_NL 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Babika:
Who really cares, it's good banter!
notaclimber2 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Awesome, exactly what I was planning
 teflonpete 10 Jan 2016

> I am wondering if there are any other folks here who's significant other is not into their sport at all and if you have any words of wisdom for me.

> What other issues have other people faced and how have you handled them?

My ex wife isn't into climbing but enjoyed running. I only run if something with big teeth is chasing me.

Notice I said ex wife.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...