UKC

Windproof or light softshell with long torso?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 06 Jan 2016
I've seen the light regarding jacket breathability, and I'm trying to shift away from wearing a waterproof shell as a go to outer layer when it's too windy and/or cold for baselayer and fleece only. To that end, I've been wearing a Rab jacket I have made of Pertex Equilibrium on recent hillwalks. I like that it has additional features over a superlight windproof, like a wired, helmet compatible hood, and two map sized pockets.

However, I have long torso, short leg syndrome, and the Rab cut does not flatter this; I'm constantly pulling the thing down to stop it pulling out from my rucksack hipbelt. It's not the only jacket I've had this issue with, so not limited to the Rab fit, which is fine in every other respect besides torso length (I'm about 5'10, wear Medium usually).

Can anyone recommend me a windproof/Pertex top with a long torso? A lot of designs seem to be closer to short running tops than hill jackets. I think something in a size medium but with a body length of a long would be ideal! I would also consider light (00g roughly) woven, non-insualted softshells if it were to fulfil the same duty and have a good fit.

Any recommendations appreciated.
 Martin Bennett 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

My Outdoor Research Ferrosi (unlined very stretchy softshell) is good for that - long enough to stay tucked into harness etc. I'm a 40" chest and about 5'10" (but with short legs and a long back) and their medium is fine. Caveat: I've had mine some years now - I suppose they could have changed the design?
 nathan79 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

Have you checked out cycling tops/jackets? Might not meet all the requirements but you'll get that longer body length.
 Hat Dude 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

+1 for the Ferrosi

Though I'd say it's very wind-resistant rather than fully windproof.
 alasdair19 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

arcteryx - squamish hoody or the new v light soft shell
 galpinos 06 Jan 2016
In reply to alasdair19:

I have a Squamish Hoody and it's not exactly long in the body.
OP Taurig 06 Jan 2016
Thanks for the replies so far.

The OR Ferrosi has certainly piqued my interest; two recommendations here and a pretty glowing review from outdoorgearlab, which actually mentions the hem length:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Softshell-Jacket-Reviews/Outdoor-Research-Fer...

The wind resistant vs windproof is not a huge concern as I believe the Pertex Equilibrium is the former too. I don't find that hugely wind permeable, so if the Ferrosi was comparable I think that would work well.

Nathan79, I find the problem with cycling tops is that they have decent length to cover the arse, but are cut short at the front to account for the crouched riding position. That, and the fact they tend not to have hoods. Appreciate the suggestion, however.
 angry pirate 06 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I used to use a ferrosi but was never a fan of the lack of windproofing. I replaced it with a Rab alpine pullover in pertex equilibrium which is much more windproof (and sounds like the jacket you have now).
They were chalk and cheese tbh.
OP Taurig 06 Jan 2016
In reply to angry pirate:

Aah, right, I've just googled what my Rab top is and it is the Alpine Jacket, in Equilibrium as you say. That's good to know because I think that fabric is a good balance of weight, breathability and windproofness. If the Ferrosi is much less windproof and a bit heavier, maybe the fabric isn't ideal. It's a shame there's no windproof equivalent to hydrostatic head (that I'm aware of), because without trying it on the hill it's difficult to say whether it would do the job. All for breathability but not keen on something that lets the wind cut through you the second you stop. :-/
 BnB 07 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> I have a Squamish Hoody and it's not exactly long in the body.

But it's the best windproof I've tried
 galpinos 07 Jan 2016
In reply to BnB:

> But it's the best windproof I've tried

Agreed, but mine isn't long in the body. Due to North American sizing though, mine is a medium when I'm a UK/Euro brand large so maybe for someone 5'10 it would be ok?

I still prefer a thin stretch woven softshell like my ME Squal to clim in. Comfier, harder wearing and better friction when thrutching.

galpinos 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

> The wind resistant vs windproof is not a huge concern as I believe the Pertex Equilibrium is the former too. I don't find that hugely wind permeable, so if the Ferrosi was comparable I think that would work well.

I don't have the OR Ferrosi but Pertex Equilibrium is a LOT more wind resistant than a stretch woven softshell imo.
 Guy Hurst 07 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

How about one of the Paramo windproof jackets? They're certainly long enough, have good pockets and the fit on some of the more recent ones isn't as shapeless as it used to be. I think they do one specifically for climbing and mountaineering, so it should have a helmet compatible hood.
 BnB 07 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

I must be a different shape (long legs?) as I'm a shade under 6ft and no jacket has ever ridden up over my harness. Or maybe I'm not trying hard enough
OP Taurig 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Good shout, I would never have thought of looking at Paramo as I wasn't aware they did anything without a pile/fleece backing. Bit daft in hindsight. Are the lighter Bora/Fuera jackets and smocks particularly long? In my head I have an image of old-school knee length paramo jackets, but not sure about more modern versions.
 Bish 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

I have a bora windproof and i find it plenty long enough and im the same height as you. I have short legs so may have a long torso.

I would get the enduro windproof which would be better if its for bad weather/ winter tho as its a slightly heavier fabric which i find less flappy in heavy winds.
 Guy Hurst 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Taurig:

The Fuera is nice and long, but a bit old school Paramo in cut. From what I've heard the Enduro would be a better option -- slimmer cut and with a helmet compatible hood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...