UKC

What do you think about Black Pudding?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
It seems the humble Black Pudding might be making a come back;

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/05/its-2016-and-black-pudding-is-your-new-superf...

I love it but have got quite partial to Hogs Pudding over the last year or so (not too sure what the difference is though apart from lack of blood).

PS. The best Black Pudding I've tasted was at the Crask Inn - not sure if it was the atmosphere or the pudding though.
 girlymonkey 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

I like it. Stornoway black pudding is the best.
I had no idea it had gone away to make a come back!
 Dervey 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Love the stuff
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

A bit like marmite - I can take it or leave it.
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I had no idea it had gone away to make a come back!

Where have you been! Try getting some Black Pudding in the south of England.

Lusk 05 Jan 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I like it. Stornoway black pudding is the best.

Barbarian, Bury black pudding is the best!

bouldery bits 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Its best with a runny yolked fried egg on some toasted granary bread.
In reply to bouldery bits:

Where is the bacon? Or will that kill me...
 The New NickB 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Love it, but then I was born in Bury and only live down the road now.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Talk about splitting a Nation...
 Scarab9 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:
Isn't black pudding high in fat? Are we just ignoring fat now in diet advice? Are pork scratchings the next super food?

I also worry for the people told (good quality ) black pudding is a superfood and go bulk buying craps from Farmfoods or something.....

Ps. Not to say a good one ain't tasty....My distant memory from meat eating days says. Nom)
Post edited at 18:22
 Mike Peacock 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> Where have you been! Try getting some Black Pudding in the south of England.

They sell Bury black pudding in Tesco where I live in south Oxfordshire...
In reply to Scarab9:

I have no idea whether we are ignoring fat in diet advice, but if pork scratchings become the next super food I don't care - sign me up now.
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Genuine question. Is it vacuum packed slices or a full/partial pudding?
 nathan79 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

It's good, but it's no haggis. Stornoway black pudding is tasty, but there are many equally good ones to be had.

In reply to nathan79:

Haggis - bleugh.

Sorry
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

According to Guy Martin they are.
 Mike Peacock 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Just four slices I think (or maybe six, I forget).
 nathan79 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Bleurgh?! What's wrong with a bit of lungs, liver and heart all in the one dish? A dream come true!
In reply to nathan79:

The taste...

Each to his/her own though.
 Timmd 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
I gather that fat is no longer the evil it was once thought to be, and it's excess sugar and carbs (& salt too I guess) which are seen as the main things to worry/think about.

I'll always have in the back of my mind accounts of my ancestors on my Dad's side (previous three generations) who didn't drive and walked and cycled everywhere, and had pretty shocking diets compared to modern time wit, lots of salt and a liking for sugar in boiled sweets, and sugar & dripping sandwiches as treats, and that kind of thing, and seemed to live healthily until their mid 70's or 80's for the most part. They grew and ate their own veg and things like that though.

I think I've decided on keeping cycling and walking as the main things to keep doing in maintaining my health, in doing some of both every week, it seems to be the one thing which opinion doesn't change on, to do with health benefits. It's not as if we can't go for yearly health checks to do with blood pressure and cholesterol and that kind of thing, which should hopefully nip most bad things in the bud.
Post edited at 18:45
 Fraser 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Had some with scallops for lunch yesterday in a restaurant. Best - starter - EVER!
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Thanks. I've probably tried it and didn't think it lived up to expectations. Maybe more about me than the product though.
In reply to Fraser:

Now we are getting somewhere.

A small slice of black pudding topped with a scallop with a bit of your preferred seasoning really makes a good starter.
 EddInaBox 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Personally I loath the stuff, I only eat it to piss off the BNP!
In reply to EddInaBox:

I think your strategy is doomed to failure, however please continue just in case I'm wrong.
 ThunderCat 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

I went to see Emo Phillips in Deansgate many years ago and he had a line about "Some interesting cuisine you have in Manchester...Black Pudding? Fried pig's blood? Gee....I never thought of frying it...."

Love the stuff......cripples me with heartburn for hours afterwards, but well worth it.
Moley 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

A good black pudding, love it. Getting hold of it is the hard part, much of it is rubbish.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I thought you were joking however I found this;

http://www.guymartinracing.co.uk/meet-a-chance-to-meet-guy-martin-with-mr-p...

