UKC

Welsh 3000s solo, transport arrangements

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Laird 07 Jan 2016
Weather permitting, I'm hoping to do the welsh 3000s over Easter, but there's a chance I may be own my own.

I was thinking about leaving the car in Bethesda, then getting to Pen y Pass and spending the night at the YHA.

Any suggestions on how to get to Pen Y Pass? Buses or otherwise?

Rob
 Flinticus 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

Hitch. It works for me in Scotland. Make a sign beforehand.
 robhorton 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

There are basically no buses in the Ogwen Valley now (so much for the Snowdonia Green Key initiative...) but you should be able to hitch to Capel then either hitch or bus to PyP. Otherwise you could leave the car in Bangor (or go by train), get a bus to PyP, do the walk and come down to Abergwyngregyn then get the bus back to Bangor from there.
 starbug 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

Two buses will get you to Llanberis

Service: 6 - Bangor - BethesdaYsbyty Gwynedd (SW-bound), Grounds, Bangor

To: Ysbyty Gwynedd (SW-bound), Grounds, Bangor

then

Service: 85 - Llanberis - Bangor

To: Interchange (SE-bound), A4086, Snowdon Mountain Railway Stn, Llanberis

Stay in Llanberis or get bus upto Pen y Pass then walk up the big hill and start
the slog

The website below should help you plan your itinerary

http://www.traveline.cymru/
 rockcatch 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

You could park at Abergwyngregyn and then get a bus to Bangor, and another to Llanberis followed by Pen y Pass Youth Hostel. The advantage is whatever time you get back to Aber, your car will be waiting for you.
 Mike-W-99 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

When we did a round of the carnedds last year we double backed from foel fras and walked down the ridge a bit before dropping down to the track to Bethesda. Taxi back to ogwen.
We were going to use this for a full round of the 3000rs but weather and time meant we split it up a bit.
 Dr.S at work 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

You can do a figure of eight loop based in the ogwen valley, rather than the end to end - IainRUK posted somethong on it a while ago.

I've left a bike at pen Y pass and driven to the far end, then biked back - knackering and cramped up in bethesda.
 jayyaj 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

I did it solo a couple of years back. I parked in a carpark up the lane out of Abergwyngregyn, got a bus to Bangor, then to Llanberis and then to Pen y Pass. I then slept on the Snowdon summit and basically walked back to the car.
 Red Rover 07 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

I left the car in Llanberis on a random steet, walked up snowdon, did the 3000's. At the last summit I retraced my steps to one of the final peaks (cant remember the name) that was just above bethesda, a quck walk down into bethesda and I got a taxi back to Llanberis, cost 20 pounds.
OP Rob Laird 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

Thanks for all the replies.

I think that either bus or taxi will work, depending on what time I get up to north Wales the day before.

All I need now is some good weather...
 DaveHK 08 Jan 2016
In reply to rockcatch:

> You could park at Abergwyngregyn

That's never a real place! You just pulled random letters out a scrabble bag.
In reply to DaveHK:

Actually the name was made up by the Victorians to attract visitors. The village has officially just been called "Aber" since 1283 when Edward abolished the true name of Aber Garth Celyn since it was the site of the palace of the ruling princes of Gwynedd who he had just defeated.
 Dr.S at work 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Really! how interesting - was the palace on the site of the current village or up the valley in the open bowl below the falls? Its a delectable place....
 mbh 08 Jan 2016
In reply to Rob Laird:

PyP-Llanberis-Bangor-Aber takes ages on the bus.

We did it NS. We took a bike, dropped that at PyP YHA, then drove to Aber. Then we walked up to the lake and camped there, leaving a tent and our stuff. The next day, we did the W3000s and stayed at PyP. The morning after I rode back to Aber, walked up and back to the lake to get the stuff, then drove back to PyP to get my wife.
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Part of the original palace (probably) still stands as part of a private manor house - Pen y bryn - to the east of the village, although there is also suggestion that it occupied the Motte near the village centre.

The site was important partly because a relay chain of watchers/signallers on the surrounding mountain tops could keep watch over the Conwy valley as well as both ends of the menai straits, partly because it offered escape opportunities via the mountains but mainly because there was a mediaeval drovers causeway across Traeth Lafan to Anglesey, where most of the non-sheep/cattle agriculture of the Gwynedd principality took place.
OP Rob Laird 09 Jan 2016
In reply to mbh:

Didn't think about the bike option...

If I'm doing it solo, a bike in the car would be a possibility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...