UKC

Unbreakable cycling record is broken

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brass Nipples 04 Jan 2016
The unbreakable miles cycled in a year record, previously held by Tommy Godwin has just been broken. 75,066 miles (and counting) cycled in a year.

Amazing.
 CasWebb 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

Might not last very long if Steven Abraham can avoid getting knocked down again
OP Brass Nipples 04 Jan 2016
In reply to CasWebb:

Bruce Berkley has now started as well and cycled 212 miles on Jan 1st to open his account.

In reply to Orgsm:

> Bruce Berkley has now started as well and cycled 212 miles on Jan 1st to open his account.

The floodgates have opened.
 Phil79 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:
It is indeed an absolutely amazing achievement. Hats off to Kurt.

It should probably be acknowledge that Kurt is doing it under vastly better conditions (weather, terrain, and equipment) than either Tommy, or for that matter Steve.

That's not taking anything away from any of them - to sit on bike day after day and grind that sort of mileage out is nothing short of incredible.
Post edited at 10:44
cb294 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

Didn´t see this on Kurt Searvogel´s website which says 9 days and 700odd miles to go.

Anyone else at that stage of their attempt that I missed?

CB
In reply to CasWebb:

> Might not last very long if Steven Abraham can avoid getting knocked down again

Steve's got to average over 220 miles a day from now until August to even beat Godwin's record though - I don't like to admit it but I think his chances are slim at best.

Amazing achievement by Kurt, I have mega respect for him (and Steve, for that matter - 64,000 miles ish in a year where he broke his ankle is astounding!)
In reply to Orgsm:

The numbers were too big for me to comprehend...so I decided to work out how far it would be as a daily commute, monday to friday for a year, with four weeks holiday not cycling (like I used to do...18 miles round trip a day) and it's 311 miles round trip a day, 155.5 miles each way.

An example of that daily commute is Central London to Kortrijk (Belgium) and back (or central London to Manchester) ...

Now I understand what an achievement it is...hats off!!
KevinD 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I was foolish enough to start following Steve Abraham on strava. Makes me feel rather lazy when he completes the monthly challenge before i even get started on it.
 Henry Iddon 07 Jan 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Did this new 'record breaking' guy not do some of the miles on a recumbent ? In my book that isn't a road bike. Fair play all the same.
KevinD 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> Did this new 'record breaking' guy not do some of the miles on a recumbent ? In my book that isn't a road bike. Fair play all the same.

Yup I believe Kurt used one for some of the riding. Not sure how much.
Steve Abraham also used a recumbent trike for a bit but that was when he had the broken ankle (turning him keeping on riding from complete insane to just pretty insane in my opinion).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...