Thanks to this thread that is my breakfast sorted tomorrow;

Black Pudding (will require overnight drive to an as yet unnamed supermarket), placed carefully upon a slice of granary toast along with a runny yolk egg (fried/poached/boiled is still to be confirmed), I've sent the dog down the pub to get the final ingredient (thankfully she can't open packets and even though I will give her some < sorry I really should re-word that > ) there will be enough to sprinkle the scratchings upon the breakfast. After all of this I suspect I'll need a beer to wash the breakfast down - any suggestions?
 Sean Kelly 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Barbarian, Bury black pudding is the best!

Sorry, but the best is on Bolton market
 Mike-W-99 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

You are all wrong. Best is from George Cockburn in Dingwall. Good haggis too.

A nice artery hardening way to cook it is to crisp up a few slices in a frying pan and then pour in a few beaten eggs and put under the grill.
In reply to Mike-W-99:
Oi, this is about the new super food not an artery hardening way to cook...
Post edited at 19:46
 girlymonkey 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> Where have you been!

Scotland!

>Try getting some Black Pudding in the south of England.

I think you have found the route of the problem - get out of the SE of England to civilised lands, and then you can buy black pudding no bother at all

In reply to girlymonkey:

I'm trying! People keep telling me to be responsible though...
In reply to Eeyore:

I always preferred it raw, with blue cheese and pickles, and a glass of Laphroaigh with a dash of water.
FWIW, I'm a tee total vegan now, but there's no connection......
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Now that is different... are you sure there is no connection?
 Clarence 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

I love an oatcake (the midlands type not the scottish biscuit) spread with black pud, grated cheese and sliced tomato, topped with another oatcake and baked until it goes crispy. Its a bit like a midlands pizza.
 Wsdconst 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

I love it, and I love white pudding too. I only have them maybe twice a year though,as a special breakfast treat.
In reply to Wsdconst:

You might need to increase your intake.

Open question;

What is the difference between Black Pudding/Hogs Pudding/White Pudding? I really don't know so please educate me.
 abr1966 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

White pudding is without the blood....as Ben Fong told me one late night in Fort William!
 Wsdconst 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

The colour ? I've honestly no idea but in the tradition of ukc I'm sure someone will be along to enlighten us, and then someone else will be along to disagree
In reply to Eeyore:
There is a very good Hairy Bikers recipe for Lancashire Hot Pot that includes Black Pudding. I only put it in one side of pot though as Mrs Ratty is less partial than I am.
 dread-i 05 Jan 2016

>FWIW, I'm a tee total vegan now...

Don't let that stop you from enjoying Lancashire's finest.

http://www.reallancashireblackpuddings.co.uk/vpud/
http://www.veganoo.net/2013/03/review-v-pud-vegan-black-pudding.html
In reply to dread-i:

I so wanted to have a rant about your post, but I was so gobsmacked I can only leave you with this.

http://blogs.disney.com/oh-my-disney/2014/11/13/10-times-eeyore-had-a-reall...

Rough Day No 6 is how I feel.
 Ridge 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> Now we are getting somewhere.

> A small slice of black pudding topped with a scallop with a bit of your preferred seasoning really makes a good starter.

Also a touch of chilli to that combo works nicely.

By strange coicidence I've used the leftover black pudding from new year to enhance a quorn casserole...
 Ridge 05 Jan 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> There is a very good Hairy Bikers recipe for Lancashire Hot Pot that includes Black Pudding. I only put it in one side of pot though as Mrs Ratty is less partial than I am.

That's Cumbrian tattie pot, that is! (One of my happy discoveries when I moved up here)
In reply to Ridge:

My seasoning of choice was a touch of sweet chilli sauce, I just wasn't sure that it was to many people's taste.

Quorn - Bleurgh.
andymac 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

it's bloody offal.

Ba dum dum Chhhh
Post edited at 21:37
 Bulls Crack 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> A bit like marmite - I can take it or leave it.

? One or the other surely?!
In reply to dread-i:

> >FWIW, I'm a tee total vegan now...

> Don't let that stop you from enjoying Lancashire's finest.

Thanks for the link, looks great. Added to the shopping list...
 JEF 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Maybe we should have a thread about the explosive effects suffered from eating shellfish! Last time I ate a scallop I thought I was going to die!
 Steve Perry 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> Had some with scallops for lunch yesterday in a restaurant. Best - starter - EVER!

