UKC

Winter waterproof cycling gloves with removable inners?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Harris 05 Jan 2016
As per the title. I’ve tried a few different waterproof insulated cycling gloves & they’ve all had the same issues:

Hands get very sweaty after not many miles.
Removing gloves without turning the inner inside out is a trial.
They take ages to dry out.
They turn very smelly, very quickly.

The obvious solution is a 2 glove (or, indeed, 2 pairs of gloves) thermal inner & shell outer combo.
Any suggestions?

(Invitations to obey Rule 6 will be respectfully declined.)
Rigid Raider 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

A thin inner layer or an insulated glove with two layers is a nightmare on a bike because one layer moves against the other, reducing your grip, especially if there's a layer of slippery insulation between the inner and outer.

In 28 years of off-road and road cycling I've found that the best glove is thin and windproof rather than insulating. This gives the widest spread of usable temperatures and good grip and feel of the controls. This Madison Windshell glove is ideal because my hands are never too cold or too hot and they dry fast and can be washed. I like mine so much that I've bought a second pair to keep in a drawer for when the first pair eventually wears out:

http://www.mccarthycycles.com/uploads/1247/madisonwindshellmens.jpg
 wilkesley 05 Jan 2016

Do they have to be waterproof? I don't mind my hands getting wet as long as they are warm. Waterproof/warm/non sweaty is one of those "You can pick any two, but not get all three together" problems.
 Stig 05 Jan 2016

Understand the issue as I struggle terribly with hands when it's cold. Although of course it hasn't been an issue this year.

Pretty happy with a pair called Chiba. There is some neoprene on the back, but it has a leathery palm and soft inner fabric. Not waterproof but does have a nylon cover (lobster claw style) that folds away into a cuff. Haven't noticed any smelliness and easy to wash.

I like it because it has good grip, not bulky and I think a lot of the warmth comes from a high cuff that tucks under my jacket (I'm pretty convinced that a lot of keeping hands warms comes from keeping wrists insulated. Cheap too.

A lot of people swear by Castelli diluvios but I think these are mostly neoprene so probably get sweaty. I've never really liked the feeling of neoprene gloves (and the smell)

Friends seem to use sealskin too.
 kevnet 05 Jan 2016
I use Dachstein Mitts my hands stay warm even when theses get wet, on a very cold day Ill use a liner glove for below 0 degrees, I tried loads of different gloves and Ive found these suit me the best. They breath very good, all the other gloves ive tried end up wet from sweaty hands
Post edited at 14:24
OP Chris Harris 05 Jan 2016
In reply to wilkesley:

> Do they have to be waterproof? I don't mind my hands getting wet as long as they are warm.

That's OK on a single run, but if I get them wet commuting to work, I don't particularly want to drag on cold wet gloves at the end of the day to go home.

Could get 2 pairs I suppose.
cb294 05 Jan 2016

I use normal windproof (but not waterproof) cross country skiing gloves with leather palm insets, which I also use for summer mountaineering. If the get wet on the morning run I hang them up to dry at work. Usually they are dry enough to be comfortable for the homeward leg.

If the weather is totally wet I use waterproof mitts over the top, and my ice climbing gloves and down jacket below -10°C or so.

CB
 LastBoyScout 05 Jan 2016

Sealskins are doing the job for me at the moment - good, but not perfect.

Although I very much regret not buying a pair of Gore ones I saw in Evans that they've now stopped selling.
cb294 05 Jan 2016

Something I forgot in my previous post:

Rule 6 (something about mind and legs) is irrelevant, but you should definitely have a look at rule 5!

CB
OP Chris Harris 06 Jan 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Something I forgot in my previous post:

> Rule 6 (something about mind and legs) is irrelevant, but you should definitely have a look at rule 5!

> CB

Bugger, wrong Rule. You know I meant 5
cb294 06 Jan 2016

How could I have known? (peering innocently over the rim of my glasses looking vaguely like Bambi...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...