UKC

Recommend an altimeter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gaz22 04 Jan 2016
I'm looking for an altimeter to add another tool to my map reading and walking in general. I've looked at suuntos as I know they have one built in, but don't really want to pay that muchwhen I only want use of the altimeter. Can anyone recommend a decent one?
 d_b 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Gaz22:

I don't get on with watches myself, but a mate of mine swears by the Casio ones. Cheaper than Suunto and they always seemed accurate when we were out on the hills.
 SenzuBean 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Gaz22:

I have a Casio watch with one in and am very happy with it. Very easy to switch between timing, and using the altimeter.

I've yet to use it in full winter conditions or with thick gloves / mitts on, but everything less its performed great.

It is a PRW-3000.
 Mountain Llama 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Gaz22:

I use a 10 year old casio protrek watch. simple to use and solar powered.

Davey
Rigid Raider 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Gaz22:

Just collected my 1990 Casio Altimeter Watch AW330 from having a new battery fitted and it's working as well as ever. Now all I need is a genuine strap.
 nutme 04 Jan 2016
I have Suunto Core and my friend uses Casio. Not sure of exact model, but it was about £30. Altimeter readings are identical. We find Core to be better build and more convenient to use. Temperature reading of Core are interesting to observe, but generally useless.

If I were buying now I would have went for Casio, because the benefits of Suunto are not worth extra hundred.
 nniff 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Gaz22:

One of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Digital-Watch-SGW-300H-1AVER-Resin/dp/B003LSU...

Can't fault mine really. Easy to calibrate when you get to a spot height or definable contour line. Doesn't do anything fancy, but I don't want it to. It just helps me to work out where the blazes I am without needing to have a natter with three satellites. Batteries last for years.

Five metre increments. Usually hops one increment away from where you set it as soon as you press the button, but it's not like I'm surveying or anything - it's good enough for stumbling around a hill in the murk and dark.
OP Gaz22 04 Jan 2016
Thanks for the help, given me a better idea of what works.
 veteye 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Gaz22:

I've been wondering about altimeters and GPS functions. The thing with the Suunto watches that have GPS as well is that the watches are apparently self calibrating, inasmuch as when the GPS is picked up at a certain spot height, then that height will be taken as the altimeter reading(as I understand it).
I do not know if it would be sensible to get a separate altimeter and a box conformation GPS.The latter would have the possibility of carrying a map onscreen then, rather than just GPS coordinates. Having said that I generally have managed with map and compass.(It just might be faster using GPS to find where you are in really foul conditions)
Rob
 sdavies141 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Gaz22:

I got a Suunto Ambit 3 Peak - it has an altimeter but really only worth the money f you want it for the other features like GPS maps / waypoints / tracking which I really like.

I also use it when running, cycling, etc as its better than having a phone on you and using Strava.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...