That's an amazing starter especially when it's a Bury black pudding.
 Albert Tatlock 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Fatty or lean ?
 Ridge 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> My seasoning of choice was a touch of sweet chilli sauce, I just wasn't sure that it was to many people's taste.

> Quorn - Bleurgh.

The Quorn had been lurking in the freezer since a veggie friend didn't visit a few months ago. Needs must
 SenzuBean 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Ridge:

I've just made quorn spag bol for dinner. It turns out that my superpower in life is to be able to make ridiculously tasty things once, and then be forever cursed trying to make it as good again - and this time was no different.
 BusyLizzie 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:
Black pudding... Anyone else remember that episode of The Goodies? Ecky thump?

(showing my age here...)

Tom Valentine 06 Jan 2016

It sounds like not many people have eaten it one of the most traditional ways;

boil a whole link, split it and scoop out the meat, eat with freshly made mustard and the bread of your choice.

It used to be sold like this on a stall in Oldham market years ago and still makes a reappearance in similar guise, served on a muffin, at the Scouthead brass band concert on Whit Friday (and probably other village venues during the same event).
 toad 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore: my mother in law eats it raw. This pretty much tells you all you need to know

In reply to Eeyore:

Love it, in fact I might go and make myself a sarnie with bp and pig.
 DerwentDiluted 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> It used to be sold like this on a stall in Oldham market years ago and still makes a reappearance in similar guise, served on a muffin, at the Scouthead brass band concert on Whit Friday (and probably other village venues during the same event).

No doubt served up by Fred Dibnah and Maxine Peake duet singing the Ewan Macoll songbook as red rose petals fall from t'sky.
Post edited at 09:11
 thedatastream 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Black pudding and haggis sarnies at the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven. Boom.
 Clarence 06 Jan 2016

My local chippie sells boiled black pud with chips and onion gravy but I prefer sliced and fried.
 Tom Valentine 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Black pudding is probably a reasonably healthy food as long as you ensure the pigs it's been made from had a cholesterol level of less than 4. I'm sure your butcher will be happy to enlighten you (as they say....)
 Shani 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> A bit like marmite - I can take it or leave it.

You've just sparked an idea - Marmite and black pudding sandwhiches. Mmmmmmm
 Clarence 06 Jan 2016

> ...as long as you ensure the pigs it's been made from had a cholesterol level of less than 4...

I'm sure some pharmaceutical rep is ringing round pig farms to flog them statins right now...
 Yanis Nayu 06 Jan 2016
In reply to toad:

> my mother in law eats it raw. This pretty much tells you all you need to know

I'm pretty sure it's a cooked product, so it's hot versus cold rather than cooked
 ripper 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I'm pretty sure it's a cooked product, so it's hot versus cold rather than cooked

this^

If it was 'raw' you wouldn't be eating it, you'd be drinking it....
 The New NickB 06 Jan 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> No doubt served up by Fred Dibnah and Maxine Peake duet singing the Ewan Macoll songbook as red rose petals fall from t'sky.

Two Boltoners, you can get stuffed!
 CurlyStevo 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Love it but rarely actually eat it. The best black pudding is invariably from Scotland as its seasoned properly.
In reply to Eeyore:

McCarthy's of Kanturk Co. Cork make fantastic black pudding.

Clonakilty pudding , also from Cork is very good too.

As a Dubliner it pains me to recommend anything from Cork but they do make good pudding down there.
 fmck 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

I think Calmac do Stornaway black pudding its nice as long as they have it still moist. I have many a memory of the stuff coming back time and again to haunt me as I walked in to climbs.
 Hat Dude 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

I add it to a Cumberland Sausage Casserole that I do; makes it beautifully rich.
 graeme jackson 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> You are all wrong. Best is from George Cockburn in Dingwall. Good haggis too.

Also one of the best steak pies I've ever had One of the few reasons I visit my mother in law now.'
 Doug 06 Jan 2016
In reply to graeme jackson:
probably heretical, but I prefer the French version which seems to have less fat, and particularly like the spicy 'Boudin antillais'. But a good Scottish Black pudding is also good
Post edited at 14:54
 GrahamD 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Making a comeback ? it never went away for me !
In reply to Doug:

Just looked up Boudin antillais - it does look good.
In reply to Hat Dude:

Will try adding it to a casserole, never thought of that.
 Hat Dude 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Here's a recipe; it went down very well when I did it for 40 people at a club Christmas meet a couple of years ago (obviously the quantities were increased)

Cumberland Sausage with Black Pudding Casserole (Serves 4)

500grms Cumberland Sausage
125grms Black Pudding, cubed
12 Shallots, peeled & whole
250grms Chestnut/Button Mushrooms
4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
200ml Red Wine
200ml Stock
1 tbs Tomato Puree
2 sticks Celery, finely diced
2 Carrots, finely diced
2 Onions, finely diced
Thyme, finely chopped
Bay Leaf
Salt
Black pepper
Olive Oil

Brown sausage & remove from pan.
Gently sweat down onion, celery, carrots, garlic & bacon in olive oil until soft & starting to turn golden.
Add sausages & remainder of ingredients & cook in oven for approx 50 mins.
Removed User 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> What is the difference between Black Pudding/Hogs Pudding/White Pudding? I really don't know so please educate me.

White, or mealie pudding is, in Scotland at any rate, made from oatmeal and beef suet. A good one is a hell of a lot tastier than it sounds. Aberdeenshire is probably the best place to get them.

Black pudding is food of the gods. I eat Bury ones often as I can get them from the Waitrose across the road, but Stornoway are probably the best imho. I've bought slabs of black pud from the market in Carlisle, once it was delicious and another time it was a waste of good pig's blood. I love the French boudin noir, much bloodier, pulpier and richer. Two of them and you get the full iron tablet overdose effect.

I hope the food fad crowd aren't going to force the price up too much like they did with pork belly and the previously almost free ham haughs.
 The New NickB 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Most of the supermarket black puddings seem to be from the Bury Black Pudding Company, the ones from the Real Lancashire Black Pudding Company, based Haslingdon, are far superior.

Thanks, I did look things up after I posted and was surprised to find that Hogs Pudding was different from White Pudding.

Hogs Pudding seems to be a SW England thing which explains why I see it more often (living in the SW). It's delicious btw.
In reply to Hat Dude:

Thanks
 Timmd 06 Jan 2016

> Black pudding is probably a reasonably healthy food as long as you ensure the pigs it's been made from had a cholesterol level of less than 4. I'm sure your butcher will be happy to enlighten you (as they say....)

I'm sure they will.
Removed User 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

This thread needs to be extended to an appreciation of other offal sausages.

A good haggis is of course delicious, but nothing can beat an andouillette.
Moley 06 Jan 2016

When I worked for a short spell in a commercial organic butchers we made faggots. Putting all manner of whole lumps of offal into a mincer and mulching it all up, chucked it all in - weighed to a recipe of course.
Seeing what goes in it is amazing that it comes out as such lovely grub, can't beat faggots and mushy peas and gravy.
Offal is underated, kidneys, liver, all yummy.
 Tom Valentine 07 Jan 2016

If I wanted to make an andouilette I would first of all dredge the nearest sewer.....
 bpmclimb 07 Jan 2016

I notice that Real Lancashire have brought out a vegan black pudding called Vpud. I haven't tried it, though .......
In reply to bpmclimb:

> I notice that Real Lancashire have brought out a vegan black pudding called Vpud. I haven't tried it, though .......

Real Yorkshire or Derbyshire would probably make it more palatable
 The New NickB 07 Jan 2016

Talk about lowering the tone.
In reply to The New NickB:

The thread had to go somewhere, I think it had outlived black pudding.
 The New NickB 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

> The thread had to go somewhere, I think it had outlived black pudding.

But to Yorkshire :-/
In reply to The New NickB:

I'd prefer Stornoway, but hey I'm not in charge of anything...
 Geras 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

I have lived in the south east/outskirts of London for over 30 years, I have had no problem finding Black pudding in all that time. However, you do need to know which stores are likely to stock it. e.g quality Butchers, or the up market Stores like M&S and Waitrose. Ironic for a food which used to be cheap working class fair!

BTW brought up in the North, which is probably why I like the stuff in the first place. Reminds me of my youth!
 Jim Fraser 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:

Anything with that amount of oats and that amount of iron in it will be good for you. Not a difficult assessment.
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I'm having second thoughts. Lots of oats and iron for a single bloke might not be such a good idea! That is the order for two Stornoway puddings cancelled.

Jim Fraser 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Eeyore:
It's well known that I like to get my oats.
Post edited at 02:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...